Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 160
  1. #41
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    I kind of assumed that was obvious, how else would they make MGS and FF stay, by giving sony and konami cookies?

  2. #42
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Way to be a fanboy retard then, I guess.

    If Sony doesn't cough up the cash/incentives, I'd fully expect MGS and FF13 to go multiplatform. The console itself hasn't dominated nearly enough (let alone at all) to make a PS3 exclusive title worth it on its own right.

  3. #43
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Read my previous post before throwing words in the air like a moron, kay?

    Not being a fanboy, I just don't see Sony giving up on their main 3rd party exclusive titles, and they'll probably give them as much money as they would want in order to keep them under their wing.

    What has that got to do with being a fanboy? You're just being irrational. (and probably blinded by the fact DMC moved to multi, however DMC isn't nearly as large as MGS or FF, and it was to DMC's benefit to move to multi so it would try to make its fanbase even larger than it currently is.)

  4. #44
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Read my previous post before throwing words in the air like a moron, kay?

    Not being a fanboy, I just don't see Sony giving up on their main 3rd party exclusive titles, and they'll probably give them as much money as they would want in order to keep them under their wing.

    What has that got to do with being a fanboy? You're just being irrational. (and probably blinded by the fact DMC moved to multi, however DMC isn't nearly as large as MGS or FF, and it was to DMC's benefit to move to multi so it would try to make its fanbase even larger than it currently is.)

    That's the point, Microsoft would have to offer less in rewards due to the fact that more units to sell to = profit. They're more concerned with earnings for shareholder value, not exclusive subsidy packages. I would imagine anyways, the former would give more to the value of their respective companies.

  5. #45
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    I'm assuming there would be enough PS3's around by the time MGS and especially FF are out, because of other titles like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and the likes.

    But you know what... with today's world who knows...
    Like I said, i'd be the first one who would be happy about it, since I'd prefer getting achievements (even though the PS3 would have their own version by then, but it won't be the same.)

  6. #46
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    968
    BG Level
    5

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    I'm assuming there would be enough PS3's around by the time MGS and especially FF are out, because of other titles like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and the likes.

    But you know what... with today's world who knows...
    Like I said, i'd be the first one who would be happy about it, since I'd prefer getting achievements (even though the PS3 would have their own version by then, but it won't be the same.)
    Well if Xbox drops another $100 to compete with ol' $599.... I'm sure Xbox is going to be much more saturated in the market to make a sales position to these companies.

  7. #47
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Well, I don't see how MGS could even move to the 360 unless it would be a completely different version/built exclusively for it (since it IS the reason we're still waiting on MGS right now, Kojima wants that damned double layer bluray), and I'd imagine FF isn't going to be small either.

    Then again, look at Gears' graphics.... I guess time will tell.

  8. #48
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,855
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    microsoft appears to be phasing out the core systems, so something is definitely in the works.

  9. #49
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Well, I don't see how MGS could even move to the 360 unless it would be a completely different version/built exclusively for it (since it IS the reason we're still waiting on MGS right now, Kojima wants that damned double layer bluray), and I'd imagine FF isn't going to be small either.

    Then again, look at Gears' graphics.... I guess time will tell.
    Would pretty simple to just downsample the video/audio to fit on a smaller disc. Won't look as nice, but that's how most of the GameCube games were made to fit on the 1.7gb disc when the versions that ran on XB/PS2 used 3gb or more.

    If FF12 fit on a 4.7GB disc, FF13 should be fittable on a 7GB disc. Sure they may have to cut stuff/downsample to make it fit, but that's industry SOP anyway, so it's no big deal.

  10. #50
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Yeah i'm sure it's possible, guess it all depends on what Square wants to accomplish really... If they wanna help Sony sell the PS3s, keeping it exclusive would be the way to do it. But in today's gaming world, it seems like everyone just wants to make more money than they did with previous games/releases, so going multi would serve that purpose better I should think.

    I still don't see MGS moving away from the PS3 though, unless they put it in a 3-4 dvd set. But if Kojima is so persistant about putting the game on a single, double layer bluray, I don't see him compromising to make a 3-4 dvd set for the 360. (Then again, I really don't care... Blue Dragon is going to be 3 and i'm perfectly fine with it as long as the game is good.. it only takes a few seconds to swap the cds around anyways so who cares?)

  11. #51
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Why would SE care about Sony? Companies exist to make money for their shareholders.

    As far as long term strategy, there's only really 2 things at play that they will consider:
    1) it's better to have supported the winner than not
    2) it's better to have several strong players in the hardware market than not

  12. #52
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Things would've still looked differently if the PS3 and 360 were released at the same time... 360 just has the current one year advantage over the PS3.

    Who knows, maybe these companies still have faith in the system.

    Like I said, only time will tell... the 360 existed before SE and will surely exist and reign at the top without it.

  13. #53
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Who knows what the landscape would have looked like if PS3 launched a year earlier and $100 cheaper? Better yet, who cares?

    One could argue that the 1 year headstart was all that the technologically far-inferior PS2 needed to clobber both the XBox and GameCube Even though programming for the PS2 was like pulling teeth compared to the nice integrated toolchain MS provided for the Xbox.

  14. #54
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,530
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    The PS3 is now the number one seller on Amazon.com and sales have risen 2800%. I did not expect the price cut to have this much of an effect.

  15. #55
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    624
    BG Level
    5

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    it seems like everyone just wants to make more money than they did with previous games/releases,
    Costs keep going up and they're not stopping anytime soon, they gotta find out ways to make more money off them to keep up. That aside, games are still pretty cheap considering how much you get from them

    The PS3 is now the number one seller on Amazon.com and sales have risen 2800%. I did not expect the price cut to have this much of an effect.
    Well yeah, big price cut, lots of people start buying. You're not going to actually get the whole picture on how much sales actually went up until the fuzz dies down a bit and you can look at it over a longer period of time

  16. #56
    Straight Ca$h Homie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,942
    BG Level
    9

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Things would've still looked differently if the PS3 and 360 were released at the same time... 360 just has the current one year advantage over the PS3.
    It's dumb to say that when Dreamcast was raped out of commision by PS2, even with a 1 year headstart. You have to give it to microsoft on the 360. (or more-so Epic games)

    All I have to say about SE and FFXIII is this. The Last Remnant was announced for the xbox, as are many other games that are soon to come out. There really isn't much in the way of stopping them from making a port of FF over to 360, provided a little financial incentive.

  17. #57
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    452
    BG Level
    4

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    I want more Ico, stop pushing out shit games.

  18. #58
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Things would've still looked differently if the PS3 and 360 were released at the same time... 360 just has the current one year advantage over the PS3.
    It's dumb to say that when Dreamcast was raped out of commision by PS2, even with a 1 year headstart. You have to give it to microsoft on the 360. (or more-so Epic games)

    All I have to say about SE and FFXIII is this. The Last Remnant was announced for the xbox, as are many other games that are soon to come out. There really isn't much in the way of stopping them from making a port of FF over to 360, provided a little financial incentive.
    The Dreamcast is something I still don't understand to this day.. But I agree, Microsoft did everything right with the 360, and learnt from all their mistakes with the first lolxbox.

    I don't really care since at the end of the day I have both of them and can just pick and choose which version I like better, but that's just me.

    As far as FF13 goes? Like I said, who knows what SE will do... everyone wants to make as much money as possible in the long run, right? And if porting it over would provided a nice financial bonus (given that the people who buy it for the 360 weren't going to buy a PS3 for it, since if that's the case it doesn't really make their sales bigger as that person would've bought the game anyways), then they would probably consider it. The point is though, how many people would seriously not shell 400-500 bucks for a PS3 once FF13 is out, if it were to be an exlusive to that specific console? (and i'm talking about FF fans as a separate entity, not the general gaming population because I am aware that not everyone likes FF/RPGs.)

  19. #59
    This isnt going so well guys.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,654
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro
    The PS3 is now the number one seller on Amazon.com and sales have risen 2800%. I did not expect the price cut to have this much of an effect.

    6 Ps3's sold today at work, but we got a shipment of 4 more in to. It seems sony is also going to be sending many more ps3's in the upcoming weeks.

  20. #60
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Re: PS3 Price Drop Effective Now [599->499] + 80gb model announc

    I kinda want to see how nintendo and Microsoft will react to this. Normally, I would expect a price cut as well, to keep the advantage, but Nintendo has no trouble selling their console atm.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GG Sony; PS3 price drop essentially temporary. . .
    By Auspice in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 2007-07-13, 20:41
  2. PS3 launches 11/17--$499 for 20GB, $599 for 60GB
    By Xavier in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 2006-05-20, 15:58