Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 3003
  1. #41
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,893
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    The problem with coronaviruses in general is their ability to cause ARDS in relatively healthy people who don't seek medical help until it's too late.

    Not as bad as flu, but definitely worse than a common cold.

    The fact that the prodrome phase is so short and incubation is so long is what makes it dangerous.
    I would argue it's worse than the flu. ARDS from flu is really rare.

    80 dead / 3k confirmed cases now

  2. #42
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    I would argue it's worse than the flu. ARDS from flu is really rare.

    80 dead / 3k confirmed cases now
    You would know better than me, tbh

  3. #43
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,893
    BG Level
    7

    All I know is I've seen people on ECMO for ARDS from flu in the ICU and apparently that was a super rare situation. All those young healthy-ish people dying from coronavirus would technically be candidates to give time for the lungs to heal. Hard to say which direction this'll go but it seems like China waited too long to sound the alarms.

  4. #44
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    All I know is I've seen people on ECMO for ARDS from flu in the ICU and apparently that was a super rare situation. All those young healthy-ish people dying from coronavirus would technically be candidates to give time for the lungs to heal. Hard to say which direction this'll go but it seems like China waited too long to sound the alarms.
    That's crazy. I haven't even had to escalate anyone to that here...

    ... so hopefully we don't have to. Bad enough having to watch people on P/S at 100% just to keep their lungs working. Can't imagine going beyond that.

  5. #45
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    I had a 650lb chick with ARDS. Full disclosure, it's the fat girl on the "1000 lb sisters" TV show. I intubated her. She was too big to fit on rotoprone. But yeah, ards is serious shit. Requiring intubation and really high PEEP values with lots of rotating from back to prone positioning.

  6. #46
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Don't HIPAA me plz

  7. #47
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,893
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I had a 650lb chick with ARDS. Full disclosure, it's the fat girl on the "1000 lb sisters" TV show. I intubated her. She was too big to fit on rotoprone. But yeah, ards is serious shit. Requiring intubation and really high PEEP values with lots of rotating from back to prone positioning.
    Bold move lmao





    Shit sounds troubling, makes you think, maybe the mormons are right with their doomsday supplies lol

  8. #48
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Holy shit Tyche, we just tried doing the same and it was a chore. Couldn't get arterial lines or peripheral IVs so ultimately had to drop a central line and hope for the best.

  9. #49
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    After we tubed her, her O2 tanked on the vent. We couldn't get her up past 40% at 100% fiO2 on the machine. We ended up putting a peep valve on the bag and bagged her for 45 minutes. The pulmonologist was at bedside losing his shit. He kept pacing saying "there isn't a damn thing you're doing with that bag that the vent can't do...I don't get it". Well, after 45 minutes of bagging, we got her O2 up to about 85%. We switched her over to the vent with a PEEP of THIRTY FUCKING FIVE.

    Didn't feed her for about 10 days outside of protein powder. I think she lost 65lbs on the propofol diet.

  10. #50
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Lmao

  11. #51
    Pseudo-Elitist
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,502
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    65lbs in 10 days? This coma diet thing sounds pretty awesome.

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

  12. #52
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    65lbs in 10 days? This coma diet thing sounds pretty awesome.

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    You'd be surprised.

  13. #53
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21,329
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    I think I need to finally delete social media.

    I now have people posting flu-related death / hospitalization numbers to compare to Coronavirus calling it fake news hype etc.

    I must have typed up 3 different replies including ones involving SARS and I just keep deleting them because every time I think about it I just get a headache.

  14. #54
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,902
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I think I need to finally delete social media.

    I now have people posting flu-related death / hospitalization numbers to compare to Coronavirus calling it fake news hype etc.

    I must have typed up 3 different replies including ones involving SARS and I just keep deleting them because every time I think about it I just get a headache.
    Because people can't microbiology.

    Rhinoviruses more commonly cause colds, which is why people are like FLU IS MORE DEADLY but then fail to realize you can't really vaccinate against cold viruses.

    ARDS alone is one reason not to take it lightly. That could fuck your lungs up for life.

  15. #55
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21,329
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    It's just the whole, look more people died this month from the flu stop being scared that I can't get over. Yes more people died, more people also have it.

  16. #56
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,893
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    After we tubed her, her O2 tanked on the vent. We couldn't get her up past 40% at 100% fiO2 on the machine. We ended up putting a peep valve on the bag and bagged her for 45 minutes. The pulmonologist was at bedside losing his shit. He kept pacing saying "there isn't a damn thing you're doing with that bag that the vent can't do...I don't get it". Well, after 45 minutes of bagging, we got her O2 up to about 85%. We switched her over to the vent with a PEEP of THIRTY FUCKING FIVE.

    Didn't feed her for about 10 days outside of protein powder. I think she lost 65lbs on the propofol diet.
    had a similar case with a ARDS secondary to DAH patient, literally had to stick the nurse with him all day intermittently bagging him until he got PLEX the next day. rough.

    And the mortality rate for influenza based on CDC data is <0.5% (probably less because this is only known cases, most people rightfully don't seek medical attention)

  17. #57
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21,329
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    had a similar case with a ARDS secondary to DAH patient, literally had to stick the nurse with him all day intermittently bagging him until he got PLEX the next day. rough.

    And the mortality rate for influenza based on CDC data is <0.5% (probably less because this is only known cases, most people rightfully don't seek medical attention)
    Got a source/link for flu numbers by chance? His numbers are way off but the ones I had from cdc from Oct to now are also slightly hard to use because they have large discrepancies.

  18. #58
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21,329
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Ya know what don't answer, I'm not getting invested in this, now it's an NP getting involved and I'm out.

  19. #59
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    572
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    The CDC has good info on it per year:

    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

    But the 2016-2017 flu season is the latest with actually numbers

  20. #60
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21,329
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Quote Originally Posted by Restrat View Post
    The CDC has good info on it per year:

    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

    But the 2016-2017 flu season is the latest with actually numbers
    It's too easy for someone to look at that pyramid chart and say about half the people that go to the hospital with the flu die.

Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Unemployment Rate is 22.9%
    By test123 in forum Politics: Advanced Shitposting
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 2012-12-13, 22:20