Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sorry if it's been asked before but is there anywhere that has a lengthly summary of the whole storyline (inc. expansion shenanigans)?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I think he meant XI

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    nothing felt more satisfying.. shy of beating Maat on my 3rd try as RDM

And now I wanna talk about my Maat fight lol. Well, I remember the second and third attempt more than the first. Second, I refused to be punked out by this guy and just wouldn't die the way he wanted, so he said fuck it, try to heal through back-to-back Asuran Fists. I didn't survive through the third .
    I always felt bad for rdms that didn't know how to solo shit. Ya'll missed out on soloing the entire game.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I think he meant XI
    Yeah I did but thanks for the XIV stuff as well lol

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I have Crohn's Disease, and my primary medication is delivered via infusion therapy. It's a pretty powerful medication, related to some types of chemo, I think. It leaves me in a curious state: I am both exhausted and restless, and often get a strange full-body ache. It's nothing new, and I'm used to dealing with it. Thank you.

I have a good community in FFXIV. Lots of friends. It's built around a core of us who stayed in contact after we quit FFXI, and we've focused on building the social aspect of the game. Unfortunately, we're completely on our own for coming up with FC-wide events, which is what I miss. There is NO support at all from SE's end. There's simply nothing to DO with more than 8 (MAYBE 24) people. So we make shit up. Games, contests, etc. They're pretty fun, and give us an opportunity to do silly shit as a big group, but they're really just something we do with our virtual avatars, not really anything to do with FFXIV as a game.

I miss being able to take ~40 people who could barely follow the command "follow the angry Galka" and ram them through Dynamis Windurst and come out of it with some game progression and a good story.
    Oh yeah I know Crohn's. My sister has it. Be well, buddy.

I mean the community in XIV is just not forced the same way it was in XI. Pretty much anything that isn't Coil (back before it was unsynced), current Alex Savage, maybe Sophia EX and a few others, can be done in duty finder. And if it can't be done in duty finder - it can be done in party finder. These tools are double-edged swords because they remove the forced socialization aspect that was so prevalent in XI even as they make XIV more streamlined and convenient. Sure, you could LFG and it was somewhat similar to party finder but the two major differences were that a) in XI you were LFG for literally almost all content, including quests and even just XPing, from level 10 forward and b) there was a lot of endgame content that required insane amounts of cooperating and also created tons of drama, which creates community for better or worse. Now you try and come up with a duty-finder or party-finder-esque way to handle claiming 72 hour Tiamat spawns... it can't be done. That stuff forced people to communicate and bond. It was awful and painful but also created a true sense of community. You got MPK'd on Nidhogg? Now that is something that will get people bonding, for better or worse. Linkshells botting for spawns, RMT, all of that - it was some of the most problematic elements of XI that ironically made it so magical.

Endgame seems to get a bit better. I've been doing my FATEs for Anima weapons and running into random people and joining up with them is a blast even if we don't socialize at all. It feels more exciting than dungeons and raids, to be honest. Not sure why. And I've been pony farming here and there in party finder, running into the same people over and over again and even adding a few of them to my friends list (and also one who is on my drama list. "accidentally" put on quartermaster, twice on two separate occasions? I DON'T THINK SO).

Mostly though, I think XIV is just... easy. There's no need to coordinate. Run in, avoid the AoEs, kill the adds, do the mechanic, get your loot. I look forward to staticking some of the real endgame content; I hope that adds a bit more of a social atmosphere to my experience.

Also, RDM Maat is a pussy. Sleep -> Nuke -> Chainspell what is wrong with people. 1/1 on that battle, but then again I solo'd shit way above my level just for fun because I was that RDM.

God I hope RDM makes it into Stormblood. 95% sure that Scarlet Witch shirt means it's in. But that 5% chance I'm wrong scares me...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by FallingHigher View Post
    Yeah I did but thanks for the XIV stuff as well lol
    Oh soz. I uh...

I know ffxiclopedia at one point had the entire chatlines for missions in them. I don't know if that continued after WotG or the fifth expansion.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm reminded of FFXI Atlus being hit with viruses all the time.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    someone posted this on reddit, and oh man did it take me back.

