Page 68 of 117 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast
Results 1341 to 1360 of 2329
  1. #1341
    Been Here Longer Than you
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,900
    BG Level
    10

    For the last 4-5 weeks I've been hailing this weekend as the return of Game of Thrones. It didn't even hit me until this past Sunday that this was EVO week lmfao. I'm actually going to a Game of Thrones party to watch the last 2 episodes of Season 6 > Season 7 opener instead of watching EVO.

    During SF4, I would have skipped Game of Thrones for god damned NLBC Sanford vs. Smug goodness. The state of FGC streams now is pathetic.

  2. #1342
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    lol, are you surprised like at all?
    Am I surprised that SF did well enough last year for ESPN to agree to bring it back? Yes, yes I am.

    esports are a thing now and companies are trying to captalize off of it. Whether or not people like us enjoy the game is literally irrelevant to all of that.
    There are many, many other fighting games (i.e. all of them) that are not being broadcast live on ESPN during Sunday night prime time. So I don't think you can just handwave that away as "e-sports are big now."

    I guess it's easier for me to separate "I don't like this game" from "this game is bad" or "this game is unpopular" because I'm used to it, but it's still amusing for me to listen to SF4 fans who are convinced that they are the first group of players to dislike the new SF sequel and prefer the previous one they were good at. I've said many times that I don't personally like SF5, but I also don't like SF4 or SF3. That doesn't make them all bad games; they just aren't intended for me.

  3. #1343
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,390
    BG Level
    8

    All these other games that are hailed as being better than SFV yet they can't carry the hype and make people be excited for Evo. I find it hella amusing to be honest. I'm watching most (all except Smash and NRS) of the finals and skipping pool play as usual.

  4. #1344
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    TBH I'm really just hoping SF5 does well enough on ESPN this year that (along with the implicit Disney conspiracy) ESPN decides to expand its Evo coverage to two games next year. Then Marvel's innate superiority to all other forms of video games can be witnessed by a national audience, Marvel will assume its rightful place at the peak of competitive gaming, and my life's work will be complete.

    The key is to keep aspirations small.

  5. #1345
    Ze NinjaSYXX
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,899
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Anything to keep capcom alive at this point so they can keep giving us shit quality games (not RE7 tho). -_-

  6. #1346
    Straight Ca$h Homie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,942
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    There are many, many other fighting games (i.e. all of them) that are not being broadcast live on ESPN during Sunday night prime time. So I don't think you can just handwave that away as "e-sports are big now."
    Wasn't Mortal Kombat on CW and other outlets? The game was well received and had 100k prize pots 6 months ago. Do you think any of that mattered to the scene? Probably not because it's not even a main game at Evo.

    No other fighting game is receiving the same amount of monetary support as SFV is currently. Hundreds of thousands of dollars is being poured into the game every year by Sony and the like. It has nothing to do with the game being good/bad and everything to do with esports being popular now and companies wanting to test the waters.

  7. #1347
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Wasn't Mortal Kombat on CW and other outlets? The game was well received and had 100k prize pots 6 months ago. Do you think any of that mattered to the scene? Probably not because it's not even a main game at Evo.
    CW ran an hour-long TV special that was a condensed version of a web series; the special they ran was about the third season of the series, which was focused on MKX. That is not anywhere in the same league as a live, network-produced broadcast of a major tournament final.

    No other fighting game is receiving the same amount of monetary support as SFV is currently. Hundreds of thousands of dollars is being poured into the game every year by Sony and the like.
    And why is "Sony" continuing to pour money into an 18-month-old PS4 game when they could be pouring money into, say, shiny new TK7?
    There are reasons why these decisions are made.

    You want to say SF5 is coasting off the name? Fine, but it's not like SF4 wasn't doing that too. Every sequel to a big-name franchise coasts off the name, and the bigger the name, the bigger the inertia.

  8. #1348
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    And why is "Sony" continuing to pour money into an 18-month-old PS4 game when they could be pouring money into, say, shiny new TK7?
    Gee, it's almost like Sony has a vested interest in a game they bankrolled.

  9. #1349
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    Anything to keep capcom alive at this point so they can keep giving us shit quality games (not RE7 tho). -_-
    I would include RE7 in this category too. The only hope I have for Capcom is that the new MH game isn't a piece of shit.

    But given their track record lately I don't have high hopes.

  10. #1350
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Gee, it's almost like Sony has a vested interest in a game they bankrolled.
    Sony bankrolled the game in 2015. That money is already gone, and as is frequently pointed out in this thread, everyone who wants SF5 already has it (i.e. it's not moving PS4s off the shelves). So how does dumping more money on SF5 in 2017 help "Sony" more than dumping that money on promoting a new game? That doesn't make sense, unless Sony is promoting SF5 for the same reason Razer and Red Bull do: because they think it's a better return on investment than promoting other, newer games.

    I'm also curious as to where people are getting this info about SF5's overwhelming funding advantage. Sponsorship money that goes to Evo helps all the games, not just SF5, and the other games are frankly lucky to be riding coattails; the chances of BB or TK being at Mandalay Bay without SF5 are approximately 0%. And you definitely can't be talking about the ESPN deal... no one is silly enough to say that SF5 is only on ESPN because of the unearned money advantage from ESPN. So where is "SF5" receiving all this supposed subsidization that's artificially keeping it alive?

  11. #1351
    Been Here Longer Than you
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,900
    BG Level
    10

    Fucking lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

    https://clips.twitch.tv/ReliableObliqueFlyBleedPurple

    Mike Ross: "SF4 on mobile is better than SFV"

  12. #1352
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,755
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Evo schedule



    SFV finals starting at the same time as Game of Thrones, RIP ratings/views

  13. #1353
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,689
    BG Level
    10

    Nah. Smash will make sure to delay it by 2~3 hours.

  14. #1354
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,755
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Not if they're going to be airing on ESPN 2. Smash has 4 hours and likely won't use that much, they did the same thing last year.

  15. #1355
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,689
    BG Level
    10

    Nah I know. Was just being facetious.

  16. #1356
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    SFV finals starting at the same time as Game of Thrones, RIP ratings/views
    I don't know how much crossover there is between "people who watch video game tournaments" and "people who watch non-live television programming as it is broadcast in their own time zone."
    Maybe that's just the West Coaster in me talking.

  17. #1357
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,775
    BG Level
    6

    I've more or less ignored the FGC since last Evo. Where's the hype going to be this year? What should I be on the lookout for?

  18. #1358
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,755
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Hatred of SFV aside, it'll probably be the big attraction again. Otherwise I'd look to anime and Tekken 7 to bring the hype. Injustice 2 finals might be enjoyable as well, especially since there's a good chunk of money on the line.

    In terms of pure skill and high level play, Tekken 7 is likely gonna be the top choice.

  19. #1359
    Ninja Ninja
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,672
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    So, what's "The Jump Off"?

  20. #1360
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,960
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    I've more or less ignored the FGC since last Evo. Where's the hype going to be this year? What should I be on the lookout for?
    SFV
    Tekken maybe but only if an American makes it to top 8 and doesn't get immediately washed (for me anyway, I'm not big into 3D)
    GG for sure
    BB as well
    UMvC3 obviously, plus apparently no KBR this year, positive for some negative for others. I find his team boring as fuck.

    I'm personally not expecting anything out of Injustice, I'm not really into that game. I'll watch it, I watch every game's top 8 at least, I don't know about pools/semis though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    So, what's "The Jump Off"?
    • Evo5 is dedicated to The Jump Off, a FGC talk-show that hopes to “jump” between all the streams at Evo. It will feature match breakdowns, chats with players and commentators, special guests and a whole lot more. If you’re looking to learn more about a particular fighting game that’s taken your interest during Evo, The Jump Off will be your one-stop shop.

    Copied from SRK

Page 68 of 117 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast