Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: AF2 Counterstance     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #1
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    600
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    AF2 Counterstance

    Do you have to keep the boots on for the effect to stay enhanced or can I swap to Fumas and just macro in the boots?

  2. #2

    pretty sure boots need to stay on

  3. #3

    As far as I know they work like boost and AF1 gloves, you can take them off once you use the ability and it still stays active.

  4. #4

    But they could work like focus and dodge and go down once it's unequipped...

  5. #5
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

    i think you have to keep them on.

  6. #6
    Chram
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,887
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

    Didn't a post a while back (with links to a thread on KI) prove that Melee Gaiters seemingly do nothing for Counterstance? I tried to find it last night without luck actually.

  7. #7

    It does something I know that much, I think it was 40% ish to 70% ish...

  8. #8
    Smells like Onions
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    BG Level
    0

    Melee Gaiters Fun

    I think you need to have them on in order for the effect to remain, and yes...they really do boost your counters. I was able to solo a VT with sub warrior due to my counter rate with them on along with counterstance...I countered about 4/5.

  9. #9
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    600
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Yeah, I definitely notice a boost when wearing 'em - but oh well. I'll keep 'em on anyway

  10. #10

    Majority of monks I know of who have it say you can just use it when you use counterstance, and then equip something else for the duration. I've always heard its a very noticable boost.

  11. #11
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    866
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    I'm pretty sure they improve the countering-rate, but don't they also increase the duration of counterstance ?

    With Melee Gaiters on, the ability lasts 5 minutes, meaning you can have constant counterstance on, since it has a 5 minutes cool-down...

  12. #12
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    I'm pretty sure they improve the countering-rate, but don't they also increase the duration of counterstance ?

    With Melee Gaiters on, the ability lasts 5 minutes, meaning you can have constant counterstance on, since it has a 5 minutes cool-down...
    counterstance is 5 minute use, 5 minute duration.

  13. #13

    Counterstance duration is 5 minutes anyway.

    Gradient's testing, which was aimed at finding what "enhanced counter" on Spharai meant, showed that against too-weak monsters Melee Gaiters have no discernable effect.

    That leaves the door open for what it actually does do. A few people have theorized that it gives a large accuracy boost for the counter check (counter rate is based on your accuracy)

  14. #14
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    866
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    oh ok. I never used it before i got Melee Gaiters >.<

  15. #15
    Chram
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,887
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Counterstance duration is 5 minutes anyway.

    Gradient's testing, which was aimed at finding what "enhanced counter" on Spharai meant, showed that against too-weak monsters Melee Gaiters have no discernable effect.

    That leaves the door open for what it actually does do. A few people have theorized that it gives a large accuracy boost for the counter check (counter rate is based on your accuracy)
    Would you mind posting the link to his findings again (either here or on the original KI topic)?

  16. #16

    On a too weak I have noticed the effect, accuracy takes place while countering so (if you can't hit it anyway you can't counter) you can never get 100% counter. You can see how much it increases counter rate on EP, with and without counterstanced af2, I did this a while back while unlocking my destroyers in kuftal, and i've played around with it while in KRT too.

  17. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Counterstance duration is 5 minutes anyway.

    Gradient's testing, which was aimed at finding what "enhanced counter" on Spharai meant, showed that against too-weak monsters Melee Gaiters have no discernable effect.

    That leaves the door open for what it actually does do. A few people have theorized that it gives a large accuracy boost for the counter check (counter rate is based on your accuracy)
    Would you mind posting the link to his findings again (either here or on the original KI topic)?
    http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=73497&d=0
    http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=p ... 78#1373078

    Note that gradient's math is wrong, so you have to look further down the thread for the corrections, or you can analyse it yourself from the ample raw data he provided.

    If I had melee gaiters, I'd run this test: counterstance using a staff/club/underleveled weapon against something which I had about 50% accuracy, with boots, without boots, and macroing boots.

    PS. Nobody (to my knowledge) has proved that the "enhances focus" effect disappears when you macro out temple crown. In fact, I kinda remember someone proving the bonus was retained. But, I can't (or am too lazy to) find numbers that show the issue one way or the other.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. AF2 descriptions
    By nivlakian in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2005-08-16, 17:04
  2. 8 pieces of af2!?
    By Squallblade in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-07-18, 12:58
  3. WHM Af2 Body vs Nobles?
    By Severus in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2005-06-02, 16:24
  4. PLD AF2 Body
    By Aratharn in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2005-03-21, 07:41
  5. visual af2
    By berticus in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2004-11-02, 18:23
  6. AF2 AF2 AF2 ~ Nombres es Interesante (or something)
    By Yummy in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2004-09-01, 12:10
  7. AF2: only lot if you can equip
    By joft in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2004-07-29, 08:31
  8. Maru spotted wearing WHM AF2 Body [1 Pic]
    By Medic in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2004-07-19, 06:48