Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1386
  1. #861
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    135
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii
    Weather spells completely replace the actual weather for the recipient. Whatever weather is actually present in the area, a person with a weather spell cast on them will in effect have a single weather of that element, and nothing else.
    Has this been shown to be true in regard to damage dealing spells, instead of possibly just being a restriction that prevents gear activated by different weather effects from working simultaneously?

  2. #862
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    566
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Sorry if its been posted, I didnt see it on any recent pages.

    What stat and staff is best for say Geohelix? Also its best to cast sandstorm first?

  3. #863
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Sorry if its been posted, I didnt see it on any recent pages.

    What stat and staff is best for say Geohelix? Also its best to cast sandstorm first?

    Did you seriously just ask this?

    Whatever, I'll still answer it anyway.

    It appears until a certain value, that INT increases the damage of a helix spell by 1.2dmg/INT. I haven't quite found the value yet because I haven't bothered spending time to get it down exactly, but I've tested my full nuking set and lowering by 1INT and sometimes the damage not decreasing at all (but -2INT made it go down by 1dmg), and then having no gear on and placing 1INT a time and seeing what the damage is (which went +1->+1->+1->+1->+2 for 15INT total). That lead me to believe that eventually you get diminishing returns, and I'll find that value sometime when I feel like it (busy leveling).

    ok, now for the 'you're an idiot' part:

    HI 2 U ELEMENTAL STAVES OF THE SAME ELEMENT god, seriously

    oh, and there's kinda the help text on Geohelix:
    Greatly effected by weather.

    weeeeeeeee
    Oh, yeah, a small note: Weather/Day procs 100% on helix spells. kekeke

  4. #864
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,157
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Oh, yeah, a small note: Weather/Day procs 100% on helix spells. kekeke
    Hm.. I expected weather to, but day as well eh? That could be useful, since day is the only element you can't control.

  5. #865
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,406
    BG Level
    6

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Plight
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii
    Weather spells completely replace the actual weather for the recipient. Whatever weather is actually present in the area, a person with a weather spell cast on them will in effect have a single weather of that element, and nothing else.
    Has this been shown to be true in regard to damage dealing spells, instead of possibly just being a restriction that prevents gear activated by different weather effects from working simultaneously?
    Logic and a minute amount of experience with SE and/or FFXI will give you the answer.

  6. #866
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Oh, yeah, a small note: Weather/Day procs 100% on helix spells. kekeke
    Hm.. I expected weather to, but day as well eh? That could be useful, since day is the only element you can't control.
    I'm guessing it's a glitch due to SE's flawed programming, but who knows.

  7. #867
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22,443
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    1.2 seems like an odd number for INT to increment damage by. It's possible it's incremented like tier 1 spells (Tier modifier of 1, which gets hit with the all the other modifiers.) How about 1 * 1.10 NQ Staff * 1.10 Weather = 1.21?

    Basically, if you test it as /BLM, it should go up much more rapidly if this is the case. Otherwise SE just chose an odd modifier. Haha, all that old bullshit about tier 1 efficiency builds for BLM could come back for SCH. =p

  8. #868
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth
    1.2 seems like an odd number for INT to increment damage by. It's possible it's incremented like tier 1 spells (Tier modifier of 1, which gets hit with the all the other modifiers.) How about 1 * 1.10 NQ Staff * 1.10 Weather = 1.21?

    Basically, if you test it as /BLM, it should go up much more rapidly if this is the case. Otherwise SE just chose an odd modifier. Haha, all that old bullshit about tier 1 efficiency builds for BLM could come back for SCH. =p
    Oh, shit, I was /rdm. Oops. Thanks.

    So yeah, it's exactly 1.0dmg/INT then. Oh well.

  9. #869
    BRP
    BRP is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,019
    BG Level
    9

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Oh, yeah, a small note: Weather/Day procs 100% on helix spells. kekeke
    Hmmm, if I'm reading this correctly, nukes always get weather/day bonuses on monsters with them on? If so, awesome. But I think it's too good to be true and I'm just reading it wrong.

  10. #870
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    135
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Oh, yeah, a small note: Weather/Day procs 100% on helix spells. kekeke
    Hmmm, if I'm reading this correctly, nukes always get weather/day bonuses on monsters with them on? If so, awesome. But I think it's too good to be true and I'm just reading it wrong.
    To clarify, the Helix spell base damage gets the bonus 100% of the time.

  11. #871
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Ok, something I need to test a little bit more, but here you go:

    So, I was PTing in Zhayolm, and there was earth weather. Single, it can't go double.

    I hit Sandstorm on myself for the hell of it. For some reason, without doing the potency JA, my Geohelix hit 155-157 or so on an Eruca... whereas I was normally getting 129-132ish? without weather being present in Zhayolm.

    So, I really want to do more tests on it to make sure, haven't had time to go out and do it yet, but I'm pretty sure it stacks.

    Kuno:

    No, you can't Accession (aoe) Reraise. Sorry.

  12. #872
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    HELL YES

    Geohelix, Sandstorm + 1 Earth Weather: 135 (wasn't on food, w/e)
    Geohelix, No Sandstorm + 1 Earth Weather: 118

    GOOD GAME FOLKS

    edit: just replicated it again

    also seeing ridiculously high numbers for Stone III at the moment with Sandstorm on and the earth weather still in the area, hitting 500ish on crawlers with no mb, but don't have anything concrete statistically to prove anything without obis. so it may just be for helices, and it may be for everything, but can't prove the latter yet.