Spoiler: show

I call forth, the divine powers of Alanta <call0>
    begins to lift the rock from the ground with his power.
    YESSSSSSSSSSS I FEEL THE BOOOST OF POWAR!<call1>
    CAN YOU FEEL IT VANADEIL? THIS IS TRUE POWER!
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH<Call2>
    <Call17>Current power stats:
    power bar [|||||| ] 30%
    power bar [||||||||||||||||| ] 65%
    power bar [||||||||||||||||||||||| ] 100%
    NOW GATHER AROUND MY BROTHERANS
    HERE I GO
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU<Call3>
    /ja "Boost" <me>
    MY NEXT ATTACK WILL NOW DO MORE DMG<Call1>
    power begins to fade
    power bar [|||||||||||||||||| ] 75%
    power bar [|||||||||]40%
    power bar []0%
    I tried my best, tell me..
    will i dream <Call10>
    BOOST MACRO READY
    Where's the longer one that took all the Macro slots?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

somepage would have hidden scripts sometimes and I heard killingifrit is completely gone now.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Still my favorite XI chat snippet (Chilicheese responding to an RMT guy in sky)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post

Also, RDM Maat is a pussy. Sleep -> Nuke -> Chainspell what is wrong with people.
    That doesn't always work and you know that. Sometimes that bastard resists both sleeps, or just happily resists most of your Aero III's during Chainspell, and if you manage to survive after that, he'll just nail your ass with asuran fists for taking too long. It ain't nothing wrong with people. I'll go on to say you just got lucky.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

RDM/DRK/MNK Maat were the most luck based when I squared off with him.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Thief too no?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I did it on Bard.

It was really easy.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That doesn't always work and you know that. Sometimes that bastard resists both sleeps, or just happily resists most of your Aero III's during Chainspell, and if you manage to survive after that, he'll just nail your ass with asuran fists for taking too long. It ain't nothing wrong with people. I'll go on to say you just got lucky.
    1/1 on RDM Maat in 2004 using sleep/nuke/chainspell aero strategy. Come at me bro!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    i remember going 1/2 on maat monk , first fight i though i had it in the bag then i took a dragon kick to the face with counterstance up and died instantly lol XD

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

git gud scrub. 1/2 rdm maat sleep nuked it all the way down no chainspell or meds or even convert but full enfeeble and nuking and resting sets including hq staffs for the important elements ie wind dark earth and ice. On the very very rare chance he resisted both sleeps that's what grav and bind and maintain distance are for. Kept up slow and paralyze while he was asleep didn't bother with silence because him casting was preferable to coming at me. Maat never got within melee range of me on the successful run almost timed out though cause totally forgot about convert/chainspell and was resting for mp. He was resisting most of a spell you definitely needed more int/skill

Loss was for completely unrelated matter. Specifically I had this great idea that I could take off his blink with dia forgetting that literally just a couple of weeks earlier an update changed blink to sometimes let hits thru. Was going well until I dispelled stoneskin and he came right at me when I wasn't prepared. Took a lot of dmg trying to resleep him not realizing what happened. Well shouldn't say try both landed but yeah dia. By the time I realized and got bind on my buffs were gone and I was deep in the red. Not exactly optimal conditions to try and kite until dia wears off.

New Merits
    BG Level

Bleh, on my connection at the time Maat could use Asuran fists on you from the other side of the burning circle. By the time you saw the "sleep has worn off" message he probably had already hit you with 3 asuran fists back-to-back and was laughing over your corpse.

That said, when he didn't resist every spell (even with HQ staves and capped skills) and hit you with an unending asuran fist chain (upto the full circular part of the BC width away) then the same sleep / nuke pattern you could use on most mobs worked.

There was something good about it though. It felt like you were proving you knew your job. FFXI was full of mile-stones like this on the way to 75.

Changes to levelling camp locations, significant gear changes, rank and story missions, limit-breaks... it was just enough to keep you hooked...

Like many games though, it helped when the RNG gods smile upon you.

Edit: I mined in movalpolos to get those staves. Another place where the RMT would try and MPK you. Other classic places they tried were juju gi NM, Mee Deggi and Quu Domi... as a rdm you could just sneak / invis to avoid the trains they brought and they often would die themselves... :D