+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Time for FFXI "Classic"?

WoW classic has been making headlines, and now Everquest is preparing to do the same, so naturally you have to wonder is it time for SE to look to FFXI classic? Uniquely FFXI could be a little different because non-Japanese players never actually played the game from day 1 upon launch. It wasn't until Zilart released outside of Japan when the rest of the world could join in. Would you sign up or would it be a torturous gimmicky grind?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

sweet jesus no i would not play that hot fucking garbage. i enjoyed coming back to 11 now, where you can actually do shit and it's not like getting pounded with a sandpaper dildo. the QoL adjustments are amazing compared to what it was in the 75 era, much less what it had to have been like pre-zilart.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

And my opinion;

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Nobody nostalgic enough to return to FFXI classic has enough time for classic FFXI.

We old now.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Already two private servers that accomplish this.

(Edit: To be a bit more specific, both are CoP era classic, not RoZ only.)

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

As mentioned above were all old now and time is a massive restriction, I can't imagine many young players having the drive needed to play 75 era XI.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

+1 no time. I started playing on Eden, and it's taken me 3 months to get to level 30. By the time my kid goes to sleep (didn't have one of those during era) I have an hour or two tops before I need to go to sleep. I'm way too casual for XI now.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If I quit my job maybe.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

20-24HR NM spawn, 48-72HR HNM spawn, lottery king that may not pop for 7 days, a year + of farming content twice a week for one person to get a relic weapon while everyone else slaves away for shitty gear and the only pieces that matter are THF hand and RDM hat but no one that is chasing currency would ever consider doing northlands. Spending all day LFG and not get a single tell because I'm not a whm, rdm, brd, pld.

I'm good, classic ffxi can never happen.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

more like time to pull the plug lmao

No thanks. The whole classic fad is just the typical WoW bandwagoning, with the current hype likely to quickly fade from WoW itself the more people realize how awful back in the day really was. Meanwhile, pointing to a few private XI servers with a very small number of active, long-term players is hardly indicative it'd be a success for XI, either. Basically, things across all these games changed for a reason, and to many, for the better. SE largely abandoning XI for XIV is also a factor the slow of XI content late-ToAU, while I'll continue to assert that Abyssea just really exposed how many tended to feel about the people they didn't like but were nonetheless forced to help with random shit because hurdur LS politics.

While I largely enjoyed my time in XI, there's definitely shit I do not miss. And yes, I feel their current content drip and recycling is a tragedy because SE could do both the game and community better. But sequentially and arbitrarily quarantining the game into eras isn't the answer. XI needs to some legit modernization overhauls (AH, party finding, graphics, true instancing, shedding the vestiges of PS2 limitations, etc.) and a new, full expansion.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You mean you don’t want to camp Lich spawns as if they’re NMs to complete Genkai 1 against the rest of the entire server?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

75 era is only fun for like 4 or 5 jobs. Nobody wants to go back to 3 hour HNM fights where BLM and SMNs are bursting while you rotate in lolmelees to dump their 300% Spirits Within or MNKs for Chi Blasts.

If you did 75 era, how far would you roll back job changes? The jobs were incredibly mega unbalanced during the 75 era, there's no way you could make it work again with the knowledge we have now. I was a BiS DRG during the 75 era and I distinctly recall doing uh 300-420 Wheeling Thrusts on Fafnir while SAMs were doing 1400 Gekkos. I do NOT want to return to those days where the gap between some DPS jobs was like 200-300% at maximum output.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Classic WoW is a thing because Blizzard changed their game so much from the ground up, that even 1-60 content was a completely different experience than it once was. You had no talent trees, couldn't avoid sharding, classes/abilities/zones/towns/quests were completely different, etc. You really couldn't replicate the experience from vanilla/older expansions on live servers at all.

Unlike modern WoW, old FFXI content is still there and accessible, 1-75 classes weren't changed that much over the years, and most of the new features are optional. There's really nothing stopping people from starting a new account/character and doing oldschool shit while avoiding later expansions and features like trusts, RoEs, and HP crystal warps. If you wanted to get some people and start fresh, level through the dunes/qufim, do missions, level 75 endgame, etc you still could.

AFAIK the only major unavoidable changes are faster leveling, and that certain CoP zones are no longer level capped. For the latter you can always just do them when your characters are around the intended level, or use party sync.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

No.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I think this is just a cry to bring back Dalmatica/Ridill and A.Berk.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Looking back it's kind of amazing how many systems XI had that existed just to fuck the player about.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Game sucked how have people not realized that yet.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I try to tell people. You do not miss the game. You miss that particular time in your life when you got to play as much as you did with other friends and like minded people. There are many f2p private servers you can hop on if you want to test it for yourself. Most of y’all will quit before you make it to Jeuno.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I try to tell people. You do not miss the game. You miss that particular time in your life when you got to play as much as you did with other friends and like minded people. There are many f2p private servers you can hop on if you want to test it for yourself. Most of y’all will quit before you make it to Jeuno.
    Extremely true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast