Page 23 of 157 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 3134
  1. #441
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,703
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

    Surprised he is wearing a gold dress

  2. #442
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,805
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Literally nothing needs to stay the same and probably shouldn't, being familiar but up to date should be ideal. Pretty much the worse thing they could do is change mini-games into cut-scenes, since it did a lot to break up the monotony, but if there's a chance FF7 could be better than before, why not let it try?
    Because that chance is pretty much zero. Not because they're incapable of making anything better, but because once people latch onto something (anything), it's near impossible to get them to change their mind, and accept that a new thing is better. And with something as subjective and nostalgic as this, it's going to be that much harder.

    Here's the thought process we'll have to go through to accept that something new/different is better:
    1. "oh man, I remember this part, this is going to be great!"
    2. "hmmm, I don't remember it being like this"
    3. "man, why'd they change it?"
    4. "eh, this is pretty good too, I guess"
    5. "actually, I think this is better"
    6. "I'm glad they changed it"


    Here's the thought process if they keep things pretty much the same:
    1. "oh man, I remember this part, this is going to be great!"
    2. "this is exactly what I remembered this to be, just with better graphics, awesome!"

    The human mind is naturally geared towards the latter pattern, in large part because it's easier.

    As mentioned above, it's their game to make, and they can make it however they want. But if they truly want this to be a tribute to the original, and want fans to play it with the same fondness, they shouldn't stray very far from the original.

    Now of course, if they stayed too close to the original, and people feel that the updated graphics no longer match the tone, people will do their fair share of complaining too, and wondering why they didn't change more. But that's a separate issue. They're basically screwed either way, unless they find the perfect balance, which probably leans much closer to the original.

  3. #443
    Brokage
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,324
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzer View Post
    Troy Baker's convinced the VO was George Clooney. Mind blown.
    I mean, it does kind of sound like Georgie at times, but only if he deliberately gottle-fried and lowered his already pretty low voice. Plus, he's the type of guy who just uses his regular voice for everything. Even in the South Park movie, he didn't alter his voice at all. So I'm having a hard time buying it

  4. #444
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Anakron View Post
    Because that chance is pretty much zero. Not because they're incapable of making anything better, but because once people latch onto something (anything), it's near impossible to get them to change their mind, and accept that a new thing is better. And with something as subjective and nostalgic as this, it's going to be that much harder.
    While I generally agree there isn't a huge chance the changes will be for the better I think it's worth more to try than to not. People's mindsets are always going to be the worst and the path of least resistance is king.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anakron View Post
    Here's the thought process we'll have to go through to accept that something new/different is better:
    1. "oh man, I remember this part, this is going to be great!"
    2. "hmmm, I don't remember it being like this"
    3. "man, why'd they change it?"
    4. "eh, this is pretty good too, I guess"
    5. "actually, I think this is better"
    6. "I'm glad they changed it"
    I think that's a little long-winded but true, though I suspect most people stop at "why'd they change it" or accept it at that point. Even so, it's still 3 to 2 and while I want to say don't overestimate how long it takes people to adjust there is no helping some.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anakron View Post
    Here's the thought process if they keep things pretty much the same:
    1. "oh man, I remember this part, this is going to be great!"
    2. "this is exactly what I remembered this to be, just with better graphics, awesome!"

    The human mind is naturally geared towards the latter pattern, in large part because it's easier.

    As mentioned above, it's their game to make, and they can make it however they want. But if they truly want this to be a tribute to the original, and want fans to play it with the same fondness, they shouldn't stray very far from the original.

    Now of course, if they stayed too close to the original, and people feel that the updated graphics no longer match the tone, people will do their fair share of complaining too, and wondering why they didn't change more. But that's a separate issue. They're basically screwed either way, unless they find the perfect balance, which probably leans much closer to the original.
    You're already straying far from the original if you change the overall graphic style (or update it...but like those pictures in previous posts fucking nightmare fuel). I'm not suggesting the chibi-block people thing was intentional, but like FF6 (or any 2D FF) the goofy, silly, charming shit is infinitely more charming with that style. You change that, everything needs to change. The story, the presentation, the execution etc.

    And I wouldn't presume this to be a tribute to fans more so than any other large FF-game which could get them stupid money. Not only do they want old fans, but new ones as well but at this point they can still play the original since it's alive and kicking. It's a hellish balancing act that I wouldn't want a part of.

    The only thing I can say for certainty is that not changing stuff is definitely 100% safer and easier than changing it.

