+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Mel Gibson's (lol) Apocalypto

so uh... anyone think this looks good/bad/amazing/shitty?

I'm not sure what to think. Judging by the trailer there won't be any English in the movie, which of course makes sense, but what about subtitles? I've seen the trailer in front of 2-3 movies now, and I'm not really impressed. Looks kinda meh to me, but I thought some others might have some things to say about it.

It seems like the kind of movie that will be funny for all the wrong reasons, especially because its made by a crazy person. I expect it to be hilarious.

Groovebox

It looks pretty cool, I'm a fan of Mayan civilization so I'll dig it. Mel is crazy though.

Mayan civilization if you ever study it is realllly fascinating.

SO, it COULD be a good movie.... but Mel gibson is the director. We'll just have to see. But I'll definately be seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberion02
    Mayan civilization if you ever study it is realllly fascinating.

SO, it COULD be a good movie.... but Mel gibson is the director. We'll just have to see. But I'll definately be seeing it.
    Mayan civilization is EXTEMELY interesting, i completely agree. but mel gibson behind such an intrugiging race/time period? i am highly skeptical. it will be interesting to see indeed, but my money is on the fact it will be highly shitty.

with a civilization like the mayans (or aztecs, incas, etc..) the director would need to be from the cultures to make the movie authentic. mel gibson could quite possibly be the farthest from this.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I feel so weird because I like mel lol. I want to check it out :3

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Mel Gibson directed Braveheart and has been the producer of a number of his decent/good movies. He's a great actor and very good director, crazy or not. I don't care what you think about the content of Passion, it was a really well made movie.

I think there is a very high chance of the movie being really good. It not being in english (and not being made for Christians) will probably keep it from being any huge box office hit, but I expect the movie to be very good.

And to derail this: I love how there are countless Hollywood names who have committed suicide, done heavy drugs since age 13, killed themselves from massive drug overdoses, but one guy who gets drunk and says stupid shit is 'crazy' and 'bad' when some people don't even say bad stuff about the people who are guilty of the previously mentioned acts.

Banned.

BG Level

I agree on this, since when was Mel Gibson considered a bad film director?

I think the whole "Let's care what the Hollywood celebrity does on his/her free time" is absolutely retarded, and I despise E! TV. If the person can act/direct, cool with me. With the way things are now, stupid attention whores get so much attention while a lot of actually talented get no fame. This isn't the situation with Mel Gibson, but I'm just saying that real life and Hollywood should be pretty much separated.

Mel is nuts but I still like his movies.

Tom is nuts but I still like his movies.

Still, this movie looks BORING. I dunno if I can handle 2.5 hours (or w/e the length is) of gibber jabber. Can't they give the Mayans some Scottish accents?

i saw the trailer tonight and it looked pretty gay. they tried to make it look exciting or scary and it didnt really work

not biased cuz of mel, but it looks crappy

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dietvanillapepsi
    Can't they give the Mayans some Scottish accents?
    Now that, I'd pay and stand in line to see.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    And to derail this: I love how there are countless Hollywood names who have committed suicide, done heavy drugs since age 13, killed themselves from massive drug overdoses, but one guy who gets drunk and says stupid shit is 'crazy' and 'bad' when some people don't even say bad stuff about the people who are guilty of the previously mentioned acts.
    QFT, why can't so many people understand this?

Lately I've noticed that Tom Cruise's wedding has been all over the news. Its ludicrous. People need to make up their minds - Seems like everybody hates Cruise, refuses to see MI:3 because they hate him, etc, etc, yet his wedding is like the most popular celebrity event going on right now. Hypocrites.

Personally I don't care either way. Don't care about Cruise, or his wedding, or MI3 simply because I don't like those types of movies.

I'll probably go see Apocolypto, I think it looks interesting. Even if it sucks, it will be a change of pace from most of the other shitty movies you see in theaters lately.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Mayan civilization is pretty cool. When I was in Mexico my friend dragged me to this Mayan ruin place just outside of cancun. Little did we know that it was the solstace and aparently what happens is the sun hits this building (looks like an ordinary building, just a large rectangluar shapre with an arch over the doorway), but when the sun hits it at sunset the shape of a giant serpant appears going down the stairs.
    When I was watching this happen I kept trying to figure out how that shadow was being formed on the ground but I couldnt find a snake statue or anything that remotly resembled the shadow anywhere, it was really cool.

anyways Im probly going to see it, just not in theatres (<3 TNM on demand)

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    Mel Gibson directed Braveheart and has been the producer of a number of his decent/good movies. He's a great actor and very good director, crazy or not. I don't care what you think about the content of Passion, it was a really well made movie.

I think there is a very high chance of the movie being really good. It not being in english (and not being made for Christians) will probably keep it from being any huge box office hit, but I expect the movie to be very good.

Get out of my mind
    This movie looks great, loved the previews

with a civilization like the mayans (or aztecs, incas, etc..) the director would need to be from the cultures to make the movie authentic. mel gibson could quite possibly be the farthest from this.
    and uh...what the hell does a directors race have to do with his ability to make an entertaining movie? Just because someone is black does not mean they make the best movies about Africa.

Banned.

BG Level

Lately I've noticed that Tom Cruise's wedding has been all over the news. Its ludicrous. People need to make up their minds - Seems like everybody hates Cruise, refuses to see MI:3 because they hate him, etc, etc, yet his wedding is like the most popular celebrity event going on right now. Hypocrites.
    I think you are forgetting that there are people who are complete idiots and sheep and there are people who think they are super intelligent and talented and hate on other people/life-styles/ect just 'cause.

Poor Mel Gibson.

Everyone is racist to some extent, we all have racist thoughts, just most people are polite about it.

So what if he hates Jews, far worse things occur everyday.

The movie will do fine

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Everyone is racist to some extent, we all have racist thoughts, just most people are polite about it.
    LOL wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya
    LOL wut?
    shhh his post count is higher then yours.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-o-fire
    LOL wut?
    Hes no Lordwafik or Septimus, and even if he where either of them, they would never be as foolish as to say that without a truck load of sarcasm.

How can you generalize and say that everyone is a little racist? HAY LOOK A TERORIST BLEW HIMSELF UP, IMA HATE ALL MUSLIMS NOW. You gotta be pretty narrowminded to group an entire etnicity together because of the actions of some. What posible excuse would anyone have for being racist? Is it ok to be racist because some people are? Im going to save the rest of my rant, because im currently having a seizure trieng to figure out if you were serious or not.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-o-fire
    LOL wut?
    Hes no Lordwafik or Septimus, and even if he where either of them, they would never be as foolish as to say that without a truck load of sarcasm.

How can you generalize and say that everyone is a little racist? HAY LOOK A TERORIST BLEW HIMSELF UP, IMA HATE ALL MUSLIMS NOW. You gotta be pretty narrowminded to group an entire etnicity together because of the actions of some. What posible excuse would anyone have for being racist? Is it ok to be racist because some people are? Im going to save the rest of my rant, because im currently having a seizure trieng to figure out if you were serious or not.
    Think he meant as in all people buy into a few stereotypes now and then.
    And if you believe in some stereotypes no, you are not an idiot.