+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic Burst Bonus     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Magic Burst Bonus

I'm trying to figure out the current state of this. It seems that former testing indicated that there were at least two categories of magic burst bonus, job traits and gear. Some gear added to the job traits category (gear that people say 'break the cap' or whatever) and that the gear category capped at 40% and that both terms are multiplied together. Is this right? With new job points and new gear, the marginal gains using magic burst bonus equipment has changed. Not sure what is best anymore. Figured I'd make a thread about it as wading through pages and pages of old posts sucks and I'm sure others want clarity as well.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I haven't done any testing recently, but my impression from past work is that both types of magic burst damage enhancement are additive into one bonus.
    Category 1) AMII merit bonuses, Atma, Atmacite, and most equipment are in one category that has a cap of 40% potency.
    Category 2) Job Traits, Job Points, Gifts, and Mujin Band/Amalric Gages/+1 are in another category with no known cap.

So if you had +40% potency from the first category, you could conceivably also have another 11% from gear, 13% from trait, 20% from JPs, and 23% from Gifts on BLM (I think), which would make the total term +107% damage. This is multiplicative with the normal 160-200% boost from magic bursting a skillchain.

So you could imagine taking a 39k non-MBed Death spell against a neutral target and then cast it instead on a monster with 50 MDB that has Vidohunir/Shattersoul active (-10 MDB) and Bolstered Geo-Malaise (-90 MDB) (78k damage) as an MB with +101% magic burst damage on a 4-step skillchain (439k damage) with Soldier's Drink on (658k). Boom, unresistable headshot.

As Ejiin's group has discovered, though, you're pretty much limited to one big MB per skillchain. The second one is nerfed all to shit. Still, I have to imagine it wouldn't take too many of these to kill almost anything.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That's ignoring the damage cap, though (unless they removed that since the last time I checked).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Are you talking about the display damage cap of 99,999, or some other cap?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Last time I tested it, 99,999 was the actual cap for everything not called Barrage. They might have changed it recently, but that was definitely the actual cap a while ago.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This raises additional questions~

Is Death affected by the accumulated magic damage adjustment when multiple spells are cast in succession? (http://www.playonline.com/pcd/update...N1/detail.html). I'm assuming this is why you've asserted that you can only have one big magic burst. The patch does not list dark magic, and I've had a hunch that it isn't affected by it, although I haven't tested for it.

Is damage actually capped at 99,999, or is it a display cap? I was told the former although I never saw data, so I remained skeptical.

Also, this is somewhat related (sorry for the barrage of questions), but has anybody ever tried using Rayke on Jailer of Temperance?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Death is affected. I had heard there wasn't an actual cap, but if the real cap is 99,999 then that's just silly.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If 99,999,999 is the actual cap then the decrease in damage for successive nukes is not as big as people are making it sound. Second nuke is generally 10k behind the 99k and there have been instances (usually pluton fights) where two people hit 99k on the same volley. I had always assumed that was because the first nuke was well over the 99k displayed.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's at least 60%. It's also possible that damage is capped at 99,999, but that the reduction is applied before the cap. Would mean that you can possibly magic burst many deaths on the same skillchain without any serious detrimental affects.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It seems silly to have a 99,999 cap when it's so easy to hit in so many different ways.

Barrage (and Sange) are both essentially multiple consecutive ranged attacks, so I thought the lack of a cap on those abilities was just a glitch in SE's display system. It could be that each individual action is genuinely capped at 99,999 damage and Barrage/Sange just get around it by technically being multiple consecutive actions, though. That would have been a pretty lame way to go.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just retested. On Volatile Matamata after the 7th TP move, Aero I and Blizzard V both took off 28% when they did 99,999.

99,999 is the cap.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks for the test. I imagine without the cap you could do some really cheesy 1 shots using magic bursted deaths.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

And on the other hand, there's no compelling reason to gear perfectly or create conditions even close to optimal (6x cap damage) because the cap exists.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Honestly, 99,999 didn't really become feasible on content that actually mattered before the Magic Burst update. Before that, hitting 99,999 never really happened outside of Volatile Matamata, Dimgruzub, or brew.

99,999 cap was just fine for years, and SE is just slow to adjust again.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Last time I tested it, 99,999 was the actual cap for everything not called Barrage. They might have changed it recently, but that was definitely the actual cap a while ago.
    Edit: nvm just saw the test. That's kind of lame

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Just retested. On Volatile Matamata after the 7th TP move, Aero I and Blizzard V both took off 28% when they did 99,999.

99,999 is the cap.
    Out of curiosity and possibly for my own testing how many players was that Matamata to get an idea of hps at different numbers

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That was me fighting it solo.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

When mobs use benediction they gain 99,999 HP but it fully recovers them when they have more than that. I feel like SE ninja adjusted it at some point just for players.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I know that we used to do more than 99,999 damage in Abyssea, and I thought someone confirmed it was still the case after they implemented the damage display cap. Perhaps they did nerf this later.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This is not too related to the topic at hand, but I thought it'd be okay to ask here. Does spamming tier 1-2 nukes affect resistance states that mobs build up to nukes over time or are they an exception for some reason?

I read in AH that blms should spam T 1-2 nukes then wait for SC to use tier 5-6. My original understanding was this method gimped damage severely in long run.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The resistance also wears off constantly too though how fast from what I've noticed back in the day with kiting seemed to depend on the mob. Nuke resistance though tends to be quick so waiting for long periods becomes counter productive. Either last I think I saw Byrths math on it spamming T1-2 instead of spamming higher tiers was gimping your dmg just from a pure dps standpoint not even accounting for resistance