Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parrying Skill     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Parrying Skill

so...i didnt see any particular topic solely dedicated to parrying skill...or more specifically parrying skill ups...i used to get 3 or 4 lvls just from standard xp every 40k or so, but now that im 75nin ive been doing a lot of utsu:burns so im not always tanking anymore...i lvld rdm to 37 for phalanx and ive used arhats jinpachi+1/gi+1 w/earth*terra* staff and jelly ring, for a grand total of -40% phys. dmg and sat in boyahda tree killing korrigans w/phalanx and no utsu, but i barely skill up at all...maybe 1 skill up in an hour...ive thought about taking pld to 75 purely for parrying skill gain, but idk...any thoughts/suggestions? parrying curently @186 (/sigh)

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Spelunker's Hat seems to work wonders, from a nm in range w/e its spelled pass. NM hecteye Tsumeitaisai (sp)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Taisaijan, but the drop and the pop itself are totally skeptical if I remember correctly.

NIN evade always a lot more than they parry, so getting parries in general is hard. Wearing skillup items and doing the way you did is probably the best you can manage.

Tanking for like 6 hours with solo/duo/party stuff, I'll get maybe 1 skillup if I'm lucky, and I'm only 205. I got 2 levels in 3 days when I first got Sea (finished the missions one day and did Temenos the other) and almost wet myself at the skillup rate of that.

It sucks, that's all there is too it. I have found that HNMs and such seem to skill more than normal mobs.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by kazen
    Spelunker's Hat seems to work wonders, from a nm in range w/e its spelled pass. NM hecteye Tsumeitaisai (sp)
    Isn't the NM on a really wacked out spawn time though?

And for the record, 75 PLD and 74 WAR, and my parrying is at 215, not capped.

Not to mention nobody has ever gotten a drop from him, and nobody knows how to make him pop, except the rumor that you must not kill any Taisai for 72 hours.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The nm was up when i as just bored walking around in the pass, so i killed it Btw i found that fighting aqua with spelunkers hat is nice skill ups. Not really a camped nm anymore either.

Edit: I've gotten the drop on my first kill

SS prz

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No windower but if someone on bahamut can take a SS thats fine, just give me a /tell

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

any thoughts on -eva vs. +parrying skill, thinking specifically of haub vs. yasha

Xavier

parry is one of the most retardedly hard combat skills to gain levels on.

After sam, pld, nin and war, my parry finally capped on war at 220 while skilling up great axe a few days ago. Nothing but time and tanking everything you see is going to make capping it possible.

Ask the guy who has capped parry in his sig to talk about how he did it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Parry does suck to lvl :/ I got war to 75 and ninja to 71 and my parry is only 200

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Ask the guy who has capped parry in his sig to talk about how he did it.
    i PMd a couple days ago, but no response, so i figured i would take it to open forums

191 skill here. =/

248.2 and slowly climbing. It's ALL hard work and just straight up tanking anything that can skill you for LONG periods of time. Merit alot... tank alot of HNMs, skill up alot, there's no real cap-parry-quick method. Im sure Demetrios could tell you that. :D

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

dont *TRY* to level it...you're just going to go insane.

wear whatever you can to boost your chances (AGI+, eva-, parry+....yes, AGI+, even if it helps evasion, it'll help parry too), and just go farm stuff that can skill up your parry skill.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

not really looking for a 'get rich quick' just a 'steady income' kinda thing...i solo skill up like a fiend...<3 blue skills :D i got several lvls in kuftal working off the latents on WS ktn and senjuinrikio and heart snatcher...ive been fighting steelshells most recently, but kinda iffy to solo w/E class weapons

Might want to try level cap areas if your skill is low. The problem with skilling up parry and guard is that generally the monsters that give you the best skillups (T-VT to your current skill) you are going to evade like 95% of their attacks.

If your parry is like, 80-123, try soloing in Riverne A. For 123-153 try Riverne B. Target the hippos because those are easy for a good ninja. Unfortunately, there are no cap60 zones (yet) so once you hit 153 you're back to wearing all the -evasion you can and doing things like Robber Crabs.

Similar strategies work for leveling guard btw, except leveling guard is much much harder. My guard skill on monk is 139, which is capped for level 45, and it triggers quite a bit on mobs under 50.

There is a level 60 cap Pso'xja tower.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

good advice aurik, but unfortunately, my parry is *almost* capped for lvl 60...ive only got 1 75, and only been there for a few months, so i guess i just grind it out...

i think theres a food that gives +parrying and will help you skill it up faster, i think it was sweet ricecakes... but i might be talking out of my ass too!

nevermind.. it gives +5 evasion not parry lol... i just remember that this ninja with capped parry used this food alot. so sorry...