Page 50 of 154 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1000 of 3068
  1. #981
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,909
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    1. I mean, winning is the gateway to progress. Better to have the opportunity and squander it than never have a chance.

    2. You do realize he presided over the roaring 20s and the Wall St. crash and Great Depression happened significantly after his death and two Presidents later? And that there was lots of social progress during the 20s including first wave feminism and early responses to industrialization?
    Do you think the Great Depression just happened because of Coolidge or something?

  2. #982
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,695
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    Do you think the Great Depression just happened because of Coolidge or something?
    I brought up how a campaign based on a promise of returning to normalcy, like Biden's, was previously wildly successful. Then you are like Harding was bad (as if that should matter when it comes to Trump vs. Biden). So I point out that even if he was a bad President, the 20s weren't a bad time and that he wasn't the primary proximate cause of the Great Depression.

    Overproduction of agricultural produce, over-indebtedness from too-easily available money (similar to 08), speculation in the late 20s, and the London market crash were all much more direct causes. And yes Coolidge's administration is more responsible for a lot of that than Harding.

  3. #983
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22,444
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries
    1

    I wonder what would happen if the government started encouraging companies to support remote work and did a rural electrification-style rural broadband initiative.

    I'm not saying I'd move to Ohio, but I'd happily consider bumblefuck Colorado or something.

  4. #984
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    I would blow my brains out being stuck in bumblefuck nowhere. Most postwar suburbs aren't any better. I doubt people will be leaving the (good) cities in droves due to the amount of amenities they provide.

    I could absolutely see some of the midsize cities start seeing population growth with cheaper housing that provide a level of car independence and diverse food/shopping/etc options that most large cities provide.

  5. #985
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,695
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the government started encouraging companies to support remote work and did a rural electrification-style rural broadband initiative.

    I'm not saying I'd move to Ohio, but I'd happily consider bumblefuck Colorado or something.
    There are a lot of challenges with doing broadband remotely that powerlines don't face. It's doable, but a lot more expensive than I can see our government being willing to do. It would be better to force telecoms to do it as part of carrier of last resort obligations.

  6. #986
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,872
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the government started encouraging companies to support remote work and did a rural electrification-style rural broadband initiative.

    I'm not saying I'd move to Ohio, but I'd happily consider bumblefuck Colorado or something.
    People are way ahead of you, take a look at the prices in the places you'd consider bumblefuck Colorado. Unless you're going to live in eastern Colorado (based on your comment I'm guessing this wouldn't be your cup of tea) you won't find cheap living.

    To me, if you can't afford or aren't working towards owning land you are wasting your time. If you can only rent in Seattle or LA or SF you shouldn't live there. But just my 2 cents.

    Doing you all a favor by not responding to ladyofhonors post since we already went over that bullshit for 3 pages

  7. #987
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,910
    BG Level
    10

    I scraped by renting in LA for 6 years before moving into a high paying position, but continued living extremely cheaply with an old paid off car and studio apartment for a couple years while I saved up like 40k/year and then was able to pounce when housing prices collapsed in 2011.

    Most people's incomes inch up more slowly so it's harder to "live like you're poor" for too long, but it works if you can be disciplined.

  8. #988
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    18,864
    BG Level
    9

    Not sure where to put this and didn't think it deserved its own thread so here we are:

    https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/89349..._medium=social

    The Speaker of the House for Ohio was arrested on bribery scheme charges along with an adviser, a former official, and two lobbyists.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  9. #989
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22,444
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries
    1

    Oh, I am living like a grad student here in DC. My salary has tripled in the last three years and I haven't changed anything.

    I could buy here in DC right now in cash, but I don't want to live in DC if I could instead scoop up a 300k 3 br, 2 ba somewhere less humid/densely populated with decent internet and lower cost of living.

  10. #990
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,872
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Oh, I am living like a grad student here in DC. My salary has tripled in the last three years and I haven't changed anything.

    I could buy here in DC right now in cash, but I don't want to live in DC if I could instead scoop up a 300k 3 br, 2 ba somewhere less humid/densely populated with decent internet and lower cost of living.
    take a gander at colorado real estate if you want to be disappointed.

    cost of living is basically only low in the midwest(100m east of the rockies) + vegas/random eastern states

  11. #991
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,716
    BG Level
    10

    I bought my first home in CO years before weed was legalized and the property has damn near tripled in value lol.

  12. #992
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22,444
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries
    1

    DC is where you can spend 1 mil for a rowhouse.

    I am descending from one of the peaks and I am not interested in a super huge house/lot.

    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ado-Springs_CO

    This is generally fine house/$ for me, but my wife is tethered to DC (working on it) so I haven't investigated thoroughly.

  13. #993
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,269
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Ya'll making me not want to move to Colorado lol

  14. #994

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,277
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    the western slope is what's up

    sometimes i daydream Xno sugar daddies me out to the Million Dollar Highway

  15. #995
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    Chicago north and northwest side is where it's at. Come at me. No mountains unfortunately, but when the fresh water wars begin you'll be safe.

  16. #996
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,872
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    wait.. you're shitting on living in the middle of nowhere and you live in chicago?

    i mean yeah there's objectively lots of people there.. but..

  17. #997
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    wait.. you're shitting on living in the middle of nowhere and you live in chicago?

    i mean yeah there's objectively lots of people there.. but..
    Man you are really not on top of your game today are you?

  18. #998

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,277
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    **camera pan and zoom**

    Or -is- he?

  19. #999
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,872
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    i wouldn't be caught dead saying chicago is better than, and i quote "bumblefuck nowhere".

    shit summers, shit winters, high COL, high crime rates, worst toll roads in the nation.

    but yeah, you do you

  20. #1000
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,269
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    i wouldn't be caught dead saying chicago is better than, and i quote "bumblefuck nowhere".

    shit summers, shit winters, high COL, high crime rates, worst toll roads in the nation.

    but yeah, you do you
    But baseball and pizza.

Page 50 of 154 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast