BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Reisenjima Mega Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Pretttty sure everyone's on the same page about what's meant by resistance. And while I'm sure innate elemental resistances are a thing, my disagreement is on how widespread they are and how I'm fairly certain most of the ones that are "common knowledge" are unsubstantiated bullshit.

Banned.

BG Level

Not nuking crabs with water is common knowledge, must be bullshit. ALL enemies have resistances and weaknesses (read: LESS resistance) to every single element. Neutral = 0 = normal damage, no particular resistance. Strong against = high resistance, for example darkness on a skeleton (this is before counting straight elemental damage reduction, which some enemies have to their particular element) Weak to = negative resistance, meaning they are less likely to resist than either neutral or strong (this is before elemental damage bonus, such as fire and light on umbrils)

If you seriously can't accurately assess what elements work well on an enemy through experience of personally nuking it, you are a bad mage. I'm not talking about taking your Uncle Bob's advice to nuke ice elementals with wind, or reading some wiki, I'm talking about actually playing the game. The exact same process you would use for determining that Bolt3 would probably be a good idea to use on a fish enemy in FF5 or whatever. Makes me wonder how people have beaten any RPG ever with this attitude

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    Pretttty sure everyone's on the same page about what's meant by resistance. And while I'm sure innate elemental resistances are a thing, my disagreement is on how widespread they are and how I'm fairly certain most of the ones that are "common knowledge" are unsubstantiated bullshit.
    I think while there are probably some which are crap from eyeballing, thats for sure, but I'd like to think that many of them are legitimate as in many cases its plainly obvious a creature has at least, a specific strength. I'm not saying all of them are profound, but I'd wager every enemy at least has some strengths, even if its say, +10 Fire Resists while +0 others. But short side is I understand the skepticism.

Now this is all conjecture, but i'd also wager enemies who are "Weak" to something probably just have +0 Resistance to it, or considerably less than their other resistances (I.E +200 to all but +50 to (X)), as going into the negative (at least used too) makes more of a difference than it should. Its been a long time but I remember back when I used my Sirocco Kukri low level enemies, like level 30~ Quadavs, had remarkably high accuracy with Paralyze with only -8 Ice resist. This is assuming Monsters work the same...

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I think while there are probably some which are crap, I'd like to think that many of them are legitimate. If I'm not mistaken as mentioned previously I thought when SE did the big Skillchain adjustment there was a dev post mentioning how the Skillchains (Like Light/Dark) chose an element based on the enemies resistance, so it would stand to reason each enemy has resistances and strengths.

I'm not saying all of them are profound, but I'd wager every enemy at least has some strengths, even if its say, +10 Fire Resists while +0 others.
    Yeah SE mentioned the element of a skillchain is the element an enemy has least resistance to. For example if you make Darkness on a crab, it will either be Dark/Water/Ice/Earth (there's a particular order for this, I forget what it is but I believe Darkness is actually the last element checked) so normally Darkness on a crab will be Ice damage because of those elements crab have the least resistance to Ice. However, some people have noted that if you used things like Thredonies on an ememy before skillchaining it, the element will change. Sometimes this actually results in accidentally healing an enemy with a skillchain they would not normally be healed by, because they now have low resistance to an element they are normally more resistant to and healed by (some enemies actually have neutral resistance to elements that heal them, so decreasing their resistance can actually make them "weak" to it) so the skillchain switched to that element (which, at the time, was the lowest resistant element in the order of operations for skillchain elemental affinity)

Now this is all conjecture, but i'd also wager enemies who are "Weak" to something probably just have +0 Resistance to it, or considerably less than their other resistances (I.E +200 to all but +50 to (X)), as going into the negative (at least used too) makes more of a difference than it should. Its been a long time but I remember back when I used my Sirocco Kukri low level enemies, like level 30~ Quadavs, had remarkably high accuracy with Paralyze with only -8 Ice resist. This is assuming Monsters work the same...
    It doesn't really make a difference, it's just a different way at looking at it. For example this could be a level 99 crab's stats (these are just example numbers)

500 Magic Evasion

0 0 -50 0
    -50 0 200 0

It would be the same as if a crab simply had 500 resistance to neutral elements, 700 resistance to water, 450 resistance to to ice and thunder.

Going into the "negative" doesn't actually make it any worse because they already have a certain amount of magic evasion to all elements based on their level. If the -8 ice resistance was really making a difference then that just means it lowered your elemental magic evasion enough for their magic hit rate accuracy check with paralyze to succeed. Usually when fighting some enemies, you have juuuuust enough resistance to resist adequately, so even a small decrease can make you more susceptible (just like adding magic accuracy when you're right at the threshold to being able to land a spell acceptably)

Campaign
    BG Level

Magic Evasion and Elemental Resistance are not the same thing (just element specific).
    They're two different things and we don't know what's the ratio of conversion to compare them.

There has been a similar discussion already comparing Languor to Threnodies.

Banned.

BG Level

That wasn't the point.

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    these are just example numbers
    No one knows the exact conversion rate for elemental resistance/magic evasion, it could be 1:1 for all we know and 1 magic evasion could simply increase all 8 elemental resistances by 1 (invisibly)

Either way it was an example for visualizing enemy resistance

Campaign
    BG Level

Going by SE's official numbers comparing Threnody and Languor no, it's not 1:1

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    Yeah SE mentioned the element of a skillchain is the element an enemy has least resistance to. For example if you make Darkness on a crab, it will either be Dark/Water/Ice/Earth (there's a particular order for this, I forget what it is but I believe Darkness is actually the last element checked) so normally Darkness on a crab will be Ice damage because of those elements crab have the least resistance to Ice. However, some people have noted that if you used things like Thredonies on an ememy before skillchaining it, the element will change. Sometimes this actually results in accidentally healing an enemy with a skillchain they would not normally be healed by, because they now have low resistance to an element they are normally more resistant to and healed by (some enemies actually have neutral resistance to elements that heal them, so decreasing their resistance can actually make them "weak" to it) so the skillchain switched to that element (which, at the time, was the lowest resistant element in the order of operations for skillchain elemental affinity)
    idr SE saying anything about this, but we spent some time figuring it out:
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/10...ental-Affinity

I believe we proposed it could be used to approximate monster elemental resistances (combined with various methods to lower them specifically, like threnodies, ninjutsu, AM, etc.), but it was really too annoying for anyone to bother with so they didn't.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think while there are probably some which are crap from eyeballing, thats for sure, but I'd like to think that many of them are legitimate as in many cases its plainly obvious a creature has at least, a specific strength. I'm not saying all of them are profound, but I'd wager every enemy at least has some strengths, even if its say, +10 Fire Resists while +0 others. But short side is I understand the skepticism.

You probably were just more aware of it because you were wearing it. For people who actually tried resist setups they it was quite apparent that little bits like that did well little

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    You probably were just more aware of it because you were wearing it. For people who actually tried resist setups they it was quite apparent that little bits like that did well little
    The positives, yes, I had a Fire resist build back in the day and I also use bar-spells to guard against certain things and it seems like they dont work as well as they should. Its only dipping into the negatives is what causes an absurd landing spike from enemies. I'm happy to test it if you can find me an item thats not stupid to obtain with some elemental resist - on it, shouldn't be too hard to pull a few WHM or RDM quadavs and sit in a corner while they cast spells on me, with and without the resist gear.

I'd like to imagine with 119 gear and all its magic evasion, if a level 30 quadav lands paralyze on me with nearly perfect Accuracy (which it was) because of ~-8 Ice evasion like it was back then, I can at least rest easy knowing I'm not crazy...

I'm thinking Weathering Shield might be worth it for this test, its got -10 to everything, will make testing a lot simpler.

i'll have to disagree with me noticing it just because of the -8 resist though. Believe it or not I did pay attention to my resist rates back in the 75 days ._.; When you farm Quadavs for a long time and suddenly you're always paralyzed, it stands out, even now which is like... 4, 5 years later? It wasn't a one-off, it was quite consistent and by high accuracy I mean high accuracy. I'm not saying you couldn't be right but it still stands out to me even all these years later :\

Who knows it could have changed by now and the whole Magic Evasion+ on gear my completely fuck with my findings if I try to retest it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Captured out Re-clear of Erinys in it's full length.

It's not very entertaining since you beat it by not fucking up your Mew rotation for 30 minutes but I am sure it can help someone out there to get a better feel for the fight.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Stolen from FFXIAH SCH topic:

So I went into Abyssea and Helixed Kur to death a few times. Safe bet that Helix tocks do indeed cap at 10,000.

Helix did 11,862 damage, and dropped him 19% HP
    Each tock took 16%~ off

Kur has roughly 60,000HP.

11,862/60,000= 0.1977
    10,000/60,000= 0.1666

So the Helix cap seems indeed real. Don't waste Modus when you are near the cap then. For Reisen HELM, especially Sandworm, 10k is the number to aim for while bringing the lowest person count possible to make Helix the strongest in relation.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I did not test if Modus exceeds the cap, mainly because it kept friggin missing lol

I couldn't get one to stick before my internet died. ISP technician is coming on tuesday, but if it's a bit more stable I'll see if I can get something a bit more definitive.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Schah Video uploaded by JP players:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4a...9Z2MV_n8hUWCLQ

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion View Post
    Captured out Re-clear of Erinys in it's full length.

It's not very entertaining since you beat it by not fucking up your Mew rotation for 30 minutes but I am sure it can help someone out there to get a better feel for the fight.
    I am definitely going to put nyan cat on repeat for the fight if we do this.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I am definitely going to put nyan cat on repeat for the fight if we do this.
    Cait Sith will do it for you

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you want the mathy garbage, it's in the SCH guide on page 43, first post. Did more testing today.

Both Helix and Kaustra cap at 10,000 or 9,999 damage per tock (tick for Kaustra).

Modus Veritas does not exceed this cap, and will bring a helix up to the cap if the initial damage was sufficient, but still halves the duration. (i.e. 7k becomes capped but still gets halved duration, a net loss in total damage but overall higher DPS until it wears off)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Thx for doing the hard work.

cap at 10,000 or 9,999 damage per tock (tick for Kaustra).
    This is my place to say "I fucking knew it heathens" and tapdance out backwards.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Which just makes me wonder even more wtf they were worried about with modus..

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

They probably added that cap at the same time as the modus nerf