Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: BLM Merit: Group 2     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #1
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    302
    BG Level
    4

    BLM Merit: Group 2

    Did anyone get the 2nd merit for Freeze 2 or Burst 2 yet? How is it compare to the 1st upgrade?

  2. #2

    I was thinking about it, but held off. I'm tempted to just put one point in all of the spells for fun.. but then the other part of me just wants to bump up freeze2 and burst2 to go with the potency merits I have. Hard to choose.

  3. #3
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilo
    I was thinking about it, but held off. I'm tempted to just put one point in all of the spells for fun.. but then the other part of me just wants to bump up freeze2 and burst2 to go with the potency merits I have. Hard to choose.
    I suppose it would depend on whether or not the AM2 spells are tiered in damage similar to how all the other BLM spells are (concerning Thunder > Ice > Fire > Aero > Water > Stone). If they're not, I could see a benefit in unlocking them all (aside from maybe Quake).

  4. #4
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,859
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilo
    I was thinking about it, but held off. I'm tempted to just put one point in all of the spells for fun.. but then the other part of me just wants to bump up freeze2 and burst2 to go with the potency merits I have. Hard to choose.
    I suppose it would depend on whether or not the AM2 spells are tiered in damage similar to how all the other BLM spells are (concerning Thunder > Ice > Fire > Aero > Water > Stone). If they're not, I could see a benefit in unlocking them all (aside from maybe Quake).
    I thought even the AM1 was tiered differently than the other magics? As I recall AM1 was tiered (from weakest to strongest) Ice > Wind > Earth > Thunder > Water > Fire. Would it not make sense for AM2 to be structured the same way?

  5. #5
    Hayama
    Guest

    an upgrade adds 3 MAB and 5 m. acc, if what I read was correct. I'd be willing to bet the MAB part at least is right. Not sure if it lowers recast time too.

  6. #6
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilo
    I was thinking about it, but held off. I'm tempted to just put one point in all of the spells for fun.. but then the other part of me just wants to bump up freeze2 and burst2 to go with the potency merits I have. Hard to choose.
    I suppose it would depend on whether or not the AM2 spells are tiered in damage similar to how all the other BLM spells are (concerning Thunder > Ice > Fire > Aero > Water > Stone). If they're not, I could see a benefit in unlocking them all (aside from maybe Quake).
    I thought even the AM1 was tiered differently than the other magics? As I recall AM1 was tiered Ice > Wind > Earth > Thunder > Water > Fire. Would it not make sense for AM2 to be structured the same way?
    The AM1 is tiered I think, but in my experience, Bahamut landing Flare 2 on me doesn't do much more damage than the Jailer of Hope landing Burst 2 on me. Need someone willing to unlock all 6 and do some testing.

  7. #7
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,143
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

    AM2 is not teired, but Freeze II will actually do more damage because of the INT +4/5 on your Ice/Aquilo's staff.

  8. #8
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,227
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    The tier I-IVs and AMs have their respective tiering because they are learned at different levels. Avatar tier IVs, which are all learned at the same time, have no tiering. AM2s are all made available at the same time, too, so it is possible they have no tiering, as well.

  9. #9
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    66
    BG Level
    2

    same dmg, same cast time, same mp cost

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayama
    an upgrade adds 3 MAB and 5 m. acc, if what I read was correct. I'd be willing to bet the MAB part at least is right. Not sure if it lowers recast time too.
    Only on MB, which is cool, because it guarantees a need for skillchain and not straight manaburn to get the full effect.

  11. #11
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,586
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    I have Tornado2, Freeze2 and Burst2.

    Burst2 does the most damage but not by much over Freeze2. Tornado2 is about 100pts less.

    5 Thunder merits, 4 Blizz and 1 Wind, btw.

    I just upgraded Burst2 one time and will test it out a little in a min.


    edit: and when would you even use a spell other then Thunder, Blizzard or Wind?

  12. #12
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,859
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    I have Tornado2, Freeze2 and Burst2.

    Burst2 does the most damage but not by much over Freeze2. Tornado2 is about 100pts less.

    5 Thunder merits, 4 Blizz and 1 Wind, btw.

    I just upgraded Burst2 one time and will test it out a little in a min.
    So, without your merits, they're all basically the same right? Which would agree with what Khamsin and others said earlier in the thread

  13. #13
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,852
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Interesting that they all do relatively the same dmg, but for most BLM, Burst and Freeze will do more.

    Im more interested on the dmg diffrence of Burst lvl3 vs Burst lvl1 (on a MB I guess, but also in general), if its close to the same damage, im just going to put 1 point into all the AMIIs.

  14. #14
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,022
    BG Level
    9

    I'm thinking of going: 3 merits in Burst II, 1 merit in Freeze II, 1 merit in Tornado II, and 1 merit in Flood. However, I would like someone to test how much of a difference Flood(/Tornado) makes makes to Earth(/Ice) spells. I'm thinking it might make no different or on the other hand a huge difference. So could someone test that?

    Anyway, if the BLM nerf did anything(doesn't look like it)... these merits were the answer. +3 on Magic Bursts(+3%? MAB+3?) and Magic Accuracy+5 per upgrade.

  15. #15

    Freeze with Ice/Aquillo's will do more cause of INT on the staff, and Freeze/Burst do more for most cause people have Ice and Thunder merited... Don't quite get what the big mystery is.

    As for upgrades, the text is Increase Spell II magic burst damage by 3, so the effectiveness depends what this 3 means, the most obvious guess would be 3% extra MB damage per level (comparison material being Static Earring's effective +5).

    Oh and good job SE mispelling Tornado in the description, go Torando II

  16. #16
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,586
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    So, my crappy Tests:

    Taru 75BLM/RDM
    No staves, didn't want to add dmg to spells, just wanted base damage.
    316 Elemental Magic
    INT 79+42
    +11 Magic Atk Bonus
    Windday no weather. (didn't use obi or pants)
    Didn't use alot of DD gear, as I just wanted to compare as close to Base damage as possible.

    5 Thunder, 4 Blizzard and 1 Wind merits

    Test Subject: Aht Urghan Attercop

    Burst2 1291
    Freeze2 1274
    Tornado2 1223

    Same hits except a few resists here and there. Tested on 20 mobs. (yea I know it's not much)

    Burst2 is upgraded but obviously it doesn't matter on non-MBs.

    edit: did a couple more tests, added in HQ staves.

    Burst2 1448
    Freeze2 1448
    Tornado2 1509 (windsday) 1373 was without day bonus damage.

  17. #17
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,852
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Those tests seem fine and make perfect sence, I dont think there is any more need to go over the aspect of which spell is stronger, theyre all pretty close, cept for a few points. It holds up to what was said earllier about spells being learned at the same level, in that they will do the sameish dmg as long as there is no bonus.

    So there is no dmg difference from lvl1 burst and lvl2 burst on regular nukes? Kinda surprizing. What needs to be done now is the diffrence in MBs, but unless you tests lvl1 burst on MBs already, I dont think itll be possible for you to properly test since youre on lvl2. Find someone with similiar gear setup with burst lvl1 only :/

    Try to find a 2 melee to make light and see what kind of dmg burst does. Id like to see the damage on that.

  18. #18
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,022
    BG Level
    9

    Could you test Tornado 2 -> Freeze 2?

  19. #19
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,586
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    I'll prolly be upgrading Tornado2 soon, so I will try to test it out. I did get in a a few MB with Burst but tbh I don't remember the damage.

    Freeze 2 did no additional damage after Tornado 2. I would have to assume using Tornado 2 first just lessens the resist rate.

  20. #20
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,598
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I don't think I want to put any 2nd upgrades into any tier2 ancient because they are only giving you 6 upgrades and each extra upgrade is 1 less new spell you can get. (unless they expand the points you can spend someday)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. BLM Merit Gear
    By Staren in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2009-02-02, 10:00
  2. Corsair Merits: Group 1,2, and otherwise
    By Auspice in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2007-12-03, 14:16
  3. BLM Merits
    By Shalafi in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 2007-07-07, 22:32
  4. BLM Merit Group 2.
    By SephYuyX in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 2007-04-06, 19:35
  5. SMN Group 2 Merits???
    By Halcyon in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2007-04-06, 12:39
  6. BLM / RDM magic merit advice
    By Alastaire in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2007-02-09, 09:58
  7. RDM Group 1 merits
    By Metah in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 2007-01-27, 22:08
  8. Group 1 THF merit decisions
    By ach in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2006-12-25, 20:37
  9. BLM Specific Merits
    By Shinigami in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2005-05-25, 18:13