+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rant.     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #1
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,859
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Rant.

    Im not a huge FF console fan my any means, I enjoied tactics, 3, 6 and 8, but aside from that, its meh.

    I was never anticipating FFXII, but decided to pick it because im a fan of RPGs, and it was a bonus to hear that there is an actual story in this one, and not some crappy romance.

    My gripes, however, make this game almost unplayable for me.

    1) Wtf is up with the characters? They all have dark shadows? the main character for instance, it looks like hes dead, whats up with the dark marks on his face and chest? They look like bones or something.

    2) Battle system, I HATE IT. The Licenses I have no beef with, but with the actual fighting, horrid. for starters, the gambit system is utter shit, aside from being crappy, with dumb AI, it makes the game way to easy.. all I have to do is sit there, wtf?

    Also FFXII is like a bad mix of a hack and slash game with an attack command and no button bashing. You select attack, and it just goes by itself.. if I wanted to play a hack and slash game, id play GU more (which im enjoying more than FFXII) Seriously, I miss the seperate battle where you would have to hit attack or spell each time for every character, the way its set up in this game just sucks, its like on auto mode the whole time. Yes, I know I can turn it off, but its more a chore then, then being fun, I just dont think an FF game should not have a pull away battle sequence.


    Anyway.. this is just my opinion.. is there anything you dont like about this game?

    I will beat this game, just for story line purposes, because FFXII really does have a great story, but aside from that, I dont think it really has anything going for it.

  2. #2

    Only thing I don't like about the game is that there is no auto-run option like in FFXI.... I guess I just got spoiled/lazy, but I can get over it lol. Other than that I love the game. Just my opinion tho.

  3. #3

    I think this game is very good so far. I am lvl 22 and about to enter KRT. To me its the best one since FF7 with FF4 being my #1 FF.

    The only thing about the character models that bothers me is their rather lame clothing/armor. It seems that they are going to wear that same crap the entire game but I can deal with it.

    As for the battle system, I think that they did a pretty good job with it. If I want to make every move myself I can and if I want to just zerg things without thinking I can do that too. You have to remember this isnt FF4 or FF7 or any other FF. This one seems to be much more complicated to me with all the different things you can have each character do in battle. I like the way it makes you think on your toes in some battles and how someone said in another thread, it makes you change you tactics mid battle if the one you went in doing is not working.

    I.E. Rocktoise. I tried to gangbust him last night and got AoE spam and had to run around for a bit to recover and then realized to just stay away from him and eventually won.

    But if your not a big fan of the FF series I dont know if you would be a big fan of this game it seems they brough back alot of the classic stuff I think. Also I have read that there are some major let downs in the story later on so if you are playing for the story suck it up when that sucks too.

  4. #4
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,859
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by RakEx
    But if your not a big fan of the FF series I dont know if you would be a big fan of this game it seems they brough back alot of the classic stuff I think. Also I have read that there are some major let downs in the story later on so if you are playing for the story suck it up when that sucks too.
    Im not all 'OMFG A NEW FF ADGAKJH!! YES!!!' But I have played all the FFs and know them well, the first game I ever played and beat was FF1 when I was 6. Though I do just look at the series as another RPG, I dont hold this series above one thing or another.

    Ew about the story, I hope its not as bad as youve said in the end. Though I will still finish, I finish all the games I play, yes, even the crappy ones, saiyuki journey west anyone? roflrofl.

  5. #5
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    604
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    actually.. the battles are not that much different than other ff's.. its just that the system has changed

    normal mobs / easy stuff
    previous FF: keep bashing attack until mobs die
    FF12: run up and let characters melee till mob dies

    bosses/hard mobs
    previous FF: plan out a strat using variety of spells and abilities to take down the mob, one turn at a time
    FF12: plan out a strat using a variety of spells and abilities all in real time, (or one turn at a time if you like wait mode)

    its not really that big of a difference imo.. its just that transitions from one fight to another are much faster in FF12

    thats how i see things tbh

  6. #6
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,859
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by safer
    its not really that big of a difference imo.. its just that transitions from one fight to another are much faster in FF12
    That reminds me, theres a zone about every 50 steps, lol its really annoying. Also save/load is really really slow.

    Oh, and I just remembered, rofl, whats with almost everyone in the starting town have a name that starts with 'ram' and then with random letters behind it. Its like the town is full of RMT.

  7. #7

    I really like this game, it's fun, has a great story, and except for asche i really like the characters.

    The battle system i think is good, it is totally your choice how you want to play it. If you don't like it then you should put it on a different setting, don't use so many gambits, or dont' use to few. Try to find a good medium. I generally set my healer on gambits and my DD and play my tank as myself. Or only have certain things on gambits like pheonix downs or cure's at 20-30% just for emergencies.

    I will admit that the game is sorta easy so far, but that's only because there is so much freedom to move around into more difficult area's anytime you want to do hunts or find rare NM's or weapons that you can level up much more rapidly than the story line, but that's not a bad thing, it's a personal choice.

    my only real gripe with the game, is that status effects last for like 60 seconds, in a decent battle i'd have to spend 80% of the time just recasting things like haste, protect, shell, bubble (only have 1 belt), decoy and things like that since they don't last, mix that in with having to curaga,-a,-aja and what not and it leaves little time for the actual battle. It would be nice if protect and shell at least lasted maybe 10 minutes, as it stands i don't even use them since it takes so much time away from actually fighting.

  8. #8
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    604
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    well if you actually read their names... its says "Rabanastran" as in a citizen of Rabanastre.. same for some NPC's in other cities... some have their own names and have little stories behind them... i dont really think thats a problem though..

  9. #9

    I think the fights in this are more challenging. In most recent ff games its just been, omglimitbreak for 10000000 damage or Summon ungodly powerful monster to cast insta-rape on mob. Quickenings don't seem to be overpowered at all, and hell i haven't found the summons to be all that useful though at this time i only have 3. I like the fact that the story isn't revolved around a romantic theme, more of the world governments. The side quests in the game seem more time consuming than the actual story, which i like since they are optional and it keeps you playing after beating it.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldone
    I think the fights in this are more challenging. In most recent ff games its just been, omglimitbreak for 10000000 damage or Summon ungodly powerful monster to cast insta-rape on mob. Quickenings don't seem to be overpowered at all, and hell i haven't found the summons to be all that useful though at this time i only have 3. I like the fact that the story isn't revolved around a romantic theme, more of the world governments. The side quests in the game seem more time consuming than the actual story, which i like since they are optional and it keeps you playing after beating it.
    I'm hoping they might become more useful, i mean you can only have one out at a time, so their total damage output isn't nearly as much as having all 3 main players attacking, and they have crap for hitpoints and die usually before doing their special attack. I have belius, achamadewhatever, the ice one, and the one from barheim. none of them are spectacular enough to warrant spending mp on.

  11. #11

    Re: Rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Im not a huge FF console fan my any means, I enjoied tactics, 3, 6 and 8, but aside from that, its meh.
    Wow, you didnt like FFVII? <.<

  12. #12

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,692
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    You probably dont like it because there aren't any Mithras to steal your Kraken Club.

  13. #13
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,859
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Re: Rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Im not a huge FF console fan my any means, I enjoied tactics, 3, 6 and 8, but aside from that, its meh.
    Wow, you didnt like FFVII? <.<
    lol, surprize, my name isnt based off of the dude.

  14. #14

    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Oh, and I just remembered, rofl, whats with almost everyone in the starting town have a name that starts with 'ram' and then with random letters behind it. Its like the town is full of RMT.
    Wow...your attention span doesn't allow you to read a full name yet you want a harder fighting system? OK.

  15. #15
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,859
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by PussPuss
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Oh, and I just remembered, rofl, whats with almost everyone in the starting town have a name that starts with 'ram' and then with random letters behind it. Its like the town is full of RMT.
    Wow...your attention span doesn't allow you to read a full name yet you want a harder fighting system? OK.
    5+3=1

  16. #16
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    177
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Bxbaby
    Only thing I don't like about the game is that there is no auto-run option like in FFXI.... I guess I just got spoiled/lazy, but I can get over it lol. Other than that I love the game. Just my opinion tho.
    took the words outta my mouth.

  17. #17
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    612
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by safer
    bosses/hard mobs
    previous FF: plan out a strat using variety of spells and abilities to take down the mob, one turn at a time
    FF12: plan out a strat using a variety of spells and abilities all in real time, (or one turn at a time if you like wait mode)
    This is where my biggest beef comes in. They turned the table in terms of strat going from "Ready, now what? > Attack ... Wait ... Wait ... " Repeat to "Readies to attack ... Readies to Attack ... Attack" Repeat. The difference being that when you're "Ready" you can choose whatever move you want and you do it. If you're at 90% on the "Readying" bar in FFXII and choose to Cure or do something else, your bar resets. As a result I find myself waiting to finish an attack then curing, which means starting and canceling an action to let time start again until I attack and the bar resets.

    In FFXI Spells and JA's pause the delay then resume after you're done.

  18. #18
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,227
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Oh, and I just remembered, rofl, whats with almost everyone in the starting town have a name that starts with 'ram' and then with random letters behind it. Its like the town is full of RMT.
    Actually, what I was wondering, is why half the locations in the game start with "Nab" or "Nalb".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag