+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rise against and Thrice?     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

Rise against and Thrice?

How populare are those 2 bands in USA? I love them, but NO ONE! absolutly NO ONE in Sweden have even heard about them.. So, how big are they in USA or Canada?

I dont know about america but french zerg the concerts.

I like Rise Against... Never really listenend to Thrice but some of my friends do... they are gonna be on the Warped Tour... so they must have SOME popularity

Rise against is great, they are surely on the warped tour when it hits minnesota.

Thrice is hit or miss. I have one album and it might have one decent song. I have a single from another album, and that song is REALLY good, imo.

I think I might have seen the Rise Against slow song from the newer album on MTV afterhours once, or maybe youtube.com had it. Anyways, Rise Against is a good new band I think.

But it surprises me how not 'main-stream' they are. Especially Coheed and Cambria. I think they blow anyone new band out of the water but still couldn't make the radio.

But Minnesota Rock radio is non-existant. It consists of one radio station that plays:
    1) Nirvana
    2) Old shit like: Warrant, Ratt, Poison, Scorpions, etc.
    3) New ghey shit: New metallica, new korn, new staind, new songs from bands that were good, etc.

I want to live in the USA... Swedish radio plays 80% swedish bands. 40% of those are good, but they kinda spam a 13 year old girls songs... And Rise Against? If I asked them to play that, they would ask me: What the HELL is rise against?!

At work we listen to internet radio. Windows Media player, radio tuner and just search for X, they have a good track list, I've heard Rise Against and Thrice on it, plus they play Coheed a few times a day. All in a all a good mix of what I think is the new trendy American Rock:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5876/radio2ux.jpg

Just an example of what played as I posted.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Thrice is popular because they constantly whore themselves out, and when they were first starting were on tour about 330 days a year. Really though I saw them three times in concert in 2 months in Vegas while they were opening for other bands (go go whoring themselves out, they're not even from there), and they sucked imo.

And depends what you consider popular to say about Rise Against. If you mean popular in the usual punk/ska circles then yeah they are pretty well-known, but if in general you mean popular then no they're not. Until Siren Song of the Counter Culture no one would have heard of them outside of the punk scene, but they had a song or two on the radio occasionally and Give It All was in NFSU2 so a few know them by now.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Never heard of them, but its sounds like a punk band.. so ew, no.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

You live in Sweden and like groups like these??

Get some Opeth, Cult of Luna and Meshuggah in you.

What the heck is that?!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Ban.

Cool it's a ban?!

(BAN) works to prevent the globalization of the toxic chemical crisis. In particular, we seek to ensure that the Basel Convention and its ban on the export ...

Quote Originally Posted by Russta

I saw Meshuggah open for TOOL, they were interesting. The crowd wasn't really into it. But I haven't heard a studio song to judge.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Russta

I saw Meshuggah open for TOOL, they were interesting. The crowd wasn't really into it. But I haven't heard a studio song to judge.
    same. Couldn't get into the studio stuff so much.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Thrice makes my pants tight.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    Thrice makes my pants tight.
    Yar! Been my favorite band since the first song I heard by them (Deadbolt). This was back when Illusion of Safety had just come out. I'm really happy about what they've turned the band into. Identity Crisis kinda hard to listen to nowadays with all their other music being so different now. IC being the only punk CD I'll listen to now lol.

For anyone who hasn't listened to them...pick up their albums in order and listen. They have the most drastic change in genre I've ever seen--even if it is gradual over 3 albums. Considering it's only been 7-8 years since their 1st CD, they've come a long way!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Thrice used to be good when they released their first album. They had heart and they actually tried to deliver a message.

But the songs on the recent 3 albums suck for the most part, it shows that they were rushed to make songs. On top of that, their songs are simple and use the same recycled style (1 rythme guitar, 1 guitar playing lead while the singer sings) it gets to you after a while.

As for Rise Against, I dont' know 'em much, but they are pretty good from what i've heard.

I used to be a hardcore punkrocker in High school, I started with mxpx(better than most pop punk bands), then nofx, lagwagon etc.

A big name in Canada is Belvedere. They are prolly one of the best fast-melodic punk bands out there. You must check 'em out.

Good Belvedere Albums:

Fast Foward eats the tape.
    Because no one stopped us.
    'Twas Hell Said Former Child(my fav).

btw, have you ever heard of In Flames? Not exactly punk but a really good band.

oh oh oh, I almost forgot. One of my fav albums is "Hello Rockview" by Less Than Jake, a must buy.

And for Riggy, if Thrice is all you listen to, you need to expand your horizons friend.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I love Rise Against, but Thrice (I've seen them 3 times live as they've opened for other bands I went to see) was really average.

Siren Song of the Counterculture's a fun album, but a lot of the songs sound the same. But the sound is good, so...eh.

Punk died when Minor Threat broke.

/discuss?

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Both Rise Against and Thrice are great bands. Actually, around July of last year I was really, really into RA, and when I went to their concert later that year, they introduced me to other bands (which eventually lead me to drop whatever I liked at the moment, and indulge myself into a new genre). One of those new bands was Thrice, and even though I had heard of them before (thanks, ironically, to Ondori's Sky video on this very site in first half of 2004), I was forced to listen to a couple CDs of theirs. When they came by in the Taste of Chaos tour, they were so amazing, it was unreal (and again, during that concert, I was introduced to the greatest group of all time, As I Lay Dying).

Without typing out my full musical biography, I'll just say that, yes, both RA and Thrice are very, very good bands and are somewhat popular in Canada (not sure about the US). Both bands have had one single on regular radio play, but nothing more... they are more of a personal "go-to-the-store/internet-and-buy/download-their-CD-if-you-want-to-hear-more" type thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag