+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

BG Medical : Help sleeping longer

Halp me DR BG, i'm having issues sleeping long time.

My issue is that w/e the time i go to bed, could be 10PM 11PM 1AM w/e, i'm ALWAYS up between 6-7AM, I don't even use an alarm clock anymore because I usually wake up before it rings. (I'm also not tired when I wake up, but at night time i'm a goddamn Zombie).

Alot of people say i'm like that because all my life i've been used to 6-7 AM wake due to school work and all that stuff.

I have no problem sleeping (usually takes maximum 5minutes to fall asleep) and I never wake up during the night.

But with Xmas and New year passed it was kinda annoying because I wanted to sleep more. But yeah.

Anyone has some mind tricks or w/e to help someone sleep longer?

P.S I tried the water bottle and it failed

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do you have blackout curtains?

BG Level

Yes room is really dark no light pass through. Also this "early" wake up happens anywhere

Went to sleep at my parents for Xmas was still up at 6h30 am same when I went to the hotel weeks ago

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Your bodies clock is a real thing. If you want to move off of it, just keep your eyes closed and try to sleep, or use a sleeping pill before bed for a few days until your body is used to sleeping in until a later time.

Or you could just deal with it. In my experience, waking up early is superior to later unless you have a hang over.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Your bodies clock is a real thing. If you want to move off of it, just keep your eyes closed and try to sleep, or use a sleeping pill before bed for a few days until your body is used to sleeping in until a later time.

Or you could just deal with it. In my experience, waking up early is superior to later unless you have a hang over.
    I can agree waking earlier is good but when you sleep at 1-2 am for parties or other reasons It would be fun to wake up a little late

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I have similar issues except I do wake up then can't fall back asleep. However I have found Benadryl or Norco gets me relaxed enough to actually sleep in. It's not the best solution but it might be something to look into or a prescription . They tried Lunesta for me during my carpal tunnel pain filled nights but I may as well have drank coffee so you may have to experiment with options.

try fapping right before sleep

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

The best way to sleep longer is to lose all interest in life and realize your dreams are better than anything you will do if you get out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
    Benadryl
    Careful with this as there are some studies showing that it greatly increase chances of Dementia.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    The best way to sleep longer is to lose all interest in life and realize your dreams are better than anything you will do if you get out of bed.
    Can confirm, the only thing that gets me up out of bed on weekdays is the fear of unemployment

its common for people to wake up multiple times during the night, but for many you fall asleep right after and forget about it. things like anxieties over life in general, or even anxiety that you can't fall back to sleep, can keep you awake. if you can remember your dreams, one helpful trick is to try and recall them, try imagining yourself in them, or thinking about what it would be like if that dream were real. if you can't... fantasize about anything. it can be the silliest things or the most badass, although giving yourself a boner may or may not make things worse or better. the trick is to daydream. just like those daydreams in class or work, they so often tend to slowly drag you deeper into a real nap. you know its working if you suddenly snap back to sudden alertness, at which point you've totally ruined it and have to try again. but if that happens, it just means you were close to succeeding and another attempt will probably score you the sleep in you desire.

a slightly cooler temperature and deep slow breaths from the gut also help. "fake it until you make it" as they say. and i like to personally avoid any smells at all, since they distract me from sleep, good or bad... but i'm not sure if you've got an animals sense of smell like mine. if the smell of rose petals or lavender or whatever comforting thing that calms you works, go for it.

You definitely have it better than me though. i have trouble falling asleep until the dawn, but i sleep like a log when i'm sleepy. its quite aggravating being a night owl in a morninglark world.

Also, go pee before sleeping, drink very little in the hour before going to bed. I cannot sleep/go back to sleep if I wake up with the having-to-pee feeling.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Have your cortisol and TSH levels checked.

Are you diabetic?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Halp me DR BG, i'm having issues sleeping long time.

My issue is that w/e the time i go to bed, could be 10PM 11PM 1AM w/e, i'm ALWAYS up between 6-7AM, I don't even use an alarm clock anymore because I usually wake up before it rings. (I'm also not tired when I wake up, but at night time i'm a goddamn Zombie).

Alot of people say i'm like that because all my life i've been used to 6-7 AM wake due to school work and all that stuff.

I have no problem sleeping (usually takes maximum 5minutes to fall asleep) and I never wake up during the night.

But with Xmas and New year passed it was kinda annoying because I wanted to sleep more. But yeah.

Anyone has some mind tricks or w/e to help someone sleep longer?

P.S I tried the water bottle and it failed
    I really don't see what the problem is here.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I personally sleep 3-6hrs a night and am generally tired for most of, if not the whole day. I'm not sure if it's actually due to the lack of sleep or being borderline anemic.

Shit sucks though. When I go to bed at 3am and wake up at 8 and can't go back to sleep. or if I go to bed at 1 and wake up at 5 and can't go back to sleep, etc.

Then when I was having dental issues about a year ago, I'd have to take sleeping pills just to fall asleep, and still only sleep for 2hrs or so. Then after I tooth pulled and I'd still need to take the pills just to sleep and would sleep for less and less time. When I decided to stop taking the sleeping pills, for the next 2 weeks, I'd lay in bed for 6hrs and get about 2hrs of sleep (in 15 minutes of sleep intervals; toss and turn, fall back asleep, repeat). After I was able to get back to my normal 3-6hrs of sleep, I just decided to be happy with what I can get @_@ and i deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Your bodies clock is a real thing.
    ^This, plus understanding most people don't actually fall into a 8hr per night sleep rotation. Moreover, you're supposed to sleep less as you get older. The arguments for biphasic / polyphasic sleep patterns ( not to mention the literally age-old segmented sleep / electric light argument ) in relation to circadian rhythms are long and have been rehashed time and time again for anyone who's worked the rotating shift ( hi2u SWSD / CRSD ).

If you want more sleep general consensus is sleep at the same time every day and take naps; and then everyone reminds you life sucks, naps are for kids, and you're not allowed to have them because they can't have naps either. Yay adulthood. Outside of that, medication / sleep machines or sensory deprivation / etc are your best bets but before you go off and do something crazy ask your doctor. There's as much woo about this as anything else.

Personal experience wise, my advice is crash early. Especially if you're like me and you're one of those people that gets a 'second wind' going. Better to save it for the morning if you can and dial things in early but I don't have family / social shit to deal with so I've got that as a boon. On rotating shift I would usually stay awake the full 'day', use the second wind to last until I'm supposed to be sleeping on the next shift and crash. Back when I was in college I had a rule to sleep for four more hours a day than I was awake and I almost always accomplished that ( mainly because I was totally lazy and loved to just sleep / time travel a day away ).

Now I can't sleep more than 7 hrs tops at a time regardless of when I go to sleep, so I just catch naps when and where I can. I have to have some noise in the background as well; being on the ship has accustomed me too much to "quiet=reactors down" and I'll always wake up if it's too quiet. Need fans or something on. I'm currently on day shift nonrotating 12+ so I usually try to get in bed by 1930-2030 to be awake at 0330-0430. If I can I take naps around lunch time. If I save my breaktime and dump it all at once I can get a decent lunch nap in.

I'm 30 now and i need 10 hours of sleep to feel my best... if anything i think i've needed to sleep more as i got older. <_<;

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I really don't see what the problem is here.
    Because sometimes sleeping 3-4h per night sucks?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I have pretty much the same internal clock as Rata, but I comfortably slept 6-8 hours a night over vacation (by being boring and going to sleep at 10-12). However, last night I couldn't make myself go to sleep until 3AM due to basic existential dread of going back to work, so I only slept 4 hours.

Hiyooooooo

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Because sometimes sleeping 3-4h per night sucks?
    Go to bed earlier. It's really not rocket science. You say you are exhausted at night anyway right?

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

It depends if he can actually fall asleep or not too. I can go in marathon days getting 3-4 hours tops , see and feel exhausted but can't fall asleep.

Sleeping issues are more complex than many , even professionals realize. It's one of those if you don't deal with it personally it's not always clear to they "why" and "how".