  13. #873
    Thitaubian Seraph
    Guest

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    I am now a level 34 Elvaan Scholar.
    Question:
    Why is my Paralyze sticking better with Light Arts up (and it seems to proc more and last longer) than with Dark Arts?

    Dark Arts gives me B+(+2 from merits) enfeebling skill.
    Light Arts leaves me at D(+2) skill.
    Neither effect my mnd stat.
    Yet when I try to cast Paralyze (or Slow) with Dark Arts I will usually resist a few times or not even get it to stick at all.
    While having Light Arts up it seems to stick with the first or second cast.
    If Paralyze does stick with Dark Arts up it rarely if ever procs.
    With Light Arts it seems to immobilize the mob (depending on level).

    Does Light Arts give a bonus to White Magic Spells besides the B+ skill ratings?
    Anyone else been noticing this?
    (This would then also apply to Dark Spells with Dark Arts?)

    Note:
    I first noticed this while leveling with another (Japanese) Scholar who would cast Paralyze with Light Arts up and get much better results than myself (I was casting with Dark Arts).
    She was Mithra and had less mnd gear than myself, this boggled my mind as I thought I had all the stats on my side.
    Enfeebling, Mind, aswell as being a level higher than her at the time.

  14. #874
    Kirb
    Guest

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Thitaubian Seraph
    I am now a level 34 Elvaan Scholar.
    Question:
    Why is my Paralyze sticking better with Light Arts up (and it seems to proc more and last longer) than with Dark Arts?

    Dark Arts gives me B+(+2 from merits) enfeebling skill.
    Light Arts leaves me at D(+2) skill.
    Neither effect my mnd stat.
    Yet when I try to cast Paralyze (or Slow) with Dark Arts I will usually resist a few times or not even get it to stick at all.
    While having Light Arts up it seems to stick with the first or second cast.
    If Paralyze does stick with Dark Arts up it rarely if ever procs.
    With Light Arts it seems to immobilize the mob (depending on level).

    Does Light Arts give a bonus to White Magic Spells besides the B+ skill ratings?
    Anyone else been noticing this?
    (This would then also apply to Dark Spells with Dark Arts?)

    Note:
    I first noticed this while leveling with another (Japanese) Scholar who would cast Paralyze with Light Arts up and get much better results than myself (I was casting with Dark Arts).
    She was Mithra and had less mnd gear than myself, this boggled my mind as I thought I had all the stats on my side.
    Enfeebling, Mind, aswell as being a level higher than her at the time.
    I was actually rather curious about this as well. The spells that overlap from dark arts or light arts, how do they operate exactly? If they weren't boosted by their respectable light or dark magic family group, light-based enfeebles (dia, slow, paralyze) and Dark enhancing (spikes etc) seem kind of gimp for having to put up with the penalties.

    Forgive me if this was already answered, didn't see it anywhere.

  15. #875
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Just chalk it up to Enfeebling Magic and call it a day.

    I mean, when a PLD/NIN can land Kurayami: Ichi on Kirin with better accuracy than a NIN main, does that mean that the /nin is better for landing spells?

    Because BLM has sleepgaII they have better accuracy with sleep spells than RDM does?

    I mean, think about what you're saying, then analyze magic stats and accuracy, and also remember you're Lv34 and not Lv60+. I can't land an enfeebling spell for crap at Lv67 while in LA.

  16. #876
    Thitaubian Seraph
    Guest

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    I have thought about what I am saying geno.
    Are you saying that you have tried casting Paralyze at level 67 with Light Arts up and It does not work?
    And what does Blm and sleep have to do with my argument?

  17. #877
    Genoslut
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,849
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    It doesn't land, 'cause you don't have enfeebling skill, that's what I'm saying.

  18. #878
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    605
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Coming from a career RDM, Paralyze is just a wacky spell anyway. Even a 60 WHM can theoretically get better stick/proc rates on Paralyze than a decked 75 RDM (and for some reason, they honestly seem to ). Paralyze proc rates are random, and stick rate on any spell is random to a certain degree, unless you get very close to accuracy cap. Its quite conceivable that they just had better luck than you do.

    Also, do you know if they have any merits? At level 34, Enfeebling merits will make a D skill (93) into almost a B skill (100), and MND merits can easily make up for minute differences in gear.

  19. #879
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    617
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn
    Coming from a career RDM, Paralyze is just a wacky spell anyway. Even a 60 WHM can theoretically get better stick/proc rates on Paralyze than a decked 75 RDM (and for some reason, they honestly seem to ). Paralyze proc rates are random, and stick rate on any spell is random to a certain degree, unless you get very close to accuracy cap. Its quite conceivable that they just had better luck than you do.

    Also, do you know if they have any merits? At level 34, Enfeebling merits will make a D skill (93) into almost a B skill (100), and MND merits can easily make up for minute differences in gear.
    Paralyze is NOT random. I've seen a JP website testing long ago.
    Enfeebling skills effect major paralyze landing, and have minimal effect on proc rate.
    While MND plays a very big role in proc rate after the magic is landed.

  20. #880
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,122
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Scholar Discussion attempt #2

    hmm I know this is a little off track, and I don't know if it was already posted but do sch abilities affect any blu magic in anyway? or has it been totally proven that its only white and black magic only?

Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Scholar Discussion #3 (post March patch)
    By Lordwafik in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1379
    Last Post: 2010-04-01, 13:20
  2. Scholar discussion
    By Septimus in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 2007-11-20, 15:39
  3. Limbus and The Chips - Open Discussion
    By Avalonx in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 2005-10-22, 22:45
  4. Mithra char. create. Discuss...
    By Demetrick in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2005-10-01, 12:55
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-09-13, 22:01
  6. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-05-25, 12:30