Thread: GM Feedback     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

GM Feedback

(Another damn GM-related thread. If this is too long to read, skip to the bottom for a nice pretty picture with a summary)

Okay, so many recent events have indicated that GMs can't/won't do a damn thing about gilsellers, and here's why. I've worked in customer care before, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of how things are done.

SE outsources their customer support to another agency. This agency probably has several clients, of which SE is only one. This agency gets paid a lot of money to handle SE's in-game and out-of-game problems. Quite a lot of money. They want to keep SE happy any way they can, so that SE doesn't terminate the service contract and find some other agency to do the work for them.

Now, the problem is, most of the avenues players have been using to send feedback go through this agency. I'm talking about GM calls, the PlayOnline phone support, e-mail support, etc. The people on the "front lines" (GMs, CSRs) are probably $10/hr flunkies who can't do anything other than follow a strict procedure when it comes to handling complaints - Namely, they forward it to their superiors and close the ticket. Their superiors look at the complaint and then ignore it.

The reason gilsellers aren't being banned is because of bureaucracy. This agency most likely doesn't have the authorization to ban one of SE's paying customers without SE's explicit permission, so even if a player gets a hundred reports, it still has to filter through the proper channels until it reaches one of SE's executives, who finally makes the go/no-go decision to make the ban.

The support agency, again, is primary concerned with keeping the client happy. The agents (GMs, TSRs) are paid to keep the client happy, and all of the procedures they follow were designed to keep the client happy. Keeping customers happy? Well, that'd be nice, but the customers aren't the ones paying their salaries. SE pays their salaries, and they need to make it look like they're doing a good job. It's all about statistics: Average handle times, average hold times, average incidents-resolved-per-hour, all have to be kept down.

We need to tell Square-Enix what we think of their customer support, not the customer support people themselves. Money talks, and if Square hears that the agency they've hired to do the job isn't doing a good job, I can most positively assure you that the boot will come down and things will change.

There's always an avenue of feedback that goes directly to the parent company instead of through the customer support agency, so I decided to find it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thank you for contacting the PlayOnline Information Center. Please wait while you are connected to the next available agent. You will be notified once you are connected to an agent.
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
    The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.
    Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
    Network connection re-established.
    You have been connected to FFXI TSR Carl.
    FFXI TSR Carl: Hello, $NAME, thank you for contacting the PlayOnline Information Center. Just a few moments while I review your question, please.

(I ask him to reset my password as a pretense for the questions to come)

Me: thanks.
    Me: just out of curiosity, are you folks in the same offices as the FFXI GMs?
    FFXI TSR Carl: Same building, different department and floor.
    Me: ah... you've never met GM Gludd, have you?
    Me: actually, since he's in another department, you probably haven't... forget about that. I do have one other question, though..
    Me: I understand that Square passes their customer service work for FFXI along to another company. I've done customer support work before, so I know what kind of environment that can be...
    Me: There's always pressure to keep handle times down and get more issues marked as resolved, even if they aren't actually resolved...
    Me: So my question is, are you aware of any avenues that an end user could communicate with Square itself and let them know what they think of the work their customer support people (GMs) are doing?
    Me: A lot of people in the FFXI community feel that in-game GMs aren't really getting things done because the agency doing the work is only trying to please Square, not the end user
    FFXI TSR Carl: At anytime, feed back can be submitted directly ro SE Japan about anything POL, TM or FFXI related. Simply go to Service and Support, Support, Email, Comments and Suggestions from your POL viewer.
    Me: Thanks. Feedback sent there goes directly to SE?
    FFXI TSR Carl: It does and they do read it, you most likely won't get an actual reply back.
    Me: Yeah, I understand that, I know how it is with that sort of feedback. Thanks a lot for the pointer.
    FFXI TSR Carl: The character restores, World Migration and the Return Home campaign were a result of a demand in regards to such individual scenario.
    Me: Like I said, I've done customer care work in the past, so I know what kind of environment and what kind of pressures you folks there work under
    FFXI TSR Carl: Is there anything else I can help you with right now?
    Me: Nope, that's it... thanks again.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In summary, for the people who didn't want to bother reading any of this:
    http://www.control-v.net/ffxi/suggestions.jpg
    That button is a direct line to Square-Enix Japan that bypasses the GM and Customer "Service" agency. Go tell Square-Enix what you think about the fantastic job they're doing.

Post links to this thread elsewhere in the community, and hopefully we can get more people informed about this.

Cool, I just sent a message.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Sent them a good long letter. Hopefully something will get done about this

Gonna post this on other boards aswell as send messages from both my account and my brothers account. Thanks.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Same. Spread the word. I'll be putting this on my little linkshell and others as well.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Awesome, thank you, rahskala. I quoted your post and reposted on KI, Allakhazam, my LS site, and FFXIO.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I just sent a nice letter. Everyone do it gogogogo!

sent my letter. included everything i told GMs but they ignored and much more

LOL, thanks to Rahs, SE is about to have their own server crash due to the magical "Suggestions" button... LMFAO

Get em guys.... get em...

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

sent em a peice of my mind.

I dont expect anything but to be ignored.

I posted a link to this thread from KI asura forums, we've been having "problems" where our Gilfarmers get Wyrmal Body abj's -_-

Hopefully if we spam this button enough we'll see them come out of ENM (god damn not BCNM, collecting 99 seals is torture when JP's bot days for a HQ)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    sent em a peice of my mind.

I dont expect anything but to be ignored.
    Maybe so, but at least now you'll be ignored by Square-Enix themselves, instead of some customer service rep who doesn't even bother forwarding it to them.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by rahskala

Maybe so, but at least now you'll be ignored by Square-Enix themselves.

LOL that's some comfort at least!

Purrenialvixen

Bold purple font.

To me that screams, "OMFG PAY ATTENSHUN 2 MI."

(I'm mean, among other things..)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maturity through perverse sexuality perhaps.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

As long as you are paying attention, my work is done. Back on topic, thank you for the info, someone in my LS just asked for this info, so I'm pasting a link. TY!

Purrenialvixen

<-- Owned.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Just read this thread now. I sent them a letter expressing my thoughts too, mostly about RMT since it's such a huge problem. I explained that I expected nothing more than a canned response from them anyway...

...and of course the next day my POL email was beeping at me, and contained *drum roll* a canned response. But like someone else mentioned, at least it was hopefully read by SE themselves.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ban

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

How is it so hard to Ban a gilseller when a normal player can be banned for nothing at all and given no reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    LOL, thanks to Rahs, SE is about to have their own server crash due to the magical "Suggestions" button... LMFAO

Get em guys.... get em...
    Next update on patch:

'A problem concerning the "Suggestion button" has been corrected, All mail now sent through the "Suggestion button" will be sent directly to the GM's for a closer investigation of your problems. We deeply apologize for the inconvience'