  5. #445
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    566
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Why would wanting change = wanting a movie? That makes no sense.
    You're right and I apologize. Without full context, it doesn't make sense. People (I no longer recall if it was in this thread or another) are taking the position that you can remove pieces of the story and turn minigames into cutscene without compromising what Final Fantasy VII is. To me, that is something that you would do if you wanted a movie-cut of the game. So wanting change does not mean you want a movie, but certain types of changes make it seem like what people want is Advent Children quality cutscenes with gameplay (Final Fantasy XV) and not Final Fantasy VII remade.

    As I alluded to before, you don't have to radically change everything to give players a new experience. Personally, I'm not against things like combat changes, but I don't believe that shedding the story, plot, characterization, and charm that made the game so loved is the right way to go about it.

  6. #446
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,821
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Dengeki interview quote, from Nomura, about the general plan for the game: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17...-to-its-story/

    “I can’t share too much for now, but it won’t be a simple remake,” says Nomura. “If we were to simply just make the graphics look pretty for the new generation consoles, I don’t think it could surpass the original version. If that’s what you wanted, I think it’d be enough to just play the original International version on PlayStation 4, and it would be satisfying enough.”

    “We’ve yet to show any screenshots from the game, but it has vastly evolved, so please look forward to it,” Nomura continues. “Again, this time, since the story is being handled by Nojima, that also means that there will be more work added to it, so please look forward to that as well.”

  7. #447
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,254
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    ‏@VG247
    Final Fantasy 7 director says “Please look forward” to crossdressing Cloud in the remake
    http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/fina...gritty-remake/

  8. #448
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,886
    BG Level
    10

    Just think if you step into the overworld for the first time, and it's like the outdoor awesome zone in FFXIII, and the whole overworld is rendered like that.

  9. #449
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Nomura knows what's up, crisis averted.

    Or started, if you're a...shit I never did come up with a word.

  10. #450
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,842
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Nomura knows what's up, crisis averted.

    Or started, if you're a...shit I never did come up with a word.
    Insecure POS?

  11. #451
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    943
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    You're right and I apologize. Without full context, it doesn't make sense. People (I no longer recall if it was in this thread or another) are taking the position that you can remove pieces of the story and turn minigames into cutscene without compromising what Final Fantasy VII is. To me, that is something that you would do if you wanted a movie-cut of the game. So wanting change does not mean you want a movie, but certain types of changes make it seem like what people want is Advent Children quality cutscenes with gameplay (Final Fantasy XV) and not Final Fantasy VII remade.

    As I alluded to before, you don't have to radically change everything to give players a new experience. Personally, I'm not against things like combat changes, but I don't believe that shedding the story, plot, characterization, and charm that made the game so loved is the right way to go about it.
    I mean the original FF7 had a ton of cutscenes, mostly because they didn't have the technology to make it more seamless. They do now, so I'd expect less cutscenes. Seamless battle is also more realistic now too... These things add rather then detract in my opinion. Most of the mini-games were just glorified QTE's, I'd hope for better this time around anyways.

    Also there's a difference between what the story is and how you get there. It's hard to imagine the "what" changing, but what I'm hoping for is a change in the "how". If it's a step-by-step replay of the original it's just not that interesting. In that case I'd have much preferred the original team were just working on a new "spiritual successor" type game.

    Basically the only things I really want the same are the story arcs and materia as the core concept behind gameplay. I hope everything else feels very different. Like I said before it'd be great if you could play FF7 PS1 and FF7 PS4 back-to-back and have two different experiences.

  12. #452
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Insecure POS?
    I mean it's a little on the nose but OK.

  13. #453
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    Keeping cross-dressing Cloud gives me faith that the game will resemble the original on at least some level. Although I fear that Sailor Red will hit the cutting block floor; I can't imagine how he would even look with PS4 graphics.

  14. #454
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Change it, baby. This is your game as much as mine. Follow your vision. I've still got the original if I just HAVE to go back and play it.

  15. #455
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,842
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Inb4 we get a humanoid Red XIII


  16. #456
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,939
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Just think if you step into the overworld for the first time, and it's like the outdoor awesome zone in FFXIII, and the whole overworld is rendered like that.
    I would die twice.

  17. #457
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Inb4 we get a humanoid Red XIII

    only if you use this as a base:






    except, you know, male.

  18. #458
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    917
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Broz Bastrum
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Thats what i'm secretly hoping for but keeping my expecations on that one pretty low since that would be a pretty big undertaking.

  19. #459
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,886
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I would die twice.
    It would pretty much be the sickest shit ever.

  20. #460
    XI was, and will always be, better.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,650
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    I can't keep up with this thread, or Elcura's walls of text

    but I don't really mind the thought of them changing the battle system. I'd like to turn based system, but if its more live action I can roll with it.

Page 23 of 157 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast