+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer Holiday blues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Summer Holiday blues

Okay... so my summer has been good so far with my attempts to stop my mother from sending me to Australia, but now i'm bored cause my friends are out of town for a few days. =(

So onto the real question, anybody have any games(emulator games included)/movies(any language is fine with subs)/anime(mostly comedy or action)/manga(comedy/action/drama) worth downloading and looking at? I don't mean to give me the link or the file, just recommend somethings and give me some names and maybe a little summary... I like summaries.

games:

Ikaruga (GC)
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)
    online poker
    real life poker

movies:

anything on this list:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... silentecho

classes start today for me, so I have the summer blues too, the end of summer blues =/

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Dynasty Warriors 5 is a pretty fun game.

Then again you can get drunk and anything is amusing...

Just go chill at Blackpool or Liverpool or one of those pools.

go shoot pool, that's always fun

Wow, classes in August? Mine start the 19th of September, and I still haven't written my 2000 word essay on THE HISTORY OF TYPOGRAPHY! Lord help me...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    games:

Ikaruga (GC)
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)
    online poker
    real life poker

movies:

anything on this list:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... silentecho

classes start today for me, so I have the summer blues too, the end of summer blues =/

I se A little too much Spongebob Squarepants for my taste on that list.

Play FFXI.

Akiro

get on vent and talk to me ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Aurin
    I se A little too much Spongebob Squarepants for my taste on that list.

I love spongebob

and yes, I started class today, in fact, im in class as I type this, shows how much I care

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Wow, classes in August? Mine start the 19th of September, and I still haven't written my 2000 word essay on THE HISTORY OF TYPOGRAPHY! Lord help me...
    Typography is the rightful distribution of letters and spaces (historically, using lead type) on a surface (sometimes vellum, usually paper, and now -- apparently -- a monitor or screen) to convey information and facilitate understanding. Typographers are people who get excited by letters: their shapes and forms, their colour, their power when combined into words, their history and their future. While this is not the place for a discussion of language or literature, it is precisely those areas of our culture with which typography is concerned.
    Although calligraphers are not usually considered typographers, the history of typography must begin with calligraphy for when Gutenberg invented printing from movable type, all his knowledge of character shapes, spelling, page layout, etc, was based on the books available to him which were, of course, hand written by monks and other scribes. Attractive, practical page proportions, the amount of text on a page, line length, margins, etc, had long since been established: all he tried to do was mass produce books to look as though they had been written by scribes. Since then, many typographers have fiddled with these constraints for practical or aesthetic purposes, with varying degrees of success.

The individual letters conveying my words to your mind have distinct shapes which were established over the course of centuries by people making marks on clay, papyrus, marble, vellum or paper. (See here for a brief history of lettershapes.) Using suitable tools these marks were scratched, painted, or incised to represent the sounds of the language. Today, in spite of a proliferation of designs, we all recognize the 26 letters of the roman alphabet along with arabic numerals and miscellaneous, but important, punctuation. If we don't recognize an A as an A, for example, the basic essential for communication of thought is lacking, and that particular design fails in its primary purpose, no matter how aesthetically pleasing it may be. Similarly, we expect to see a certain amount of space around the letters in a word, both vertically, on either side, and horizontally, between the lines. If this space is exaggerated either more or less, reading -- and comprehension -- is impaired. The first duty of a typographer, then, is to the content of the message: it must be readable.

Until fairly recently, typographers were people who could make (cast) type, arrange it for a page and, often, print it. Printed matter generally was restricted to books, newspapers, posters and other such ephemera. Over the last hundred years or so, the power of the image has come to the fore ("one picture is worth a thousand words") and the typographer evolved into the commercial artist, then the graphic designer, and now the desktop publisher! We are bombarded daily with messages, both printed and electronic, and designers attempt to make each message both distinctive and inviting. Through the use of images, colour, contrasts of size, form, etc, they make their posters, ads, magazines or web pages say "Hey, read me! I'm more interesting (or informative, or elegant, or hip) than that one over there." Today's typographers are pushing the boundaries of legibility, breaking all the rules established over 500 years of the printed word, in some cases, just because they can. Some theorists think that if things continue in this way, people will read less and less (either because they have less time or because too much effort is needed), symbols will be used more and more to convey essential information, and we will have gone full circle back to the time of pictographs or images on cave walls.

YEA I HAVE NO IDEA LOL

That movie Amelie' was strange yet interesting. I dont really got into foreign films but that one was good. Strange strange strange.

that's soooo easy, and yes we start classes way before you but we also probably finish way before you too... still at school =/

I never said it was hard it's just so... OH GOD, WHY TYPOGRAPHY?! It's like the most boring thing you could have to do WHEN YOU'RE STUDYING GRAPHICS!

Nice of you to post that nightbreed, even though I can't use a single word if it cause it doesn't relate to what I have to do XD

Also, you have a pretty good collection... apart from sponge bob >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    that's soooo easy, and yes we start classes way before you but we also probably finish way before you too... still at school =/
    My school (yay dual enrolled community college student -.-) starts on the 29th of August, Winter break is usually a month (4 weeks) long and I remember last year I was out on May 6th I think.

May 6th - Aug 29th OH YES!! almost 4 months summer and add winter break if you want.. On top of that, we have spring break (a week) and I live in Florida, So we were out of commision for about 1½ weeks due to hurricanes last year. I was at school 7/12 months, not too bad, and beats the hell out of public high school.