Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Results 201 to 218 of 218
  1. #201
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    619
    BG Level
    5

    HOLY LORD WHAT AN AWESOME MOVIE.

    I'm speechless. I had chills the entire movie, which rarely ever happens to me. I have to say, the sky full of arrows was amazing.

  2. #202
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,578
    BG Level
    7

    Saw it again today, Was still as good as when I first saw it. Going back next weekend to see it again :wink:

  3. #203
    The Flying Scotsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,652
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by yayaok
    i dont give a shit about historical accuracy, the elephant fight part was enough excitement to make 300 one of my fav war movies lol
    fucking a right it was.

  4. #204
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,989
    BG Level
    8

    Only thing that kind of disappointed me was how short it was. Troy was like.. 2h30m, Gladiator had to be up in the 3h range. WHY COULDN'T 300 BE 3 HOURS? WOULD THE THEATER EXPLODE FROM ALL THE AWESOME AND KILL EVERYONE? A suitable loss for awesomeness I'd say.

  5. #205
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    These are the same sexual intellectuals who bitched about Troy being historically inaccurate belle, you know the one about the mythical account of the seige of Troy involving an invincible demi-god warrior named Achilles?
    >_>

    The story told in the Iliad hasn't changed in the last 3000 years. I do believe people have the right to complain about Troy not being "historically" accurate when they notice difference between the movie and one of mankind oldest book (if it's not the oldest one).

    Of course, it's an adaption and the author has the right to do what he wants, but it doesnt take away people's right to complain.

  6. #206
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,279
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    WOULD THE THEATER EXPLODE FROM ALL THE AWESOME AND KILL EVERYONE?
    i think thats the reason why it was so short, for real
    me and my friends went fucking APESHIT in the theaters along with most of the teenager dudes there, we were like THIS ISU SPALTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    if they were to add another hour of rhino/elephant gtfoing and arrowskies... i dont know what the outcome of us would've been like

    my favorite part was when the persians first charged, and the king was like IS THAT ALL YOU GOT LOSERS and did HAOO push with their shields and stabby, repeat and rinse omgggg gonna watch again fosho

  7. #207
    The Flying Scotsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,652
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    These are the same sexual intellectuals who bitched about Troy being historically inaccurate belle, you know the one about the mythical account of the seige of Troy involving an invincible demi-god warrior named Achilles?
    >_>

    The story told in the Iliad hasn't changed in the last 3000 years. I do believe people have the right to complain about Troy not being "historically" accurate when they notice difference between the movie and one of mankind oldest book (if it's not the oldest one).

    Of course, it's an adaption and the author has the right to do what he wants, but it doesnt take away people's right to complain.
    Aye, you are correct. But the complaint is a stupid one. There is history class, where I go to sleep, and then there is a movie where I don't sleep, where I go to be distracted with blood and swords and arrows blotting out the sun and underdog asskicking of some pompous faggot Persian with his panties in a twist OMFG SPARTA HOOAH! See the difference? I knew the difference before I walked in the door, even before I paid my $8.50. I was going to be entertained, not be educated. So all the armchair and professional critics alike who cry about 300 and Troy not being historically accurate(btw if you want to get real sexual intellectual about it the whole fucking "history" of Troy is myth) are completely missing the point.

  8. #208
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    It's true you go at the theater to be entertained, but not everyone is entertained the same way. I personally went to see Troy with a different mind set than I did for 300.
    What would you say if for example, Jesus in Passion of the Christ would jump off the cross and kick Roman soldier's ass before dying to a spear? It's cooler for sure, but needed? Not really. There is time when you should stick to the original character and story, especially when it's something well known.

    Frank Miller wrote the comics and also worked on the movie. No matter what people says, he has the right to do what he wants since he made the story from scratch. In the case of Troy, they should have sticked to the existing story and do something cool with it.

  9. #209
    The Flying Scotsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,652
    BG Level
    6

    Not to derail, but as a screenwriter, I imagine one would be hard pressed to condense the Illiad into a movie and be completely in line with legend.

    Edit: Not to say that I am a screenwriter, but that I think a screenwriter would be hard pressed

  10. #210
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    Not to derail, but as a screenwriter, I imagine one would be hard pressed to condense the Illiad into a movie and be completely in line with legend.

    Edit: Not to say that I am a screenwriter, but that I think a screenwriter would be hard pressed
    Iliad was really not that long. There was obviously some stuff that had to be cut, but many of the change and addition were not needed. Imagine 300 if they cut 30min of battle to add 30minutes of love story between the King and his Queen to please everyone?

  11. #211
    GRT
    GRT is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,272
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by yayaok
    i dont give a shit about historical accuracy, the elephant fight part was enough excitement to make 300 one of my fav war movies lol
    as much as i love 300, LotR elephant fight >>>> 300 elephant fight

  12. #212
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    BG Level
    7

    So I saw this last night...am I the only person who is a little disappointed? The movie kept me wanting more...I think I hyped this movie up too much for myself. I don't know.

  13. #213
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,115
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    So I saw this last night...am I the only person who is a little disappointed? The movie kept me wanting more...I think I hyped this movie up too much for myself. I don't know.
    I've seen it 3 times in the theatre. Once stoned. Once on my laptop this morning. Equals 4 times.

    Not disappointed yet. I'll let you know.

  14. #214
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,880
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    So I saw this last night...am I the only person who is a little disappointed? The movie kept me wanting more...I think I hyped this movie up too much for myself. I don't know.
    I enjoyed it, but it's also by far the simplest film I've ever seen. 20 minutes of explaining why Spartans are the most badass men to walk the earth, then 1:30 of showing it. 2 subplots, one of which (involving the queen) that doesn't affect the main story in the slightest, and you basically know what will happen the entire time.

    I wasn't nearly as jazzed up when I left the theater as I thought I'd be - almost just kind of role-played the "wow that was really amazing" with my friends because it was what I felt I probably should say.

  15. #215
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    602
    BG Level
    5

    If you went into this movie thinking it would be anything other then a bad ass action movie with great cinematography and special effects you shouldnt have put the money down for the ticket.

  16. #216
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by arlania
    If you went into this movie thinking it would be anything other then a bad ass action movie with great cinematography and special effects you shouldnt have put the money down for the ticket.
    I didn't. I saw it for free at the theater.

  17. #217
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,880
    BG Level
    10

    It is kind of amusing that the only characters that develop at all the entire film is the queen and the hunchback - the grand whopping total of both subplots. I don't think I've ever seen a hands-down main character in a film have 0 change before.

  18. #218
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,483
    BG Level
    7

    Watch any Steven Seagal film for a great example of what you're complaining about.

    Personally I did't give a crap, it was entertaining and gory. If I was looking for character development and subtle plots, I'd have bought a ticket to a different movie. It had exactly what I wanted to see, which was elephants being pushed off cliffs, people getting their legs hacked off, and spartans being unnecessarily mighty and epic about everything.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Similar Threads

  1. Doctor Who: Voyage of the Damned (Tomorrow)
    By shukuffxi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2007-12-26, 06:15
  2. who would win in a fight?
    By Andarvi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2006-06-02, 20:04
  3. who would win in a fight?
    By Andarvi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2006-06-02, 19:50