+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

upgrading fishing areas problem

So I got to the third fishing area. It is my understanding that in order to move on to the 4th and 5th I need to land a certain catch here. However, that catch does not appear until I get the new fishing rod by taking the colored bottles to specific places.

Here is my problem.......I've caught nearly 200 bottles without any of them appearing special. Are the colored bottles really that rare? Or is there perhaps some side quest I have to do before they appear? Also, once I get one of a certain color will that one drop again? If they really are a 1/200 drop and I keep getting the same one over and over I can't promise the safety of my ps2 controller.......

So is there something I'm overlooking or do the colored bottles really have a drop rate that low?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

You need to finish the gilgamesh fight before the colored bottles appear. The guy doing the fishing will go "hey, this bottle has a note in it. Could it be a treasure map? lawl"

I got them the first 5 times I fished, in the downstream area obviously. And no, you can't get the same bottle more than once, they're key items.

Also, it's not a specific catch per se. You just get perfects enough times in upstream, and when he lets you know what the shiny thing was the last time, it'll be the key item for the fourth area.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

how the hell do u unlock fishing -.-

Relic Horn
    BG Level

short version: http://www.gamefaqs.com

long version: after the barheim key quest, talk to the guy standing on the empty pier to the left of the boat guy in south bank village. Then go to balfonheim and talk to the guy fishing in the screen with the aerodrome entrance, and ask him about his rod. Walk away, towards the aerodrome but don't enter it, then walk back and the rod should be leaning against the wall for you to take. Go back and give the rod to the guy in southbank village and you can start fishing.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Edit: Charla Beat me to it ; ;

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag