Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Difference between weapons?

Anyone has a list of the differences betweens weapons type? Some are obvious, but I'm not sure what's the effect for certain type. Also, what armor type should be used (does it matters if you pick a heavy/light armor when no stats are changed)

Sword:
    Great Sword:
    Katana:
    Axe and hammer:
    Ninja sword:
    Hand to hand:
    Spear:
    Maces:
    Rods:
    Staff:
    Pole:
    Bow:
    Crossbow:
    Gun:
    Measure:

Last question, how many "special" animation is there for every characters when victory fanfare is played after a boss fight. Fran only have bow? Vaan sword?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The gamefaqs guide labelled "power walkthrough" has a very good breakdown of the damage formulas for each weapon, and a ranking of their attack speed and relative multi-attack rates.

As for the victory poses, it depends on what you mean by special. Fran with a sword also sticks it in the ground behind her sometimes. I've mostly played with bows, swords, Gswords and katanas so far, but I suspect that each character can do something with any weapon, just not every time.

When I beat that fire-like horse in the beginning of the game, Vaan was equipped with a rod. Instead of holding rod, he had a ball the size of his palm =3

Fanfare poses are random, Fran is almost always present with either a bow, sword and sheild or katana, several times she just stood there, with no weapon, sometimes she holds the bow, and has an arrow in her mouth, other times she throws the sword into the ground and walks forward.
    Vaan and Balthier both throw the sword into the ground, balthier steps on it, takes out a napkin and wipes his shoe.
    Balthier does some fancy shit with his katana then puts it behind his back.

Thats all i can remember off the top of my head

According to the BradyGames Guide, for each weapon the damage is based on:

Swords: character's strength, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Daggers: character's strength, character's speed, enemy's defense
    Axes/Hammers: character's strength, character's vitality, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Maces: character's magick power, enemy's defense
    Measures: weapon's attack, ignores defense
    Greatswords: character's strength, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Katana: character's strength, character's magick power, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Ninja Swords: character's strength, character's speed, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Spears: character's strength, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Poles: character's strength, weapon's attack, enemy's magic defense
    Rods: character's strength, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Staves: character's strength, character's magic power, weapon's attack, enemy's defense
    Bows: character's strength, character's speed, weapon's attack, arrow's attack, enemy's defense
    Crossbows: character's strength, weapon's attack, bolt's attack, enemy's defense
    Guns: weapon's attack, bullet's attack, ignores defense
    Hand-Bombs: character's strength, character's vitality, weapon's attack, enemy's defense

It doesn't make reference to weapon attack power (on daggers) or ammo (on hand-bombs) affecting damage, but I would assume it does.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

And healing rod and rod of faith use the gun/measure equation instead of the rod one, meaning they ignore character str and target def.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

As for the victory poses, it depends on what you mean by special. Fran with a sword also sticks it in the ground behind her sometimes. I've mostly played with bows, swords, Gswords and katanas so far, but I suspect that each character can do something with any weapon, just not every time.
    What I mean is that I never got a weapon specific victory poses for certain type. Like rod and staff with Vaan always give me the victory pose without weapon, instead of a fancy animation specific for that weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Halleberry
    Fanfare poses are random, Fran is almost always present with either a bow, sword and sheild or katana, several times she just stood there, with no weapon, sometimes she holds the bow, and has an arrow in her mouth, other times she throws the sword into the ground and walks forward.
    Vaan and Balthier both throw the sword into the ground, balthier steps on it, takes out a napkin and wipes his shoe.
    Balthier does some fancy shit with his katana then puts it behind his back.

Thats all i can remember off the top of my head
    I'm trying to get one for Vaan with a club and havent seen one in 5-6 fight. Same with spear for Fran. That's why I was asking. It's true you wont get it 100% of the time, but there is some weapon that dont seem to have any.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Well that makes sense too. Maybe they only made poses for the good weapon types and the ones that make sense for the character to be using.

Vaan with a Great Sword thrusts it into the ground, jumps on top of it and Crouches. Like a Gargoyle on olden Buildings.

So what is everyone "supposed" to be using? I have Vaan: Sword, Balthier: Katana, Basch: Hammer, Fran: Bow, Ashe: Rod, Penelo: Sword.

I think the guide said something somewhere about seeing them "pose with their favorite weapons"...though as far as I know that could simply mean whatever weapons you happen to have them using.

I haven't noticed a pattern, but I haven't really been looking for one.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    So what is everyone "supposed" to be using? I have Vaan: Sword, Balthier: Katana, Basch: Hammer, Fran: Bow, Ashe: Rod, Penelo: Sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpoemer
    as long as that character has the license for that weapon, they can use any type of weapon. Some characters have increased proficiency with some weapons of course though:

Vaan: increased crit rate with daggers and increased combo rate with Katanas
    Basch: increased crit rate with polearms
    Balthier: increased crit rate with guns
    Fran: increased crit rate with bows
    Ashe: increased combo rate with Great Katanas
    Penelo: increased crit rate with staves/rods

in 153 hours of running around killing shit I probably saw 3 critical hits.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm pretty sure I've only seen criticals on ranged weapons. Only tried bows and guns though.

That's weird, I see criticals pretty often lol.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Are my weapons broken? ; ;

I had one critical at the very beginning of the game, I think I had one in the sandsea, and if I really did have another, I can't remember where it occurred. However I am fairly sure I only received 4-5 crits the whole time so it's balanced at least. lol

you should see criticals with ranged weapons about as often as you see multi-hits with melee ones. remember you can't multi hit with ranged, and can't crit with melee

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn
    you should see criticals with ranged weapons about as often as you see multi-hits with melee ones. remember you can't multi hit with ranged, and can't crit with melee
    Oh ok, that's what it is then. That makes sense.

The crit I performed in the beginning of the game was Vaan with a dagger or a sword.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag