+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracking WEP     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

Cracking WEP

So in a few weeks I'll be going back to boarding school where they don't offer personal internet in the dorm rooms. My roommate right now is the only person in the entire building that has internet but he's paying $60/month or some outrageous figure for one of those Verizon Wireless Broadband cards. So rather than spending a fortune to have my own internet I was hoping to use my Linksys wireless USB device that I use when I'm at home to grab a connection, however all of the nearby signals are secured by WEP or PSK. I was wondering if anyone had any links to guides on how I could break through the security and piggyback a connection.
    I've already spent a few hours doing my own research, but after downloading almost a dozen different programs I decided to concede and ask for some advice. Additionally, spare me your opinion on the ethics of pirating a connection; I'm just going to do some harmless piggybacking.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Cracking WEP

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen
    So in a few weeks I'll be going back to boarding school where they don't offer personal internet in the dorm rooms. My roommate right now is the only person in the entire building that has internet but he's paying $60/month or some outrageous figure for one of those Verizon Wireless Broadband cards. So rather than spending a fortune to have my own internet I was hoping to use my Linksys wireless USB device that I use when I'm at home to grab a connection, however all of the nearby signals are secured by WEP or PSK. I was wondering if anyone had any links to guides on how I could break through the security and piggyback a connection.
    I've already spent a few hours doing my own research, but after downloading almost a dozen different programs I decided to concede and ask for some advice. Additionally, spare me your opinion on the ethics of pirating a connection; I'm just going to do some harmless piggybacking.
    Hey guys, I'd like to steal a car for some joyriding. I found some guides on gamefaqs.com but I'd like to ask your advice. Oh and I don't want your opinions on some harmless joyriding. THXINADVANCE.

cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/bsd-airtools
    make install ; make clean

Use dstumbler to find the network..
    dwepdump to collect enough information
    dwepcrack to actually crack it

people are too lazy to write manpages for them, but there are some readmes that get put in /usr/local/share/doc/bsd-airtools/ that you can check out if you need help with the syntax.

This doesn't work if the wireless network isn't being used, it has to be somewhat active in order to break it..

Relic Horn
    BG Level

...Can't you just ask your roommate to let you use his? Maybe paying a share of it yourself?

And I thought I was antisocial...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    ...Can't you just ask your roommate to let you use his? Maybe paying a share of it yourself?

Seriously, why not just ask the roomate to share the cost heh..

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

also know you won't be able to hack it right away, in order to decrypt the pass for it the user has to be pretty heavy in usage etc.

It's not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso

There's no slot on my desktop computer that his card will go in. It was made for laptops I suppose.

But none the less, thanks for the help and advice.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso

There's no slot on my desktop computer that his card will go in. It was made for laptops I suppose.

But none the less, thanks for the help and advice.
    Or you could ask for the password.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag