+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Math question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Math question

So this is irritating me, and hopefully someone can explain it, so I can figure out what to do.

It deals with grading percentages. I have different grading categories (homework, classwork, etc.) that are each assigned a percent for how much they are worth. The percentages add up to 100%. My project category is worth 10% of the students' grade. They just did a writing project worth 135 points. I have an honors student who got a perfect score, and somehow that brought her grade DOWN about .7%.

How can that happen? It doesn't make sense for her grade to go lower from getting 100%.

Was/is this student over the normal points for the category you just added to? I.e. she had extra credit in the category.

The only way this should be possible (other than a programming/calculation error) is if the category is supposed to be 10% of your total grade, but she had earned extra credit in the category giving her above 10% relative weight in the grading scale. Then, when you add something that's ONLY 100% credit, you're actually dropping down her overall grade in that category.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It has to be a calculation error unless (as Blubb suggests) she was over 100% for that category already.

Do you use some proprietary grading software, or a something like an excel sheet?

This honestly happens all the time when we look at our online scores and things are weighted differently.

For example, getting a say, 94% on a Chem worksheet would bring my grade down from 93.9% to 93.6% - and this is without extra credit or anything like that.

This is on ASU's grading system and a local community colleges.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Was/is this student over the normal points for the category you just added to? I.e. she had extra credit in the category.

The only way this should be possible (other than a programming/calculation error) is if the category is supposed to be 10% of your total grade, but she had earned extra credit in the category giving her above 10% relative weight in the grading scale. Then, when you add something that's ONLY 100% credit, you're actually dropping down her overall grade in that category.

Ok this is what happened, thanks. I don't give my honors students extra credit. BUT there was an assignment given over the summer and I was never told the guidelines or anything about the project, so at the very beginning of the year I gave whoever handed something in some bonus points. I forgot about it. XD