Saw this on Reddit. For those in healthcare aware of everything, are the numbers and facts in here fairly accurate?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...459003909.html
He can just ride his bike from Florida to Washington and back.
Saw this on Reddit. For those in healthcare aware of everything, are the numbers and facts in here fairly accurate?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...459003909.html
He can just ride his bike from Florida to Washington and back.
Your average sick patient isn't hospitalized for weeks, and isolation precautions would be droplet only.
Most of the rest seems like sound math, but still not worth a panic. We deal with people who have the flu and other contagious diseases fairly frequently.
I guess for larger hospital systems this isn't as much of an issue. Where I see it being a problem is with community hospitals, clinics, and hospitals already at capacity with people coming in coughing panicking that they have covid.
It sounds callous, but it's a cold. That bears repeating - it's a cold. What needs to happen is education, and it's not happening. We're in danger of overwhelming the health systems in place with panicked patients, not dead bodies.
People will undoubtedly die. If we want to minimize that, we need to be mindful of who needs to go to an ER and who doesn't. Every minute counts for those at high risk of respiratory failure.
Cough? Okay. A lot of respiratory bugs give you that. Fever? Okay. Infections do that.
Coughing fits? Can't catch your breath? Smoker? Cancer history? On CPAP? On chemo? Immunocompromised? Asthma? These are the people who need to be aware of Covid and be ready to go to the ER. Not the other 90% of the country.
And while Tarage is overly sensitive about pretty much everything, he's right. Wash your hands. Droplets only carry up to about 6 feet, so unless you're in a room with a fan, kissing an infected person, or literally sucking air from their secretions, washing your hands is the best thing to do.
I guess I picked a bad time to start smoking again.
Still comparing it to a cold, eh? I thought you understood how wrong you were before when you were saying this was nbd lol
Washing your hands is not the best thing you can do. Avoiding areas with infected people is the best thing you can do, and if you cant do that then wash your hands often during and after visiting the infected area.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My immunity bowl has much worse, lol.
My wife said the majority at her work (only hospital in our county) are not concerned about the virus itself but idiots and how they deal with shit. She was saying her nurses are not concerned about this for the majority of people. It's elderly, very young kids, and those who already have issues that are at great risk. And most of what else she was saying lines up with what Kuro has been saying. My wife would also be treating patients who come to the hospital for this and she's not concerned. Even if we heard of a death in our area we wouldn't be concerned because all the news is going to say is a death related to this virus. They can't release the health history or other known issues. They can't say "Well Jim was a closet alcoholic and barely had a liver and was having other health issues. We believe that's what mainly contributed to his death."
I really wish they would do better with this. It seems like most of what I hear is one extreme or the other. My boss even brought up the "the flu kills more but you don't hear about that" that I assume was Fox News related.
I'm grateful for those posting information in here so I can get a better understanding of what's going on.
Yeah you know what the problem with just blowing this off as "oh it's no big deal, it's just the old and folks who are already sick" is? Guess who is already filling up the ER and our entire med surge and overflow floors?
The old and the sick. Flu season was not kind to us this year.
Now add this crap on top of it. Now infect your direct patient care providers too. Not a great look. Nobody with any sense is thinking this is going to be the Black Death but the flippant dismissal seems pretty misguided.
I cant speak for other facilities of course. Maybe other places dont have the same issues we have right now. But our staff is giving this the hairy eyeball and nobody seems prepared.
Or maybe you're freaking out more than you should.
And not freaking the fuck out doesn't mean I'm not concerned.
Agree about other places having issues vs places like my wife's not having issues! Rereading my post it probably seemed pretty callous towards areas having issues. Just for (hopefully) clarification, I am not in the camp that everyone should go to work and everything is fine it's just the already sick and old who are going to have issues. But I'm also not in the camp that we need to buy five lifetimes supply of hand sanitizer and we should never leave the house. Kuro's point about education is probably the biggest thing. There was a talking point my wife mentioned that they were discussing at work. If someone has symptoms they should not go to something like Urgent Care where they are going to just sit in a room for a long time with a bunch of other people. The practice they were discussing was if people have symptoms and are that concerned they should call EMS and explain exactly what is the problem. That way they can attempt to contain it as much as possible.
Side note I saw on FB an old friend from FL post something from a local news where they did a segment on how money could be a huge transfer for the virus. I believe 6souls already posted it, but I immediately thought of The Division. Who knew Ubisoft had Nostradamus working for them.
I'm not freaking out, and I'm definitely in the category that's most at risk from this with chronic respiratory issues and immune system issues. I do think people saying this is no big deal aren't thinking realistically about what this is going to do to the health care infrastructure and our ability to do our jobs as a whole.
@kalmodo yeah man I hear you.
In other news 1200 new cases in Italy reported overnight as they get testing ramped up.
It is absolutely a big deal.
Drain the swamp!
I just want to be able to go to Greece in July and get married and still be able to come home without being locked out of the country.
We were country hop Europe for a couple weeks after Greece, but now I have nfc what were gonna do.