might be a bit jarring if you ever watch TOS because some of the characters really get overshadowed and underutilized which SNW has been good at rectifying
if i continue think i'll go TNG or DS9. stick with the best of the best
That's for the best. There's good shit in voyager and some of discovery, but TNG/DS9 are the cream of the crop.
Lower Decks is great, but it requires an investment of the lore to get full value out of the jokes.
I'd do TNG first but don't feel bad skipping Season 1, though I'd watch "Arsenal of Freedom" cause I'm biased and just like that episode. Encounter at Farpoint 1/2 probably want to be watched just for crew introductions and such. Not much else in Season 1 worth the investment its quite shit tbh. Season 2 isn't superb either but its a marked improvement.
DS9 doesn't really have a bad season in my opinion, can start from the beginning and enjoy the ride, but I do suggest TNG first cause you'll get some bits of context for a few parts of DS9 plus familiarity with Worf / O'Brian, as well as some episodes featuring continuations of TNG episodes, I can only think of 1 but it'd be nice to have the context when you get there lol. The series 1 and only Q Episode.
Voyager I personally enjoy, maybe not as much as TNG/DS9, I rewatch it from time to time like I do the others, but its not necessary. Its got a slow first season and some episodes (especially later seasons with crew drama) are a bit to "YELLING MEANS EMOTION", but outside of that I liked most of the characters enough to keep going. Or I should say, Tuvok carries the entire show.
Season 1 of TNG is mostly a disaster, but agree with Farpoint 1/2 cause also introduces Q, a pretty important character in TNG series arc. Also season 1 is the only season of Denise Crosby as Natasha Yar, who was a god damn gift to watch in those uniforms.
She does technically appear again in S3 in "Yesterday's Enterprise," and also the Series Finale "All Good Things..."
As well as an appearance that’s more or less a sequel to Yesterdays Enterprise, but not in uniform.
Finally...
I guess they showed the Lower Decks crossover episode at SDCC and then put it up early on paramount plus
I predict this one may be a bit divisive...
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1682857446036086784
Kinda looks like a Once More With Feeling vibe.
I'm for it
song that almost made 12 yo AG a lesbian
They clearly had a lot of fun with this crossover episode.
Oh Jonathan Frakes directed it, that makes a lot of sense.
I still find songs/quotes from OMWF popping into my head randomly. I just know some people hate the idea of musicals in general.
Finally caught up and the cross over ep was pretty amazing.
finished season 1, first Star Trek dusted. ep 9 was WILD didn't think they'd go full Alien. Uhura's actor can't fuckin act but basically the entire rest of the cast slaps. lotta fun, some heady philosophical stuff in play (at least for a basic tv show). i still dk what the fuck stuff like the Dominion War or the Klingon Empire is but let's get it.
Dominion War is DS9 if you ever get around to watching that. It's all largely self contained in there outside of like this last season of Picard.
Klingon War is a bit more involved but for the sake of watching Strange New Worlds largely just need to know it was a big bloody conflict between the Federation and Klingon and they're still on bad terms, since the war would have only ended like 2 or 3 years prior. They eventually become mostly buddy buddy but that's another like 80-90 years past SNW.
Yah, the Dominion War is a Multi-Season arc in DS9, and its absolutely fucking wonderful TBH. I gush too much about DS9 but GD its peak Star Trek and everything modern Trek wishes it was. Season long arcs, good writing, political commentary as is Star Trek, good Side-Story episodes, all of it. Its basically a war between the Federation (and even Romulans join this one) and a multi-species army/group called "The Dominion" from the (Gamma?) Quadrant found through the Bajoran Wormhole which is the central mcguffin for DS9's story.
The Klingon War is pretty much TOS tier stuff, no other series really covers the Klingon War and TOS the "War" is pretty much "Klingons are the reoccurring villains of the show", and not so much a sweeping narrative. Some of the TOS movies do a bit more Klingon stuff, but you honestly never really explore the Klingon / Federation War, its just mostly referred to in the past-tense in TNG/DS9/Etc. Basically, The Federation kinda fucked up when meeting the Klingons what with cultural difference and it led to them being enemies for a long while, it wasn't until sometime between TOS and TNG that the Khitomer Accords was signed and there was general piece between Klingons/Federation... or at least a non-aggression pact.
I say between TOS and TNG because in TNG there is an episode, "Yesterday's Enterprise", where The Enterprise (C?) comes into the future, and a central lore to that episode is they were thrown into the future (and eventually travel back) to get Blowed up defending a Klingon outpost from the Romulans, an apparently very important event in the prime universe for the Klingon/Federation pact as their arrival alters reality to where Klingons/Federation are still at war (and losing).
So TL;DR on the Klingon War - they were just the reoccurring bad guys in TOS, but the war itself was solved off-screen between TOS and TNG, and is only ever touched on occasionally on screen. The only important thing to know is its over and Klingons/Federation are mostly allies now.
And TL;DR For Dominion War - Watch DS9. If you only want the Dominion War parts, I think Season 4+? You'll miss small bits of context but I THINK its Season 4~5 where the Dominion War kinda picks up, with the final season being almost entirely a season-long Dominion War resolution arc. Feels a bit rushed toward the end, i wish DS9 had more seasons, it deserved it.
Discovery is all about the Klingon War in the beginning, but I wouldn't recommend getting into since even if the middle of the series was pretty good it was sandwiched by major dogshit at the start and end.