the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Video card toast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ury/radeon.jpg

So, do you think there's any hope? Or a new card is what the doctor ordered And yes, this isn't just FFXI, it's everything, big bands of magenta or green flickering on everything, just has the side effect of screwing with FFXI texture maps. Even in the dos prompt at bootup, there's flickering yellow boxes and junk. I am a saddest of all pandas.

netz

I had a Radeon 9500 Pro that exhibited similar behaviour to that from the start. I could wiggle it around in the AGP slot and the corruption would stop, but I ended up replacing it with a 9600 Pro because it was too frustrating to continue using a broken piece 'o crap.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Check the fan on your card to make sure it's working.

My roomate's ATI card was doing the same thing and it was caused by overheating. The fan was completely caked with dust and wasn't spinning anymore.

If it is the fan, the warranty covers that. (if you do have warranty).

what type is it?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's been so long since I've looked in this box or even talked about it, but I think it is a Radeon 9500 Pro... I jiggled the card and pushed it in (it felt like it moved significantly, like it was out of the slot slightly) and no go. This just happened out of nowhere after I updated POL today. Went away when I closed FFXI, then it came back 5 minutes later. Rebooted and it was cool, and now it's back and looks to be permanent unless I can somehow remedy it. I guess I need to do a little cleaning inside this PoS.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    It's been so long since I've looked in this box or even talked about it, but I think it is a Radeon 9500 Pro... I jiggled the card and pushed it in (it felt like it moved significantly, like it was out of the slot slightly) and no go. This just happened out of nowhere after I updated POL today. Went away when I closed FFXI, then it came back 5 minutes later. Rebooted and it was cool, and now it's back and looks to be permanent unless I can somehow remedy it. I guess I need to do a little cleaning inside this PoS.
    I hope you did this when it was turned off lol. If it was out of its slot, heat might of caused that. Is it screwed in first of all?

Open your case, plug in the power cable only and turn it on to see if the fan on your video card works. If it doesn't, there's your problem. It's not a driver problem since you didn't do anything to them, and it's not like it's the OS or the game either.

My roomate's pc would be ok for about 30min and then it would screw up, like you said. I really think it's the fan.

If you are with Dell or HP or any of those companies, call them and get another one.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I'm surprised nobody's made a reference to the color of the fucked up spots.

Wait... ope

This happened to me and I was never able to fix it, so I ended up getting a new graphics card.

I get progressively weirder looking graphics when playing space cowboy online while ffxi is running. It causes weird glitches until I reboot my machine, lol.

It is my motherboard though cause I swapped from a nvidia to a ati card just to see and the problem was the same.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2922/img0141iv0.png

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6995/img0144bn7.png

Re: Video card toast

big bands of magenta or green flickering on everything
    you sure it's not blue? Or it could be purple. HA!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Murataki
    I'm surprised nobody's made a reference to the color of the fucked up spots.
    Damn.. just read that.

In all seriousness, Christmas is just around the corner... I bet you've got a pretty good idea of what you want now huh?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Wow you're hilarious.

Anyways, no, I don't touch the inside of my tower without the power off. Yes, I have my card screwed in, I'm not a complete nub at this type of stuff.

I had the side of my box open while observing the fans with a flashlight and the whole thing shut down like it lost power, instantly came back on for 3 seconds and lost power again.... awesome.

While the power was off, I inspected a little closer, expecting to clean out a ton of dust, but apparently I did that when I moved a year or so ago. Anyhow, I found this little delight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...fury/toast.jpg

Isn't that the power to the ATI video card? It's been so long since I had this thing built I forgot what was in it and what wires were what. I used to be ok with this stuff, but apparently I lost my touch.

I'm assuming this is source of my troubles perhaps?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

That's definitely a burnt mark, try getting a RMA. Few months back I sent in my burnt 95 Pro and they gave me a 98 Pro back. Let me know if you get a better card so I can fry my 98 and hopefully get a better one.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just took a wooden stick and poked that burnt plug while observing the screen and it did affect the flicker of the bullshit on my screen depending on how hard I pressed... This sucks.

The good news is.. ffxi plays just fine on a $20 ATI Radeon (and sometimes even better than a newer card).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I just took a wooden stick and poked that burnt plug while observing the screen and it did affect the flicker of the bullshit on my screen depending on how hard I pressed... This sucks.
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/defa ... deptID=894

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

p.s. It's a Radeon 9800 Pro, 128mb, with the Cable TV, RCA, and S-Video in-ports.

Also, looking at photographs of other Radeon 9800s, I'm not seeing this power plug that toasted on mine... (nevermind, it's only on the All-In-Wonder, which is the one with the TV-in shit I guess) And, in actuality, not only does jiggling that toasted plug affect the magenta/green crap on my screen, so does putting pressure on the card itself in its slot... I'm beginning to think that toasted part isn't the issue. I took the entire card out, cleaned it up and cleaned all the contacts and it's still behaving the same.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Just return it, they'll give you another card, provided that it's still under warranty.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I see purple