+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (POL Error: 020)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

(POL Error: 020)

So my laptop has vista home premium installed on it and i know some of the problems this can cause while trying to install FFXI.

Originally i had downloaded POL from the website to start with knowing old POL would not start but then when i tried to install my FFXI CDs it said i had not yet installed POL.. With some help I managed to install both.

I had done some research to try and figure out how to install everything successfully however I can't find anything through searching talking about this error i have received... the steps i took were:

Install original POL from CD --> install FFXI CDs, --> uninstall old POL --> install new POL downloaded from FFXI website --> update POL --> try to play FFXI to update it... when i click play though POL instantly gives me this error in the attatchment

eventhough looking at my program files list all FFXI CDs are clearly there and installed..

so.. does anyone know what to do?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: (POL Error: 020)

Their instructions say you have to install FFXI after you install the Windows Vista version of POL. Registry keys link up with the game and PlayOnline, and there are minor differences in the vista version to make it compatible. Uninstall the listed entries for FFXI and the expansions, and POL for good measure and start over.

Vista POL -> FFXI -> Zilart -> Cop -> ToAU.

Also, before you uninstall, xcopy, or copy/paste a duplicate of the FINAL FANTASY XI folder
    (C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI). After you've reinstalled POL and ffxi in the order listed above, overwrite the new FINAL FANTASY XI folder with the one you made a copy of, this will copy all the updated dat files, so you don't have another 3 hour update (it will check the files, and download like 100, but thats better than the 44,000 it would've wanted to do).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvian
    Vista POL -> FFXI -> Zilart -> Cop -> ToAU.

i tried that, i downloaded the Vista POL then as i tried to install FFXI the instal shield wizard said something like "You cannot play FFXI without installing POL Please install PLAYONLINE before installing FFXI" so it seems either route wont work

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I vaguely recall something about having to not use the installer on the Auto-Run on your CD or DVD, but to instead manually execute the install file, by browsing into the cd drive.

If the PlayOnline viewer and FINAL FANTASY XI are already installed, they will need to be uninstalled. Select Programs from the Control Panel, and then select PlayOnline Viewer and FINAL FANTASY XI from the Uninstall or change a program list. Finally, click Uninstall.

Double click on the downloaded file, setup.
    *Depending on the Windows PC being used, the above file may be displayed as setup.exe.
    Also, a User Account Control window may appear. Square Enix has inspected this software and verified that there are no problems. Please confirm the file name and click Allow.

Place your FINAL FANTASY XI disc in your Windows PCs CD or DVD-ROM drive and follow the onscreen instructions. If the FINAL FANTASY XI installer does not start, follow the instructions below.

1. Select My Computer from the Start menu and right-click on the CD or DVD-ROM drive icon. Select Open from the displayed menu.

The setup program differs between different FINAL FANTASY XI discs. Please use the below as a reference to find your discs setup program. Once you have found the program, double-click on it.
    -FINAL FANTASY XI (original version) Setup on disc 2.
    -FINAL FANTASY XI Vanadiel Collection 2006 Setup in the folders INST1, INST2, INST3, and INST4.
    -Expanded data discs (Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan) Setup on each disc.
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...l?pageID=media

So after you install Vista POL, you have to manually execute the installers, by browsing into your dvd and running the setup.exe in the INST1 INST2 INST3 and INST4 folders.

And you have to run as administrator, sometimes vista with User Account Control will make it not do that.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

ahhh... that would probably explain why it didnt work.. okay ill try that but how do i manually get them to install once i have FFXI already going and it asks me to change discs while the installer is fullscreen? (sorry for the newbness)

ill try this tonight and see if it works out

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Once you get the installer for disk 1 to work, switching disks when prompted shouldn't cause you any problems.