Page 396 of 777 FirstFirst ... 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 ... LastLast
Results 7901 to 7920 of 15535
  1. #7901
    29 in magical dog years
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,039
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Only anime I've ever seen is Cowboy Bebop - The movie.

    Can anybody point me to a good beginner's guide to anime? I'd google something but I'm afraid of getting the Allakazham of anime.

    Edit: I forgot I watched a bunch of DBZ episodes where Majinboo was like the end of the world. Then he got beat or something (this was like 7 years ago), and then some new menace. That show gave me the impression that no matter how badass the current villain was, as soon as he's beat, another guy will show up who's just a little bit more badass.

  2. #7902
    Ker
    Ker is offline
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,571
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    i got no real guide but if your into serious, drama and maybe little comedy

    Berserk
    Samurai Champloo
    ghost in the shell movies + TV series
    basilisk
    Hayao Miyazaki Movies (alot but my fav is The Castle of Cagliostro)
    Rurouni Kenshin OVA ( first one don't bother with ova2 )
    Grave Of The Fireflies ( only anime ever made me cry heck, my mom cried when she saw it and she still thinks anime is for kids).
    Fullmetal Alchemist ( watch the first series then when your done watch second series)

    and as for comedy and crasy stuff i have nothing to recommend since it depend on people style.

  3. #7903
    Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    964
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Hmm, beginner animes, eh? Before all else, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. You won't be disappointed. This WILL prepare you for almost any non-hentai-related trauma any anime may inflict on you in the future, out of sheer awesomeness. Next... Watch the actual Cowboy Bebop series. Trigun (desert-outlaw-cowboy action) Slice-o-life, you can start out with Azumanga Daioh. Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (hard to define, kind of slice-of-life-y) is a cultural must, even if it's falling out of favor the longer the studio fucks with the fans about the second season. Let's see... maybe a nice CLAMP anime like Chobits (romance-drama)... Ghost in the Shell (mystery thriller), Kanon (super suicide-inducing over-the-top tearjerker drama), Ah! My Goddess (comedy-romance), Code Geass (action), Toradora! (romance-comedy...?). If some of the "zany" stuff leaves a bad taste in your mouth, try Honey and Clover for a very realistic (and I DON'T mean dark and gritty per se, just very realistically portrayed) story set in the college years of a handful of art students; it's probably my favorite anime and ranks very highly amonst my favorite stories of any medium.

    Generally stay away from DBZ, Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, et al until you have a better idea of what you're gtting into. The genre is called Neverending Battle Shounen ('boy') anime, which is pretty much defined by what you said about DBZ. Not to say there isn't some good stuff in there SOMEWHERE, but it's a huge time sink that you can avoid for now.

    Um, I'm not really a hardcore fan, so I'm sure some people who are more into it will disagree. I'm speaking mostly as a causal fan who's been at it for a good long while, so I kind of have an idea of what might be easy to get into (and worth your time). I tried to stay mostly away from stuff where the low-quality animation might turn you off (Slayers, Fushigi Yuugi, early Gundam/Macross stuff), and I didn't put anything overly fanservicy or outright dirty.

  4. #7904
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,772
    BG Level
    8

    My only recommendation for anime beginner is to find something to build an attachment to, be it genre, character type, studio, or even seiyuu.

    Once you find some sort of attachment, it'd be a lot easier to recommend a series rather than asking people "oh only anime i watch is dbz, what should i watch now?" because I could tell you to go watch Queen's Blade right now and you'd be none the wiser.

  5. #7905
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    Only anime I've ever seen is Cowboy Bebop - The movie.

    Can anybody point me to a good beginner's guide to anime? I'd google something but I'm afraid of getting the Allakazham of anime.

    Edit: I forgot I watched a bunch of DBZ episodes where Majinboo was like the end of the world. Then he got beat or something (this was like 7 years ago), and then some new menace. That show gave me the impression that no matter how badass the current villain was, as soon as he's beat, another guy will show up who's just a little bit more badass.
    Gurrann Lagann? Make sure to watch up to episode 7.

    This one is a safe bet in my opinion. Not everyone like it obviously, but I've seen a lot more pro than cons.

  6. #7906
    Ker
    Ker is offline
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,571
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Since you enjoyed anime like Cowboy Bebop i'd say watch what i recommend because anime like Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Code Geass, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and so on can turn people off anime if you don't define the genre your into.

  7. #7907
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Personally I'd recommend doing what Zilong suggested. Find a theme or genre you like and start from there. You can expand sooner or later and begin watching some other stuff. A lot of anime can put you off, so stick with the main stream and highly recommending stuff.

  8. #7908
    Ker
    Ker is offline
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,571
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Valkyria Chronicle ep6 was fun and lol at the sex in public toilet joke

  9. #7909
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,125
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Haha, I always thought Akira looked like Morita ;o
    I also noticed that. I personally always thought that Yusei (Selecao detective guy) reminded me of Shuji from HnC as well. : p

  10. #7910
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Chocoboy View Post
    Of course Akira will die, he is already abusing his powers..
    Also, go check out what episode 10 is called. >.>

    Good episode, though.
    Ohsugi
    Spoiler: show
    Yeah, I know the title name.. but we've seen that he has multiple identities. Leaves me to wonder if that'll come into play, or if he'll really die. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a happy ending with Saki/Akira.. but the chances of that are rather slim. =[

  11. #7911
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    481
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Watching Dennou Coil, it's probably one of my favorites so far.

  12. #7912
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    AnimeSuki Forum - View Single Post - Saki

    Apparently people who translate for crunchyroll simultcast subs get to see shows up to a week early

  13. #7913
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by Telamond View Post
    Watching Dennou Coil, it's probably one of my favorites so far.
    Dennou Coil is great. One of my all time favorite. It's just not for the kind of person who wants martial art, explosion or boobies in their animes.

  14. #7914
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,152
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    AnimeSuki Forum - View Single Post - Saki

    Apparently people who translate for crunchyroll simultcast subs get to see shows up to a week early
    They get upped to CR early too.

  15. #7915
    Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,160
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

    Randomly, has anyone seen Chokotto Sister

    how ecchi would you say the series is in total from a scale of 1 to 10

  16. #7916
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    413
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Spoiler: show
    Yeah, I know the title name.. but we've seen that he has multiple identities. Leaves me to wonder if that'll come into play, or if he'll really die. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a happy ending with Saki/Akira.. but the chances of that are rather slim. =[
    Something epic will happen, for sure.
    Spoiler: show

    It was announced that there is going to be a movie as well. I couldn't see a movie without Akira, unless they go in a totally different direction with the movie. As in a completely different set of Selecao or something of that nature.. I dunnah though. All I know is I'm seriously loving Eden so far. <3

  17. #7917
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,444
    BG Level
    7

    They don't get Saki early, thats when it comes out in Japan. Earlier than people not paying I guess.

  18. #7918
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,772
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Randomly, has anyone seen Chokotto Sister

    how ecchi would you say the series is in total from a scale of 1 to 10
    The manga is about 7-8

    I think the best thing that come out of the series is neko nyan dance, which isn't saying much really.

  19. #7919
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    481
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Dennou Coil is great. One of my all time favorite. It's just not for the kind of person who wants martial art, explosion or boobies in their animes.
    I really like the animators. Anyone know if they've done anything else?

  20. #7920
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Not that I know. New director, and original story.

    [edit]
    Watch Last exile if you never did. It's completely different storywise, but I thought it had a nice production value as well.

Page 396 of 777 FirstFirst ... 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 ... LastLast