• Navigation
Page 75 of 151 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1481 to 1500 of 3008
  1. #1481
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,291
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    So much of the game's community being clueless/misinformed for the first 4 years of the game I blame on the Brady Guide.

    I distinctly remember the second almanac thing they put it out--they delayed it, they said, so they could include Chains of Promathia areas--but when it was released, it contained no CoP content at all, and other than some Amano artwork, was nothing that you couldn't find out for yourself if you knew where to look on the Internet. Waste of $20.
    Oh god I forgot about guide.

  2. #1482
    Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,995
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Still remember leveling my sam as first job and dreading lvl55 and having to buy a nq Hauby. This was during the height of the inflation when they were going for 5 mil a pop. Spent 2 weeks running around trying to get WW up so I could HQ shihei only for a friend to give me his when he quit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #1483
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    nq Hauby. ... height of the inflation ... 5 mil a pop.
    LOL

  4. #1484
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,659
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Oh god I forgot about guide.
    WAR/WHM, you can heal AND dish out damage.
    DRK/BLM, wreak havoc on your foes with powerful magical damage.

    Says a guide that clearly didn't play the game. Fucking Brady, telling me that a quest rewarded a Water Ore only for it not to.
    -_-

    Also, Tonberry did not detect by scent, wtf man.

  5. #1485
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,689
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Best part of the guide was where it recommended PLD/DRK.

  6. #1486
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    I mained RDM/WAR for probably my first 40 levels thanks to that guide. Then again, in 2004 no one really gave much of a shit. I don't seem to recall anyone telling me I was a fucking n00b or anything.

    However, the good thing that guide had going for it was detailed explanations for quests. This was before the wiki existed, and before Windower even, so having to tab out to figure out what the fuck I was supposed to do was obviously not an option. That was its one saving grace for me. I remember getting AIM messages from my mom that would kick me from the game, fucking stupid non-windowed bullshit.

    Then there was the time when my son, who had recently learned to crawl, decided it would be hilarious to press that big blue button on the tower while I was in an xp party. Learned pretty quickly to cover the light with electrical tape so he wouldn't be tempted by it. Naturally, my ex-husband (who was tasked to watch him) thought this was fucking hilarious. I think I got him back for it at some point, though.

    Good times.

  7. #1487
    Hyperion Cross
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8,916
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    During the inflation fun nq hauby was 10 mil here, my friend sold his 2 sniper rings for 5mil each to get nq hauby.

    I was a loldrg at the time and brought 10 mil for a very low amout for a:



    The Regen+2 felt badass.

  8. #1488
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15,632
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    101

    Shit, I remember wanting one of those so bad when CoP came out. Was so happy to finally get one and get out of the AJ after wearing it forever.. Then decided the AJ was still better >.>;

  9. #1489
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,603
    BG Level
    8

    SE really took their time when it came to giving DRG respectable upgrades, both in vanity and utility.

    Story time:
    Spoiler: show
    BST and DRG were, ironically, my favorite advanced jobs early on, but I opted not to level either during the pre-Abyssea era as I had already punished myself enough after becoming one of the rare Taru DRK unicorns on Kujata. I then went on to dump all my savings into RNG/crafting, post-nerf, just cause of the cuteness overload and apparently getting 1-shotted wasn't easy enough as DRK lol

    I often joked about how much time, effort, and money that I put into those two jobs, where I could have easily made my first relic if I just rode my privileged cake ride as a lucky NA in a JPN LS who flew to lv60 on BLM in a couple of months after launch. I was always naive about how bad the JPN could be to NA players because most of my exp came from all JPN PTs, help with things like moldavite earring, rare scolls, missions, etc. That first year was so much fun, but I always wonder if it could have been better if I had joined one of the early NA HNMLS, since my JPN LS was too small to do anything outside of rams, birds, Serket, etc.

  10. #1490
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,264
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    During the inflation fun nq hauby was 10 mil here, my friend sold his 2 sniper rings for 5mil each to get nq hauby.
    I happen to have bought a Barnie (Byrnie) about a week before RMT Christmas, for something like 2-3m. Sold it during that Holy-day for something around 13m, and waited until after inflation leveled out to buy my HQ Haubie for about 3-4m. Ended up maintaining that leftover gil to the day I quit.

    Good Times.

  11. #1491
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,291
    BG Level
    9

    Yeah, SE was pretty slow on balance issues. It took 3 years for them to do a reasonable buff after the nerfed penta spam.

    And hauby hell... that was another screw up since there was nothing that came close to a hauby/sh.

  12. #1492
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    903
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    If we're telling noob stories I was one of the many first timer wars back in '03 subbing mnk and using a g.sword. Think I probably wore nq vit rings too zero fks were most certainly given. Least I never was a ghetto pld

  13. #1493
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I remember getting AIM messages from my mom that would kick me from the game, fucking stupid non-windowed bullshit.
    My solution to this pre-windower was to open a chat window with anyone at all likely to IM me. IM would then merely flash the existing window, instead of opening a new one. It's a habit I continue to this day, though now I do it more because it looks weird not to than anything else.

  14. #1494
    I stick my dick in Crayfish
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    885
    BG Level
    5

    I remember being an early summoner in parties, where summoner was still a new job and most people didn't have all of the avatars.

    If you busted out a Fenrir you were a fucking god. Nevermind the fact that you were contributing shit for damage and giving near meaningless buffs (and having to rest every other fight).

    I do remember how good it felt to have Fenrir though. The fight was badass. Summoning him was great. His total stat boost buff felt OP (even if it wasnt) due to all the buff icons.

  15. #1495
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,291
    BG Level
    9

    Funny enough when I leveled SMN for my Matts Cap I didn't have Fenrir.

    But yeah, I remember when I saw Garuda and Fenrir for the first time. Shit was amazing.

  16. #1496
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    i miss there being real support classes. XIV just has MP/TP restoration tacked onto shitty dps classes. astrologian comes closest but it's all RNG.

  17. #1497
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    I remember when I first started playing, I wanted to get SMN because I absolutely loved Yuna. Then I got SMN and I was like "This is so not like FFX at all wtf" and I was disappointed. Carby was cute though.

  18. #1498
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,603
    BG Level
    8

    I always tried to include SMNs when I formed my parties, they were usually hella-dedicated and on-point with their gear/spells, but in the end, I knew they were a sub-optimal choice for healing, buffs, and damage. Still, I never got tired of seeing those glowing demi-gods landing the MB or fucking shit up with Astral Flow every 2hrs.

  19. #1499
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    SMN burn later in the game was also one of the most fun things ever. The amount of accounts we went through trying to get 2hrs reset so we could go again. I had access to my ex-husband's account at the time and I went to unlock COR on his character specifically for that purpose. I never would have finished SMN if it hadn't been for that. I had so much fucking mage gear from RDM/WHM/BLM already being at 75 though that I was actually halfway decently geared on SMN.

    Then I'd get asked to go SMN to Odin and get SMN skillups off of him lmao. It was my gimp job.

  20. #1500
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    fucking skillchains/MBs, man. i miss that shit. i remember when i did maat for sam (my first) i had a 7-step skillchain all planned out to kick his ass, because i'd heard he was difficult. i managed to get three WS off before he keeled over. i think i was just popping meikyo shisui as the skillchain damage killed him.

Page 75 of 151 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 256
    Last Post: 2009-08-02, 15:44
  2. Why did you start smoking?
    By Klutz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 2008-07-14, 17:09