+ Reply to Thread
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Stuff to do, sights to see between Seattle and Anaheim?

Looks like my group of peeps are planning a road trip from Seattle area to Anaheim to go to Disneyland later this year. Anyone have suggestions on what we can do/see between the two cities? We'd mainly just be burning through the drive so a large detour isn't very likely.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you don't get suggestions, roadtripamerica.com is pretty good.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The giant redwoods just North of San Francisco might be worth a pit stop. I did a similar drive with my family over a decade ago and honestly I don't remember us stopping often either. I'm sure there's something worthwhile in Portland too, otherwise I just remember us driving along the coastline, taking in the sights and enjoying the drive mostly.

Having gone to Seattle a few times Pike Place is the big touristy thing as well as the Space Needle. Pike Place has some nice restaurants and is really like a nice marketplace so it can be worth spending some time but you don't need more than a day really.

Having lived in LA, there's plenty of shit to do so it depends on how much time you'll be there for. Disneyland will take a full day, like from sunrise to past sunset. Maybe even 2 days if you don't want to cram it all in on 1 day and that's not including California Adventure. Albeit, I dunno if a big chunk of the park will be open because I recall them doing renovations to a large part of it to add in a Star Wars themed area.

But yeah, all the typical touristy stuff, Hollywood and Highland intersection, all the beaches, driving through (and... if you can afford it, shopping) at Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills, Pinks hotdog stand. I know shows like Jimmy Kimmel have free tickets that they put online usually a week or two before they do filming, so if you wanna try to get into the audience it might be worth looking into. Ellen and Price is Right is incredibly difficult in comparison with how high in demand those seats are.

If you do have some time, Griffith Observatory is rad. A nice hike with the Observatory at the top too! Oh, and if you've never tried it, make time to go to an In and Out burger. Animal style your fries and look online for the secret menu too. Shit is top-notch.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    If you do have some time, Griffith Observatory is rad. A nice hike with the Observatory at the top too! Oh, and if you've never tried it, make time to go to an In and Out burger. Animal style your fries and look online for the secret menu too. Shit is top-notch.
    And if you're in that general area, the Farmers Market on 3rd and Fairfax is worth stopping at to hit the food court. And the tar pits (and the natural history museum) are less than a mile away.
    There's also the Space Shuttle Endeavour at the since center just south of USC on Exposition.

Also, the Harry Potter thing at Universal Hollywood opens a few weeks from now, if you want to hit that in addition to Disneyland.

Depending on your route down the coast, it's not specifically worth detouring or even adjusting your route for, but if it is on the way, a good rest stop town is Solvang. It's a little danish community that's pretty and has some good food.
    But you won't be near it if you take the 5 all the way down from Seattle. If you do choose to pass through San Francisco though, you have the option of using the 101 to head down into Los Angeles instead of going back to the 5. And Solvang is pmuch on the 101.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you have time visiting some wineries might be fun when you get up to north bay. Or head out to the ocean around Bodega Bay or Mendocino coast. Got some geysers/hot springs too if you into that kind of thing. Petrified forest is pretty neat the first time. Or any of the redwood forests in the north bay.

Been awhile since I've been there but I seem to recall there being some nice parks with hikes and waterfalls pretty close to Bend, Oregon.

Not sure if you can still go down there but when I was a kid you could walk down below the new Tacoma-Narrows bridge and still see pieces of the old one. Extra fun if you see the vids of how it collapsed. The Tacoma mall is pretty fun to walk thru if you haven't messed around in a big mall before.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Crab Pop in Seattle.

I'd go to Portland if you;re into food.

MSM's in Tacoma

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Stop in P-Town for food at the food pods and to throw breadcrumbs at hipsters. Continue south on I-5 until Rice Hill and eat a burger there. Next stop is Medford to grab some In-n-Out then drive across the Cali border. That was Oregon on the I-5.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

If in California and going south through the central valley via I-5 south of Sacramento, there's a good place for steak in Coalinga. Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant. You'll know you're near when you pass the feedlot 4 miles north of it and everything smells of cow shit. Otherwise, there is very little in the CA central valley.

If going south via US-101, second recommendation for Solvang. A little bit out of the way is Hearst Castle in San Simeon.
    You can get some fresh clam chowder at Pismo Beach. Also nearby Pismo you can take your car on the beach at Oceano State Vehicle Recreational Area, though it can be expensive if you need a tow out of the sand. ATV rentals are also available.

And as much as everyone recommends In & Out, there's another chain called The Habit. Love them burgers with tempura green beans on the side. Slightly more pricey but so yummy.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland's Pearl District.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Good stuff guys, added it to the rough draft list. Keep 'em coming if there's anymore to add

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

If your group has any voracious readers, you have to stop at the best bookstore to ever exist, Powell's on Burnside in Portland.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach or the Monterrey Bay Aquarium are both on the way and a little different from the more standard CA tourist fare.