Thread: Favorite RPG Compilation.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Favorite RPG Compilation.

Making this thread here to get opinions on people's favorite RPG's, even non-FF (but not to include any MMO's).

I'd first compile people's lists as top 5 FF, top 5 non-FF, then top 10 of all.

NON-FF
    1: Xenogears
    2: Xenosaga 3
    3: Chrono Trigger
    4: Chrono Cross
    5: Suikoden 2

FF
    1: FF6
    2: FF4
    3: FF12
    4: FF7
    5: FF10

All
    1: Xenogears
    2: FF6
    3: Xenosaga 3
    4: FF4
    5: Chrono Trigger
    6: FF12
    7: Chrono Cross
    8: Suikoden 2
    9: FF7
    10: FF10

Few notes on some of my selections, Xenogears was just pure awesome and original. I loved the depth, music, and story as Xenosaga 3 unfolded, really outdid the 1st 2, especially the gameplay, the story compendium is massive and leads to many hours of reading up on its history of its many many characters and events.

Trigger was just plain fun and good, especially for its time, Cross was very indepth, and I liked alot of its music as well. Suikoden 2 was a hard choice among many others for 5th place, but this game was just very balanced and fun.

FF6 story and characters still by far the best, and best villain Kefka still should be the best in most people's books. Also some very great songs. FF4 just slightly under 6, but lots of fun and great story as well. FF12 not to spoil it for many, but it definately shouldn't let anyone down, pure awesome from SE. FF7 although not the best, it was still very fun, and its story was pretty indepth if you really get into it. FF10 was very unique, with the sphere grid system being lots of win, and the story was pretty darn good.

These are just my opinions, and I'm sure many may be similar or far off, but let it be here where many can post their fave's and reason why.

Banned.

BG Level

Whats the point of listing the games in an order? Just enjoy them.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I find that my taste in RPGs has changed, notably after playing an MMO for so long. Also, there are so many RPGs now than there used to be, it's hard to really order them and compare them all since they are from different generations, focus on different elements, etc.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Valkyire Profile is the one and only true best RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Valkyire Profile is the one and only true best RPG.
    As much as I loved VP, including the story which isn't often with me, it was just a little too vague. Great concept, but the whole time system was kinda sketchy I think, never been a fan of time oriented games myself (you know, you gotta do everything in the game in a certain amount of time or something similar). I also lost all desire to play if I fucked up and couldn't get the best ending.

Anyway, the best game I've ever played was a freeware RPG and online (not an MMO, had a community of maybe 30 people). I would pay money to play that game again. But anyway I guess that's out...

Alright this post is getting too long and since I can't make a decision, I'll go by play time:
    1. FFX (300+ hours on 2 combined saves)
    2. FFVII (220+ hours on 4 combined saves)
    3. Dragon Warrior Monsters (180+ hours on 1 save)
    4. FFIX (around 130 hours I think on 2 saves)
    5. FFVIII (I have a lot of saves, but only one that got past the second disc maybe of around 110 hours)

Some others to mention would be Pokemon Red and Blue, but I broke both cartridges screwin with that bug that duplicated items with the weird monster. Baldur's Gate 2, I've played through the game over 3 times but no clue on time.

Old Merits
    BG Level

d-d-d-d-derail:

I'm looking at reviews for Valk Profile 2 and it looks awesome, but I never played the origional. Do you need to play VP1 to get what's going on in VP2 or would reading a story synopsis be enough. Or is it FF-like independant.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No particular order really..

FFVI
    Xenogears
    Suikoden
    Star Ocean 2
    Breath of Fire III

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

#1 Suikoden2
    #2 Xenogears
    #3 Star Ocean1+2
    #4 Tales of Phantasia
    #5 Chrono Trigger

Suikoden 2 is my favorite game ever, period. The Suikoden series has gotten me very interested into History, which has become one of my favorite subjects in school now. I just love everything about this game, the characters, the story, everything. I must have played this game at least 15 times. This game is really "balanced" in a way, although it's not really balanced in the fact that gameplay falls behind a bit from the story. But the story is just so good that it makes up for it, kinda like FF5 being an awesome game because of the purely awesome gameplay that overshadows the weak story, or the gameplay of Disgaea(1+2) overshadowing their stories, but the other way around.

Xenogears for obvious reasons.

Star Ocean 1+2 are kinda in the same category as FF5 and Disgaea, but it actually has a story. (2 more than 1) The battle system is made of much<3 and pure win, which puts it near the top of my list.

Tales of Phantasia is also one of my favorite RPGs, I actually played the playstation version in full japanese, and beat the game in a reasonable amount of time. (I don't speak much Japanese. Not enough to understand 99% of what's being said, anyway. Also, I remember that my whole party except for Cless died to Dhaos' 1st form, and then I soloed his 2nd form with just Cless XD that was fun)

Chrono Trigger is #5 because I also enjoy the gameplay and story a lot.

Runner-ups that didn't make it include Disgaea(1+2), FFT, FF5, FF3(NES), and FF9. And probably some other stuff that I can't think of atm. I know I'll remember something obvious and hit my head for not remembering it. (I'm a sucker for the job system if you haven't noticed.)

Groovebox

Ultima Series, but basically Ultima VII, VII part 2, and VIII... my favorite RPGs of all time... I wouldn't waste my time with them today because they would not keep my interest, but it changed the way I looked at computer gaming when they came out. I was truly addicted to them.

Ultima VII's Key moment: casting the spell "Armageddon", which basically destroyed the planet.

Secret of Mana for the SNES. I still have wonderful memories of my brother and I playing this co-op masterpiece on the chilly christmas-break nights in the suburbs of Chicago.

Secret of Mana's Key Moment: When my bro picked up the second snes controller and moved it, and were like holy fuck... IT'S 2 PLAYER!! (we didn't have a strategy guide or anything for it, i think because we got it from a friend or something.)

Phantasy Star Series, especially 1 and 2. The best console games I've ever played, period.

Phantasy Star 1's key moment: finding Hapsby the robot in the pile of rotting trash.
    Phantasy Star 2's key moment: Putting so many hours into the game, and then crying when the battery backup RAM fucked up and deleted the games... I was young Playing it for the second time, and fighting mother brain at the end, /drool.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Anyone ever play Disgaea? Heard it's pretty good but impossible to find now.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet
    I had a ton of fun with the first. I put in close to 190 hours before I just stopped

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassiraa
    d-d-d-d-derail:

I'm looking at reviews for Valk Profile 2 and it looks awesome, but I never played the origional. Do you need to play VP1 to get what's going on in VP2 or would reading a story synopsis be enough. Or is it FF-like independant.
    No, but one event in Valkyrie Profile is witnessed during Valkyrie Profile 2 [There is an event where you are tossed back in time in VP1.] Also during the true path of the game... you are hinted at... events that take place during Valkyrie Profile 2... mainly ones dealing around Ahly[Hrist], Aluze [Arngrime?] and Brahms. I don't own an English copy of the game currently... but if I remember the names in brackets are their english names.

Valkyrie Profile 2... is fucking amazing... that is it... if you love RPG's go out and buy it NOW. The battle system is fucking insane the story is incredible.

On a side note, I think the reason I really enjoyed Valkyire Profile was I loved the scenes leading to the deaths of people... they made the game. Certain characters were heartwrenching..... Espcially the half-mermaid half-human characters...

My issue with Disgaia is its a whole lot of nothing. I need plot... no plot = boring ass game... HI GUYZ LETS GO INTO A HUNDRED FLOOR DUNGEON IN MY SWORD LOL TO MAKE IT MORZ POWERFUL!! 111ZZ111

I guess... I will toss in another list of games I find to be worth playing in no order.... not including anything Final Fantasy related.

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinestrals [snes]
    Star Ocean: The Second Story [ps1]
    Xenosaga 3 [ps2]
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne [ps2] (Bonus: has a hard mode which is absurd)
    Romancing Saga [ps2] (Not for everyone)
    Langrisser [various systems] (Never released in US... Langrisser 2 has been translated for the gen)
    Growlanser [various systems] (2-3 released by Working Designs in US for PS2)
    Grandia [Dreamcast, PS1] (best battle system ever)
    Grandia II [Dreamcast, PS2] (refined best battle system ever)
    Grandia III [PS2] (best battle system ever +2)

I am terribly disappointed in all of you...

My heart broke as I scrolled through this thread.

ZELDA PEOPLE! Noone mentioned a single ZELDA game. GOD!

Favorites, general:

o Chrono Cross -- This game will forever be a legend among console RPGs.
    o Chrono Trigger -- Not as good as CC in my opinion, but an excellent play.
    o Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    o Grandia III -- As mentioned earlier, wonderful battle system. I loved this game.
    o Grandia II -- Just a 100% excellent game. One of the few decent games I played during Dreamcast's short lifespan.
    o The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past -- I don't have to say anything here.

If I could remember even half of the RPGs that I've played in my lifetime, this list would be far more extensive. These are just the first ones that come to mind when I think of excellent RPGs throughout history. If I sporadically remember any more, I'll post them up.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Zelda is an awesome game but I always considered it more adventure than RPG. Unless you're talking Zelda II.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

FF9

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All Games
    1. Final Fantasy 7 (Everything came together here…music, artwork, storyline, and player personalities. Cid, Barrett, and Aeris especially had memorable character personalities. The end of disc1 was by far the most well done dramatic scene in RPG history.)
    2. Ultima 7 (This was way ahead of its time graphically and interactively; It was the hardest game ever to get to run due to the conventional memory requirements)
    3. Final Fantasy 6 (great soundtrack; possibly the most content of a FF game)
    4. Doom I/II (same engine…counting as the same game; The first FPS IMO to hit the mainstream to the level it did)
    5. Command and Conquer (Dune2 was a great RTS game, but Westwood made everything better in C&C; great soundtrack; videos that were ahead of their time)
    6. Phantasy Star 3 (I loved the replay value with having slightly different storylines for each person you picked to marry…I liked the Layan genetics better since they got heals)
    7. Ultima 6 (This was almost as good as 7, but a bit less interactive, and a lot harder with having to guess keywords to type in the chat box to continue your main quest line)
    8. Zelda 1 (It’s amazing that I was so young that I didn’t know how to read when this game came out…luckily I didn’t need to with the limited text)
    9. Mario3 (This Mario was a gigantic step up from 1 and 2.)
    10. Warcraft 3 (Warcraft2 took a back seat to Command and Conquer when it was out. Warcraft 3 however did not and was a vast improvement over WC2)
    Honorable Mention: Mario64, Metroid, GTA Vice City, Chrono Cross, Descent, Sim City, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Xenogears, Vagarant Story, Zelda64, Sonic, Duck Hunt

Non FF
    1. Ultima 7
    2. Doom I/II
    3. Command and Conquer
    4. Phantasy Star 3
    5. Ultima 6

FF
    1. FF7 (best ever)
    2. FF6 (This was a close 2nd to 7)
    3. FF10 (I liked how things came out overall. I was disappointed about he lack of a world map though.)
    4. FF9 (I liked how they brought back the “fantasy” in Final Fantasy here. It was a pleasant surprise over 8 with a few good sounds)
    5. FF8 (distant 5th; This was the biggest letdown of a game ever for me. The content was very thin and playtimes were greatly inflated by unskippable summons. The music and artwork were both letdowns. The final battle was more like, “Use Lionheart god damnit!”)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Go to http://www.atlus.com and for a limited time, you can order Disgaea 1 on PS2 for about 50-60 bucks. They're not gonna be printing the game for much longer, so take advantage of this while you still can.

Needs more Might and Magic VI and Pokemon.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Pokemon was some goos hit. I remember playing(and still have) all of em up to crystal version. Also the FF series. Might and magic I never got into for some reason. A good RPG game was dungeon seiege and Summoner :D

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Lufia 1 and 2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast