Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    E. Body
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,258
    BG Level
    7

    Thinking about coming back.

    Hey guys - lately I've been jonesing for FFXI for some stupid fucking reason I'm not even aware of, but that game has brought me back three times already. >_> Though I'm curious as to whether or not I should return; I was on Seraph (Ruke, Faranim, if you guys read this, it's Demlin) and quit as a 62 NIN/WAR with about 250k left and respectable gear (emp's pin, sniper and venerer combo, dodge earrings, all AF1 except hands, evasion set and DD set , though DD was far from complete). The time I quit before that I was a 72 THF/NIN, thief's knife, SH, some relic, decent stuff.

    My question is, is it worth it to return? Last I heard after the Christmas inflation, prices have plummeted, though it took a while, and SH is 2.7 mil right now, as opposed to the constant 7 mil beforehand, and 15 mil from Christmas sales. With the recent (and arguable) cracking down on gil sellers, think it's worth my time and money to give FFXI another go? I quit because of the time sinks essentially, but those were caused by the competition from gil selling teams. I guess this question is more server dependent, but there are a couple constants throughout servers.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    63
    BG Level
    2

    i've been titled a troll by some dyslexic kid here (and a moderator or two), so you can take this like a grain of salt or not. i'd say don't bother, the game has long been in the shitter and i don't see any improvements coming. the only reason many of us stick around is because we've grown addicted to seeing our cute animated dolls (and many others simply have nothing better to do), but i still wouldn't curse my worst enemy of having to start from scratch on this broken ass game.

    in short, don't.

  3. #3

    Not to be critical but at the moment I'd compare FFXI to a buffalo being taken down by a pack of wolves. They may not get it right away, but they keep tearing away at it's flesh, wounding and bleeding it until it just rolls over and dies.

    Overall server populations have dropped, RMT running rampant, more poor content updates then good, not to mention the time sink. I think you'd be better off steering clear.

  4. #4
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    63
    BG Level
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadesico
    Not to be critical but at the moment I'd compare FFXI to a buffalo being taken down by a pack of wolves. They may not get it right away, but they keep tearing away at it's flesh, wounding and bleeding it until it just rolls over and dies.

    Overall server populations have dropped, RMT running rampant, more poor content updates then good, not to mention the time sink. I think you'd be better off steering clear.
    dead on analogy, sadly..

  5. #5
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    635
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    if you're coming back to play.. dont..

    if youre coming back to reconcile with old friends, sure, why not.

  6. #6
    E. Body
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,258
    BG Level
    7

    edited so I'm not double posting: Yeah, mostly coming back to play. There are a couple friends I want to get back in touch with, but my goal is to experience the content as defined in this post.

    Fair enough. Largely I wanted to experience content I missed out on as well (much of Dynamis, namely Xarc and Beau, vast majority of HNMs, all of sky, mostly everything end-game, in addition to BCs such as Divine Might, ZM14, Bahamut v. 1 and 2, etc.) but I presume that would grow stale after a while. Maybe I'll put boot camp on my Mac and see what's up with PSU. Thanks for the feedback.

  7. #7

    I was pretty much thinking the same thouths as you. Really feel to play FFXi again..

    And about PSU, personally I'd say don't start yet. Like 6 missions out this far, and it gets REALLY boring fast. If you really want to try it out, wait a little while.

  8. #8

    HOnestly ffxi is shitty atm, wait to see if the task force takes off. If it fixes things I would think it would be worth returning but atm kinda shitty

  9. #9

    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.

  10. #10
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.
    You're a fucking idiot. Maybe you haven't noticed the hordes and hordes of toons with names created by smashing hand into keyboard, but they are there.

    You are right in that the game hasn't gotten worse
    The game has gotten boring.

  11. #11

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.
    You're a fucking idiot. Maybe you haven't noticed the hordes and hordes of toons with names created by smashing hand into keyboard, but they are there.

    You are right in that the game hasn't gotten worse
    The game has gotten boring.
    I have and they've been there for a long time. At least on unicorn I've seen gilsellers dissappear.

    And as for the game getting boring, well, thats obviously not his problem if he wants to come back.

  12. #12
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,162
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Better to get your friends to move on to another game IMO. Or you could hop on IRC and simulate the experience of the overcrowded FFXI endgame by having a message pop up every so often that RMT or another LS just claimed <insertNMhere>. Then you could all bitch about it, and log off.

    FFXI could be fixed, but SE seems to be in no hurry to do so. Until it is, it's hard to recommend someone start/start over.

  13. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.
    You're a fucking idiot. Maybe you haven't noticed the hordes and hordes of toons with names created by smashing hand into keyboard, but they are there.

    You are right in that the game hasn't gotten worse
    The game has gotten boring.
    Then quit?

  14. #14
    E. Body
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,258
    BG Level
    7

    Alright. Guess I'll save my money, then. I don't know what the fuck it is about the memories I have from this game, but for some ludicrous reason the prospect of leveling my 60-something alchemy skill and HQing beeswax seems like something I want to pursue, but when I think about what I just said it's clearly a dumb notion. What has SE created? =(

    Edit to Ozuka: Yeah, putting time into getting to 75 is what I'm not quite looking forward to, since it's essentially spending mind-numbing hours in Ule Range chaining raptors, then moving on to the next area, and every EXP party is just a tank and spank routine. I always found it ironic that the melee-burn or mana burning parties end-game and similar to the loose party compositions of the early teens.

  15. #15
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    188
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Saga
    Largely I wanted to experience content I missed out on as well (much of Dynamis, namely Xarc and Beau, vast majority of HNMs, all of sky, mostly everything end-game, in addition to BCs such as Divine Might, ZM14, Bahamut v. 1 and 2, etc.)
    Dynamis is probably the only thing you can really count on being able to do once you reach 75. HNM are all highly contested. Sky is essentially closed and reserved for gilsellers only.

    Mostly it just depends on your own motivation and desire. If you want to build your own XP groups, you can reach 75 fairly rapidly as almost any job. If you want to flag up and pray for an invite, you're restricted to RDM and BRD pretty much. Until you're 75, all those things you listed are unavailable. You can conceivably do some of them a little lower, but no one wants an under-75 at those events.

    Level 75 is 160~200 hours of XP'ing if you can average 4-5k/h. Despite the folks tossing 10-20k/h numbers around here, if you include your total online time (not just time actually earning XP), I think you'll find a 4-5k/h average to be quite challenging in the pre-burn levels.

  16. #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.
    You're a fucking idiot. Maybe you haven't noticed the hordes and hordes of toons with names created by smashing hand into keyboard, but they are there.

    You are right in that the game hasn't gotten worse
    The game has gotten boring.
    Then quit?
    Obviously not boring enough to stop leveling his 6th 75.

  17. #17
    Like a boss yo
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,913
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    There ARE less gilsellers, and the game hasn't gotten worse.
    You're a fucking idiot. Maybe you haven't noticed the hordes and hordes of toons with names created by smashing hand into keyboard, but they are there.

    You are right in that the game hasn't gotten worse
    The game has gotten boring.
    Sup flux?

    Its up to you man If you wanna come back. If you got friends on your server, why not come back, Friends always make you stay (atleast for me) :D

  18. #18
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    63
    BG Level
    2

    you leave out that he'd be basically paying for the game and a monthly fee (remind me why we're even paying for this shit again?) to talk to some friends. you can do that for free on aim.

  19. #19

    Quote Originally Posted by Okuza
    Quote Originally Posted by Saga
    Largely I wanted to experience content I missed out on as well (much of Dynamis, namely Xarc and Beau, vast majority of HNMs, all of sky, mostly everything end-game, in addition to BCs such as Divine Might, ZM14, Bahamut v. 1 and 2, etc.)
    Dynamis is probably the only thing you can really count on being able to do once you reach 75. HNM are all highly contested. Sky is essentially closed and reserved for gilsellers only.
    Only dynamis?
    Assault
    ENM->Ouryu->Baha2
    Limbus
    Sea
    Apoc Nigh
    ISNM
    Ashu Talif Assaultish things
    Choco Raising (lol)
    Challenging fights like Vrtra, Jorgy, and Hydra
    Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by anhero
    you leave out that he'd be basically paying for the game and a monthly fee (remind me why we're even paying for this shit again?) to talk to some friends. you can do that for free on aim.
    Ok you run a MMO for profit with 5 updates a year and make it free. Good luck.

  20. #20
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    63
    BG Level
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Quote Originally Posted by Okuza
    Quote Originally Posted by Saga
    Largely I wanted to experience content I missed out on as well (much of Dynamis, namely Xarc and Beau, vast majority of HNMs, all of sky, mostly everything end-game, in addition to BCs such as Divine Might, ZM14, Bahamut v. 1 and 2, etc.)
    Dynamis is probably the only thing you can really count on being able to do once you reach 75. HNM are all highly contested. Sky is essentially closed and reserved for gilsellers only.
    Only dynamis?
    Assault
    ENM->Ouryu->Baha2
    Limbus
    Sea
    Apoc Nigh
    ISNM
    Ashu Talif Assaultish things
    Choco Raising (lol)
    Challenging fights like Vrtra, Jorgy, and Hydra
    Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by anhero
    you leave out that he'd be basically paying for the game and a monthly fee (remind me why we're even paying for this shit again?) to talk to some friends. you can do that for free on aim.
    Ok you run a MMO for profit with 5 updates a year and make it free. Good luck.
    hah, it was more of a suggestion that the service is so poor that we shouldn't be paying for it. (on a customer service level, that is)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about coming back
    By Asuza in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011-02-09, 09:34
  2. Should I come back?
    By Mortibody in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2005-06-13, 07:45
  3. Need what you think about..
    By Luminou in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2005-01-12, 14:40