+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motherboards     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

Motherboards

Basically following up this old post: http://www.theorderls.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9472

I'm having the same fan problem. An IT guy at work thinks that the best solution would be to get another mother board, especially if I can't get into the BIOS. He said if I could get into the BIOS I could probably change the fans or settings, but the PC won't even boot up.

Any more suggestions? I'm computer illiterate, but are motherboards bascially the same? Should I just bring it in to the Computer Science kids that run a shop in town and have them hook me up?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

If changing the fan and/or power supply wont solve your problem, get a new motherboard.

Motherboards aren't the same. They have different ports on them (for like your graphics and sound cards) and they support different processors and types of memory so if you want to use any of your old components they have to be compatible.

As far as brands, Asus is pretty nice. Go take your computer to the shop, they should be able to help you out better.

Like Best Buy? LOLOL.
    "OK we'll just run Ad-Aware... You're all set!" j/k

Abit fans tend to die alot. If you buy another Abit board, replace the fans. Good boards, bad fans.

Quote Originally Posted by vudoodoodoo
    Like Best Buy? LOLOL.
    "OK we'll just run Ad-Aware... You're all set!" j/k

Abit fans tend to die alot. If you buy another Abit board, replace the fans. Good boards, bad fans.
    i don't know what the cpu fan is, but the mother board is Abit.

THe fan works just fine, it just doesn't working when the motherboard is supplying the power.

Yeah the Abit fans are trash, replace it asap if you get one. Mobo rocks otherwise.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? I've had my PC not start up a few times, cleared the CMOS, entered the BIOS and my PC runs like normal again. But I'm guessing you/IT guy tried that already.

I like Azus boards myself

Quote Originally Posted by Angelsin
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS? I've had my PC not start up a few times, cleared the CMOS, entered the BIOS and my PC runs like normal again. But I'm guessing you/IT guy tried that already.

I like Azus boards myself
    I don't think I can restart the CMOS at all (if its something I have to do with the PC running). The PC won't boot up at all, I assume because its not registering power to the CPU fan. The other IT guy that I had working on it, we did flip out the watch battery, and I tried that this time to no avail.

So negative on Abit, Asus and Mobo?

Ok, I can't offer any advice on how to fix your motherboard but here's a program that can detect pretty much all your computer stats like Processor, Clocks, Cache, Motherboard, BIOS, Graphics Interface, Memory, Memory Timings and Individual Memory Slot specs. It's very helpful if you don't know what motherboard you have.
    It's called CPU-Z, I got it from a Computer book cd but you can download it from http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-133.zip

To reset the CMOS doesn't take much and you have to do it with the power off. On my motherboard, there's a spot with 3 jumpers like on a HD to change from "save CMOS" (2 lower jumpers) to "Clear CMOS" (2 upper ones). You never leave your jumpers in "Clear CMOS", you just switch it for like a min in the clear CMOS setting then switch it back to Save CMOS. Not sure about your MB though, you can look up the CMOS jumpers though in your manual.

semi necro bumping my own post:

Getting a Asus P5LD2 945P LGA775 Dual Core P4 1066 FSB/Dual-DDR2 667/PCI-E/SATA II/GbLan/8-Ch SND put in... hopefully it won't die.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag