+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Had to change to using Greg for tauntaliate since Hojos counters hit like a truck even with prot/SG/FB/Steal Power and switched Ramza's ace striker RM with mako might so I can have a heal/protect. Also accidently left dismissal on Shadow from Rufus lol.

Spoiler: show

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

1/1 was easy lol

*used Tauntaliate*

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Took about 7 s/l but beat with a full melee party with no tauntilate. Wall wore off at about 15% but relm was able to just spam medica and had cloud back to back fenrir overdrive when blind went up. Lost only one medal to damage. Yay for shitload of ff7 synergy

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

U+ mastered. Lost 2 medals on damage, 1 on actions. Physical party, No Tauntalite. I have to laugh since I haven't bothered egging an "A" party to 80. Would make some fight's marginally easier and maybe less medals lost, but who cares, still mastered this stuff.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

ok by 'over the weekend' i meant 'immediately after posting that'

mastered w/ one medal lost on damage taken and actions. 1/3, somehow didn't get a single SS2/SG on my first RW list but at one stamina i figured i'd give it a go with fenrir overdrive RW, which didn't pan out. had to s/l once on the second attempt because i queued a banishing strike right before pro/shell/haste started casting.

most of terra's damage output came from hitting frontlines that got hit with sleep/confuse, so while it wasn't an optimal configuration, she was still useful to have along outside of filling the medal conditions.

BG Level

Mastered both. SG RW. Dispel on Agrias, Drain on Celes. In retrospect I should have taken Rinoa.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    1/1 was easy lol

*used Tauntaliate*

Seriously why is Tauntaliate looked down upon? I can understand Advantaliate, I can understand full party retaliate, but using two abilities their intended way as a legitimate strategy and hating people for using it mind boggles me! I swear some people won't be happy until DeNa just removes the ability. >.>

Edit: And if it's the idea of "well it makes the fight too easy and real players don't use it!" Same can be said for using any stat breaks, Reflect, Draw Magic, etc.

BG Level

It's not. I'm just mocking when people say OMG THAT FIGHT WAS A BREEZE when they cheesed it.

Perfectly viable strategy, imo. But it's like stepping on an ant and then shouting "COME ON ANTS, PUT UP A FIGHT".

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think the only part I look down on is when people attack their own guy to counter. That just screams cheap.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

It's not. I'm just mocking when people say OMG THAT FIGHT WAS A BREEZE when they cheesed it.

Perfectly viable strategy, imo. But it's like stepping on an ant and then shouting "COME ON ANTS, PUT UP A FIGHT".
    alrighty lol, I was legitimately confused, considering i've rarely seen people criticize it, like I said, I can understand criticizing the other uses of Retaliate, just not that one.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I think the only part I look down on is when people attack their own guy to counter. That just screams cheap.
    Yeah i'm surprised it's not been changed for so long but i'm assuming it's because DeNa doesn't think it's a problem.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

He's still got a ton of HP and defense, is using AOE and statuses that needs to be healed, and drawfire+reta is locking a character down essentially purely for mitigation and random soulbreaks. It simplifies part of the battle on paper but actually using it still requires thought, and probably more thought than me pressing the sentinel grimoire button whenever it lights up.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by hyoton View Post
    He's still got a ton of HP and defense, is using AOE and statuses that needs to be healed, and drawfire+reta is locking a character down essentially purely for mitigation and random soulbreaks. It simplifies part of the battle on paper but actually using it still requires thought, and probably more thought than me pressing the sentinel grimoire button whenever it lights up.
    Basically this. If you opt to use tauntaliate on the U+ fight, you're only shutting down the counters and about a third of its standard move pool, with the rest being AoEs and debuff spam, both of which should not be taken lightly at all, so there is still plenty of thought needed for managing the rest of the fight. A great tool for this fight, but hardly "cheesing" it by any means imo. It's really no different than using a runic effect to neutralize single target magic in applicable fights.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I actually found Hojo easier than Rufus. 1/1 on both (without draw fire or retaliate), but I got unlucky on Rufus who started using pretty much only Mako Cannon from 50% and onward. And, stupidly I brought no dispel for his haste, nor dismissal... He actually did mako cannon back-to-back at 75% already... All in all a pain for my healer.

Hojo on the other hand was easy peasy. Barely did any damage, and blind was no problem with lifesiphon and SSB. I was lucky though, his confuse and sleep never landed once. Only lost 1 medal, and that was for damage.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

XII ultimate + will probably be a bitch due to my low synergy

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
    Basically this. If you opt to use tauntaliate on the U+ fight, you're only shutting down the counters and about a third of its standard move pool, with the rest being AoEs and debuff spam, both of which should not be taken lightly at all, so there is still plenty of thought needed for managing the rest of the fight. A great tool for this fight, but hardly "cheesing" it by any means imo. It's really no different than using a runic effect to neutralize single target magic in applicable fights.
    It's very different. Not because magic mitigation and retaliate are different things, but because you probably wouldn't see someone post "LOL WHAT AN EASY SHITTY FIGHT" followed by posting a picture of Celes. The joke is not that the fight is "cheesable" it's that people use the strategy and then talk about how easy the fight was when they removed like 80% of the difficulty.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

To be fair, people have cheesed fights with Carbuncle and Faith and then went "lol, easiest U fight ever". You can't hate on tauntilate for being cheese and praise Carbuncle.

And by you I don't mean you specifically, I mean people in general as I've seen people do just that. I don't remember if it's on here specifically or just reddit.

Honestly, I don't care either way. Whatever floats your boat. If Tauntilate works for you, great. If you can beat it without tauntilate, great. It's the same as people who use cheat on singleplayer games or only play games on easy difficulty setting. If that's how they prefer to play games, who am I to judge? I don't personally want to do that, and while I can understand why they might want to, I don't want to do it myself, nor will I belittle them for it. It's not like your accomplishments are worth any less just because they used tauntilate and found it easy, whereas you didn't and found it difficult. You both know why they found it easy.

Either way you argue it IS a viable strategy. Some people just choose to not use it because they think it makes the fight too easy.

BG Level

is it that fight again?

I swear people can't understand the difference between a miused retaliate user and carbuncle

it's 2 different shit

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You've made a perfectly fine argument about the difference between Carbuncle and Tauntilate before Rata, but it doesn't change the fact that Tauntilate is a perfectly viable strategy if you choose to use it, whether you disagree with it or not. If it wasn't working as intended they would have changed it by now like they did with Protect + Deprotega + Dispel. Which if memory serves you were a proponent of. If you weren't I apologize, I know it was someone on this forum at least.

BG Level

Tauntaliate is a valiable strategy when used correctly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast