Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 414
  1. #201
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I didn't say I wouldn't take your word for it, I just said its not unintuitive to believe MAB affects dark magic short of testing to prove otherwise. However, in light of such tests, then obviously people would know for sure which is the case.

    It's more about the principle, than saying you're wrong or that MAB really does affect dark magic.
    But that's like saying that you've concluded the world is flat because it doesn't look spherical from your vantage points on both the ground and the air.

    The problem with making all-encompassing statements like "MAB effects all magical attacks" is the simple fact that each spell, each ability, each weaponskill has its own independent function for calculating its effects. Like, saying MND effects all white magic spells, when we know it doesn't, look at Silence and Enspells. For INT for all black magic, look at the posts in those links I gave concerning Drain and Aspir. For weaponskills, look at Spirits Within. It deals non-elemental magic damage, MAB certainly isn't in its equation.

    When people realize that each spell and ability is its own entity that follows its own rules, maybe people will stop making baseless and retarded claims.

  2. #202
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    604
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    jus thought of this while posting on my ls's forums

    when i xp with my NPC fellow, i notice she takes a cut of my xp (used to keep her out while fighting bombs on smn, and i wouldnt get full xp when they blew up)... so i wonder if having an npc fellow out would qualify for getting the xp boost since its almost like a party of 2... coupled with the increased acc/eva versus EM and lower mobs... it could make leveling npc alot more easier / rewarding / fun

  3. #203
    Rag
    Rag is offline
    CoP Dynamis
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    268
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by vagus
    The Drk spells are interesting, but who cares about Drks?
    From Drks to you : http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...20Pics/emo.jpg

  4. #204
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by safer
    when i xp with my NPC fellow, i notice she takes a cut of my xp (used to keep her out while fighting bombs on smn, and i wouldnt get full xp when they blew up)... so i wonder if having an npc fellow out would qualify for getting the xp boost since its almost like a party of 2... coupled with the increased acc/eva versus EM and lower mobs... it could make leveling npc alot more easier / rewarding / fun
    I'm not sure, but I don't think you experience a decrease in EXP when someone else summons an NPC when they're in your party. Example: You and Joeblow are in a party, he summons NPC. You kill something that gives you 100 EXP, he gets 70.

    This means while while summoning NPCs will place a limit on how many party members you can have in your party, they do not count as actual party members, so you won't get the EXP bonus from Signet.

  5. #205
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    When people realize that each spell and ability is its own entity that follows its own rules, maybe people will stop making baseless and retarded claims.

    This game is a rubix cube of those. Everytime you think you've got it right some asshole with a calculator and a degree in graphic design shakes things up a bit with some algrebra 1/2.

  6. #206
    TSwiftie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,920
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    This thread is already like 10 pages, I skimmed through it, so sorry in advance if I missed anything. These are my thoughts as someone who plays endgame DRK a lot, and primarily in merits.

    Dread Spikes sounds promising. I'm thinking about it in terms of damage mitigation during merit parties. It could make /war a much more viable sub. (Which has a ton more offensive traits than /nin.) I think even in worst case scenario the spikes will absorb 10% of the damage taken... But I'm realli hoping it's going to be around 20-25% absorb... being able to take 25% damage during the few hits I take before the mob dies is a welcome change. On the recast side of this. I usualli merit in 19% haste from gear. 15% from Spell and 11% from March. So I'm looking at around 45% reduction in recast. 1:00 duration with a 1:40 recast time. Again it looks promising... But I wouldn't be suprised if the spikes are weak enough to be only marginalli useful in solo/farming :/. (Side note, aren't spike spells based on enhancing? I wonder if Dread Spikes will be based on Dark Magic skill?)

    As for Drain II... I don't see it as anything more than an extra Drain spell and a pre-cursor to SE Kraken. I have capped Dark Magic skill merits and pretti much the best dark magic skill+ eq in the game, and I still have trouble landing Drain on some endgame stuff. Gives DRKs a reason to merit Dark Seal though. Unless it's potency is substantialli greater, I'm not so crazy about this one for situations other than SE Kraken.

    As for MAB affecting drain... I'm fairly certian it doesn't. My BLM friend and I were playing on Mount Z /w pudding, and our drains were pretti much the same. If 4 Levels of Magic Attack Bonus, Moldavite, Novio, and weskit aren't making a visual difference, I'm not gonna worry about it.

    Overall I'm kinda excited about the update. It looks like a minor upgrade that would make DRK more useful in XP situations. I'm also kinda excited at the prospect of my Dark Magic Skill merits/setup being more useful. Although I'll still say I want that Scythe boost they promised :/.

  7. #207
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    67
    BG Level
    2
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    [quote=MF Perm]
    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":fd791
    Ok then I made a bad assumption that it effects ANY magic damage. But I knew it wasn't restricted to just Elemental.
    "Dummy" lol then a proper apology would be nice.
    Apologize for you still being wrong?[/quote:fd791]

    Nope its for the "Dummy" as we both were wrong. Unless we are both Dummies, then I guess I can deal with that.

  8. #208
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    [quote=laverna]
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Perm
    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":6bebb
    Ok then I made a bad assumption that it effects ANY magic damage. But I knew it wasn't restricted to just Elemental.
    "Dummy" lol then a proper apology would be nice.
    Apologize for you still being wrong?
    Nope its for the "Dummy" as we both were wrong. Unless we are both Dummies, then I guess I can deal with that.[/quote:6bebb]

    Since you have my admission of being wrong quoted I would think this last post by you wouldn't need to be made but ok.

  9. #209
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    The internet is serious business, and getting the last word in a forum argument awards you with cool points (CP).

  10. #210
    CoP Dynamis
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    252
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    Dread Spikes sounds promising. I'm thinking about it in terms of damage mitigation during merit parties. It could make /war a much more viable sub. (Which has a ton more offensive traits than /nin.) I think even in worst case scenario the spikes will absorb 10% of the damage taken... But I'm realli hoping it's going to be around 20-25% absorb... being able to take 25% damage during the few hits I take before the mob dies is a welcome change.
    I don't know if this is wishful thinking on your part or what, but other "spikes" don't work like that, so I don't assume Dread spikes would be a percentage. I would assume that a full-strength Dread Spikes will probably only drain a flat 9-15hp/proc. on anything that isn't undead. Also, I think it will be enhancing magic.



    EDIT - woops, yeah the text says it will be a percentage of damage taken, sleepy today sorry.

  11. #211
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,210
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    But that's like saying that you've concluded the world is flat because it doesn't look spherical from your vantage points on both the ground and the air.

    The problem with making all-encompassing statements like "MAB effects all magical attacks" is the simple fact that each spell, each ability, each weaponskill has its own independent function for calculating its effects. Like, saying MND effects all white magic spells, when we know it doesn't, look at Silence and Enspells. For INT for all black magic, look at the posts in those links I gave concerning Drain and Aspir. For weaponskills, look at Spirits Within. It deals non-elemental magic damage, MAB certainly isn't in its equation.

    When people realize that each spell and ability is its own entity that follows its own rules, maybe people will stop making baseless and retarded claims.
    No, its like saying its not unreasonable to believe the world may be flat based on what we can see about the world thus far, until something proves otherwise. And something did prove otherwise.

    In case you missed it in my original post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    So if it affects elemental WS, BLU magic, ninjutsu, and elemental nukes, there's no reason to believe it won't affect dark magic. If its been tested and proven, then that's a reason. But short of that, its not counterintuitive or anything to believe it does impact dark magic.
    You're making the opposite blanket statement that there are no connections between anything in the game and we can't make any educated guesses about anything. Perhaps its just two different philosophies, but I believe that if there is lack of evidence to show one way or another, its safest to believe something will follow the same pattern as other things like it. Now, it doesn't always end up being true, but its the best you can do with educated guesses until somebody proves it wrong.

    Try to think beyond this specific case of MAB and Dark Magic, and consider the scientific process in general.

    1) We don't know how something works.
    2) Somebody makes a reasonable guess as to how it works based on what we know of other things
    3) It gets proven wrong
    4) Repeat step 2-3 until it doesn't get proven wrong
    5) People believe it for a while
    6) It gets proven wrong
    7) Go back to step 2

    Now go back and read my original point that it wasn't unreasonable or unintuitive to believe MAB affected Dark Magic skill until its disproven, and then we can all realize how pointless and sidetracked this argument really is.

  12. #212
    BRP
    BRP is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,019
    BG Level
    9

    [quote=MF Perm][quote=laverna]
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":d41ed
    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":d41ed
    Ok then I made a bad assumption that it effects ANY magic damage. But I knew it wasn't restricted to just Elemental.
    "Dummy" lol then a proper apology would be nice.
    Apologize for you still being wrong?
    Nope its for the "Dummy" as we both were wrong. Unless we are both Dummies, then I guess I can deal with that.[/quote:d41ed]

    Since you have my admission of being wrong quoted I would think this last post by you wouldn't need to be made but ok.[/quote:d41ed]

    I don't know what exactly is going on here, but I think you are both dummies now. Shut up.



    I don't know if this is wishful thinking on your part or what, but other "spikes" don't work like that
    Actually, if you mean percentage, I think one set of spikes do: the PLD Corsair roll.

  13. #213
    TSwiftie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,920
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Quote Originally Posted by Cylo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    Dread Spikes sounds promising. I'm thinking about it in terms of damage mitigation during merit parties. It could make /war a much more viable sub. (Which has a ton more offensive traits than /nin.) I think even in worst case scenario the spikes will absorb 10% of the damage taken... But I'm realli hoping it's going to be around 20-25% absorb... being able to take 25% damage during the few hits I take before the mob dies is a welcome change.
    I don't know if this is wishful thinking on your part or what, but other "spikes" don't work like that, so I don't assume Dread spikes would be a percentage. I would assume that a full-strength Dread Spikes will probably only drain a flat 9-15hp/proc. on anything that isn't undead. Also, I think it will be enhancing magic.
    I'm basing it off what POL said on the update:

    "While Dread Spikes is in effect, the dark knight will drain an amount of HP from an enemy corresponding to the amount of damage inflicted by each of the enemy's attacks"

  14. #214
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,008
    BG Level
    7
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    no one cares about us drk's until its time to kraken someones DL or AV.

  15. #215
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    The internet is serious business, and getting the last word in a forum argument awards you with cool points (CP).

    Every thread on this forum would be 63% shorter if it weren't for that.


    I spent my CP on fake sunglasses that shoot water and a zebra print slap bracelet.

  16. #216
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    MaB definitly doesn't affect drain/aspir. MaB doesn't work for the blu equivilants either; blood saber, digest, or MP drainkiss.

  17. #217
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    38
    BG Level
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixidor
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Perm
    Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Still surprised no one is mentioning how much magical damage a DRK could do with Drain I and Drain II(which apparently will heal a LOT of HP).
    If the average of Dr2 is 600+, DRK will be AMAZING.
    I was thinking more along the lines of...

    ZOMG DRK MAB!!111! GIVE TEHM A NOVIO!

    now that's sufficient use of the caps lock key and I appologize.

    MAB helps Elemental magic not dark magic. Drain 2 is most likely Dark magic as Drain is Dark Magic.
    Sarcasm!

  18. #218
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    [quote=BRP][quote=MF Perm]
    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":323e5
    Quote Originally Posted by laverna
    Quote Originally Posted by "MF Perm":323e5
    Ok then I made a bad assumption that it effects ANY magic damage. But I knew it wasn't restricted to just Elemental.
    "Dummy" lol then a proper apology would be nice.
    Apologize for you still being wrong?
    Nope its for the "Dummy" as we both were wrong. Unless we are both Dummies, then I guess I can deal with that.
    Since you have my admission of being wrong quoted I would think this last post by you wouldn't need to be made but ok.[/quote:323e5]

    I don't know what exactly is going on here, but I think you are both dummies now. Shut up.



    I don't know if this is wishful thinking on your part or what, but other "spikes" don't work like that
    Actually, if you mean percentage, I think one set of spikes do: the PLD Corsair roll.[/quote:323e5]

    If it weren't for people like you nitpicking in everyones side drama we would have won Iraq by now and abortion would be abolished.

    THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION, IT MATTERS.

  19. #219
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirokun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifer
    Drain damage is too random, its hard to prove anything but i have gotten up to 400 drains on mamool ja and i have never seen any 500-600 drains outside of MB.

    I think it doesnt affect it cos drain doesnt deal damage directly, it drains the HP, it even apears as blue text in the log like cures not white like damage.
    i think that with the update, the drain II's will show in the log because you *shouldnt* be able to drainII for 0 (assuming no magic shield), and the full amount past standard HP will go into a max hp buff icon, with the damage/hp converted shown in the log
    Is this going to be a reason to make Darkness SC on HNMs to preceed Souleater-Kraken? :(

  20. #220
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,115
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by safer
    having an npc fellow out would qualify for getting the xp boost? just me and my fellow
    they do not count as actual party members, so you won't get the EXP bonus from Signet.
    Fixed

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Job and Battle System Adjustments (03/06/2008) (FUCK YEAH)
    By Spoony Bob in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 2008-03-10, 10:42
  2. Replies: 487
    Last Post: 2007-08-26, 21:34
  3. Battle System Adjustments (08/14/2007)
    By Spoony Bob in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1255
    Last Post: 2007-08-21, 16:40
  4. New Assault Area (03/01/2007)
    By Not Kuno in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 482
    Last Post: 2007-03-07, 07:49
  5. Greetings for the New Year! (01/05/2007)
    By Jeryhn in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 2007-01-07, 13:40