Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 361
  1. #301
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,262
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Though I do wish we would get B-Negative from that failed launch. He seemed like he could have been a cool teen hero.

  2. #302
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    18,825
    BG Level
    9

    Snowflake and Safespace were backlash creations specifically against people complaining about pandering. They were meant to be a deliberate poke of the bear.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

  3. #303
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,681
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    And Marvel has begun to roll with the idea of "Let's just have two Caps" because Sam Wilson as Cap has worked along with giving Steve Rogers fans what they want in his own Cap stories.
    This doesn't disprove my point. People liked the character of Steve Rogers, and specifically they liked Steve Rogers as Captain America. They weren't satisfied with him just being a random shield commander or whatever he was doing before Secret Empire.

    The fact Sam still has a shield and wears the flag is more akin to what I said previously with how Miles and Kamala slotted in. You can't just hot swap a minority into an iconic mantle as a shortcut to creating diversity. Like Marvel should have put Blue Marvel in as the bruiser slot for the Avengers if it really wanted to increase black representation rather than trying to replace Steve with Sam.

  4. #304
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    18,825
    BG Level
    9

    Meh. I haven't gone looking but I'm willing to bet most people who complained about Sam, who had at that point been Cap's sidekick since 1969, didn't voice similar issues when Bucky, who hadn't been in the role since 1950, took over for awhile after Civil War.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

  5. #305
    Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,264
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I am sympathetic towards this point but at the same time.... it's not like lots of big movies with new IP are being made to give PoC a new role like that, if that makes sense. So it looks a lot like raceswapping pandering when it's just inclusion. Then it goes into a discussion of "Are people only willing to see movies with Big IP or are they just conditioned to do that because that's all being made?". Like there weren't that many PoC in Disney movies from 1937-2000, barring Jungle Book and Peter Pan....so is Disney really not going to give black actors speaking roles for 30+ remakes that are doing for the sake of not appearing pandering?

    It's ESPECIALLY a problem in comics. As much as we love Kamala and Morales..... they both benefited from being legacy characters of Ms.Marvel and Spider-Man respectively.
    Yah, this is a reasonable take. New IPs aren’t exactly greenlit a lot these days. As others have pointed out there are ways around this but this is an argument I can understand.

  6. #306
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,681
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Meh. I haven't gone looking but I'm willing to bet most people who complained about Sam, who had at that point been Cap's sidekick since 1969, didn't voice similar issues when Bucky, who hadn't been in the role since 1950, took over for awhile after Civil War.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I think passing the mantle in general is dumb because you know it's going to reset later, so it cheapens the entire thing.

    Like I would have had a problem with Bucky taking the mantle permanently just like I would have had a problem with Sam taking it permanently. But everyone knew Steve wasn't staying dead after Civil War, and everyone knew Steve was coming back eventually after he passed the mantle to Sam.

    I don't think becoming "a" Cap was a bad development for Sam's character in particular, but the whole schtick of let's become more diverse by replacing all the white male Avengers characters with a minority character was lazy.

    Again, they had other avenues available to them to increase diversity rather than trying to piggy back off the name recognition of the popular Avengers characters while simultaneously cutting these original characters out.

  7. #307
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,262
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    However, they were able to replace a White Male with a Female with Captain Marvel

  8. #308
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    28,407
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Are yall old enough to remember them Miles Morales and Kamala Khan were introduced and the backlash it received? It was called pandering back then too.

  9. #309
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,948
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    nah,I distinctly remember the media TRYING to call it pandering and I remember the fans overall shooting it down because it wasn't just "Black Peter Parker" but a new character, and I also remember it pretty much going away when people realized Peter didn't go away for good.

  10. #310
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,681
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Are yall old enough to remember them Miles Morales and Kamala Khan were introduced and the backlash it received? It was called pandering back then too.
    Sure but I think that was uncalled for.

    I think there is somewhat a legitimate basis to criticize the Affirmative Action Avengers line-up because it was fucking lazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Meh. I haven't gone looking but I'm willing to bet most people who complained about Sam, who had at that point been Cap's sidekick since 1969, didn't voice similar issues when Bucky, who hadn't been in the role since 1950, took over for awhile after Civil War.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Forgot to mention that even Marvel pointed out that no one who took the mantle after Steve would ever live up to it.

    In Fallen Son #3, Tony tried to offer the shield to Clint. When Clint was in the flag he stops the Young Avengers who are operating in violation of the the registration act and Kate Bishop calls him out. Clint pointed how that she has someone else's codename (she didn't know it was Clint in the costume) and she argued there was difference because she was taking the name as a way to honor Hawkeye but not as a way to take over or replace him.

    Clint then abandons the Cap identity and helps them escape from Tony.

  11. #311
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    995
    BG Level
    5

    A New South Park special dropped yesternight. This one was probably the first time ever I was completely ignorant of the topic discussed on SOuth Park in my life. apparently there's a drink called PRIME that's popular with kids?

  12. #312
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,178
    BG Level
    8

    Prime is flavored water they market as a "hydration drink," boasting minimal calories. However, it falls short when compared to the standard power and sports drinks like Powerade or Gatorade, which actually contain ingredients designed to aid recovery and enhance performance during workouts. It's disheartening to witness influencers legally promoting what seems like nothing more than snake oil to a younger audience. Now, I'm intrigued and need to go track down this particular episode.

  13. #313
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,262
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Prime is flavored water they market as a "hydration drink," boasting minimal calories. However, it falls short when compared to the standard power and sports drinks like Powerade or Gatorade, which actually contain ingredients designed to aid recovery and enhance performance during workouts. It's disheartening to witness influencers legally promoting what seems like nothing more than snake oil to a younger audience. Now, I'm intrigued and need to go track down this particular episode.
    It's actually pretty complicated how the electrolyte portion of the Drink works, and why Gatorade is better despite having lest electrolytes, namely because it has the wrong kind of electrolytes.

    MatPat actually has a good video on this.


  14. #314
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,178
    BG Level
    8

    O, i've seen on the videos. Prime has been cut down by pretty much every fitness YouTuber with a brain. Most of them go into detail as to why it sucks.

  15. #315
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,128
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit


  16. #316
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,694
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    A Diddy episode and they're bringing back Moses? Oh my

  17. #317
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,017
    BG Level
    7

    Is Randy going to play Elon???

  18. #318
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,128
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit


  19. #319
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,007
    BG Level
    6

    Looks like the Diddler might be holding a baby oil rifle.

  20. #320
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,128
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit


Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. South Park Season 16 (Starts March 14th)
    By Apelila in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 2012-11-20, 01:06
  2. South Park Season 15
    By Apelila in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 574
    Last Post: 2011-12-23, 01:44
  3. South Park season 14.5
    By Insanecyclone in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 366
    Last Post: 2010-11-29, 19:07
  4. South Park season 14
    By Insanecyclone in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 474
    Last Post: 2010-05-13, 20:02
  5. South Park (Season 13)
    By HAcoreRD in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 2009-05-01, 09:34
  6. South Park season 13
    By Sta in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-03-21, 08:04
  7. South Park (Season 12)
    By HAcoreRD in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 559
    Last Post: 2008-11-24, 01:54