+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pc Not starting     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Pc Not starting

I looked for a random question / help thread but I am on tapatalk and I have no idea how to use it so I'm making a new one. I'm sorry.

Pc didn't start yesterday. Would cycle on but not power much. Took it out to clean it then it wouldn't light up mobo at all.

Switched from a 750 to 430 and This power supply works but I think it's too low. Only 430. Turns the mobo light on and pushing the on button starts the fans and makes the blue light come on but quickly stops and goes back to nothing

Any suggestions before I just start making ludicrous purchaes. Is this what wounds happen if the ps isn't enough watts, cmos batt, or mobo itself?

Sorry it's not much to go on I'd type more if I wasn't so fucking pissed and hate sitting here on my phone.

Thanks.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Need to know the model of the PC

or the individual pieces name (mobo GFX etc) to calculate the needed voltage

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

As Rata said, need to know all info on the pc. Also, did you try breadbording it?

I'll get the best info I can. It's just parts I've built over the years. The mobo is so old.

Ok right now its got an antec 430w power supply

M4A87TD usb3 mobo by asus

Amdfx 6100 six core processor

Video card is evga gtx 660

I switched some cables and plugged in the video card and main ssd harddrive. Top case fan (antec 900) did not start, but video card fans did and it started loading the main harddrive.

Turned it off because it seemed like it was struggling

I think I just need a more powerful supply, but any other info you guys have is welcomed. Going to head to frys.

The mobo and original ps are the oldest parts to this computer and are ancient. Feel free to give me shit over the mobo.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Card alone need 450W

So you need at least a 550-600 minimum imo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah at least a quality 550w psu like a XFX TS series 550w. I'd recommend XFX, Seasonic, Antec, and EVGA P2/B2/GS units.

Yup. Got a new Thermaltake Smart Series 750w for $80 at Fry's. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153174

Sorry for being so whiny. Hate having PC troubles and having to resort to googling/posting from my phone. One day I'll have two computers for the fuck of it. One day! Thanks for the replies/help. If I come back here I'll make sure to bring specs with me, too.

By the way, computer is fucking QUIET. I had no idea a new PSU would make such a difference, and I am not sure how good of a PSU I bought is (bought it on the Fry, ahahahahaaa...) but it's working so far and I'll monitor temps. Bought air cans, too and did a once over with one. :D

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

It will get you through. When you're able I'd suggest getting an EVGA or XFX quality 750w+. It will help when you upgrade your cpu/mb set and what not.

Sounds good, thanks!

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Thermaltake is high quality, you got a solid one

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Hard to say the Smart Series is a quality power supply. Newegg's psu hierarchy doesn't list it, but Tom's and Reddit list's it as a Tier 4 (out of Tier 1-5 with 1 being the highest).
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
    http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg
    https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...1/t/45344.aspx

To be honest, I had seen this deal and thought I had picked up this at the store: http://www.frys.com/product/8041474?...%20date:101415

AFter I bought it I realized it was a different once, but the one I got is same watts and same price before I had to do any mail in rebates, so for now, this is good. I am planning on streaming soon and this will be a nice start. EVentually an upgrade will be necessary but I need to kinda look at what I want to upgrade overall before I redo an entire system.

The CPU, Vid and memory are all still rather decent.

Only been playing League and netflix the last couple hours but hit a max of 57c on CoreTemp. This is with the case open on the side and a front panel missing so yea.

Edit: Saved that Tier link.