Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 1061
  1. #561
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,666
    BG Level
    10

    agreed. was at least as good as any of the lotr movies. altho i dont like the lotr movies as much as everyone else LOL

  2. #562
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,918
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Havn't seen the movie but Tyven god damn I am loving your sig and avatar.

  3. #563
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    696
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    So watched it at midnight with a buddy then took the family the next day. A couple of questions popped up while I watched it the second time. Mind you its been 20 years since I read any of the books so hopefully this isnt too dumb.....

    Spoiler: show
    I am assuming the butterfly/eagles were responding to Galadrial's very obvious "If you ever need me, I'll be there for you" to Gandalf. Is this the case? Is it safe to assume to same is true in LoR when Saruman had him captive?

    When Thorin ran down out of the falling tree to fight the pale orc the nazgul theme was playing (or so I thought). Was it because he is of the line of someone who once held one of the dwarf rings? Or is that song not necessarily tied to the nazgul and I'm just imagining that? Or is it something in the book I have forgotten over the past twenty years (if this is the case please don't say what it is)?

  4. #564
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,452
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Spoiler: show
    Well Thorin is tied to the line of Dwarf Kings of old but I think the song wasn't meant to signify anything there. With the butterfly/eagles I don't know if it was really anything Galadriel had to do with. Much like Radagast, Gandalf has always had good relations with the Lord of the Eagles in the books since he came to Middle Earth. It was said in the books at one point that Gandalf helped to heal the Lord of Eagles from an arrow wound at one point and the eagles were always grateful to him after for that. Of course this is the movie version though so maybe it was the intent that Galadriel was behind the help.

  5. #565

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7,705
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Spoiler: show
    Well Thorin is tied to the line of Dwarf Kings of old but I think the song wasn't meant to signify anything there. With the butterfly/eagles I don't know if it was really anything Galadriel had to do with. Much like Radagast, Gandalf has always had good relations with the Lord of the Eagles in the books since he came to Middle Earth. It was said in the books at one point that Gandalf helped to heal the Lord of Eagles from an arrow wound at one point and the eagles were always grateful to him after for that. Of course this is the movie version though so maybe it was the intent that Galadriel was behind the help.
    Spoiler: show
    isn't the butterfly a callback(callforward?) to when Gandalf was stuck on top of Sarumon's tower? He used a butterfly to call the eagles to get him off then too

  6. #566
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,838
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Spoiler: show
    And to save Frodo at the end of the LotR trilogy.

  7. #567
    Little Mother
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,246
    BG Level
    7

    A lot of the critics are complaining that the movie is too long, and are complaining about the pacing.

    I honestly did not see it. It's also very fulfilling as well to go to a movie about a book for once, and not wonder "Man, I wonder which ____ of pages they cut from the book in order to trim the movie down to ____ time." It was really great to see every little detail imagined and presented, and god dammit I'm looking forward to the next ones so much it hurts.

  8. #568
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,452
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    Spoiler: show
    isn't the butterfly a callback(callforward?) to when Gandalf was stuck on top of Sarumon's tower? He used a butterfly to call the eagles to get him off then too
    Spoiler: show
    Yeah but again that's something added in for the movies. No real way of telling if the butterfly was a messenger of sorts for Galadriel or not. In the books that wasn't the case though. One reason I don't think it's the case is because of the time issue. In FotR at the time Gandalf is held prisoner and the butterfly shows up no one knows that Saruman has gone evil but Gandalf so Galadriel wouldn't have had any reason to send the butterfly there to help rescue him. And if she did somehow know then why send the butterfly and not the eagles directly?

  9. #569
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,666
    BG Level
    10

    all i know is that whenever shit hits the fan, some fucking giant eagles save the day. at some point these middle earth niggas are gonna figure it out and stop dickin around and just call up the big eagles from the get go

  10. #570
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    Eagles ain't some chumps - they don't ride for no one but the big G, and even then they stingy.

  11. #571
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,218
    BG Level
    10

    The Eagle Lord took an arrow to the knee and G healed him so now they do whatever the hell he wants. True story.
    Same story with the Horse Lord in LotRs.

  12. #572
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,805
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    Because it's fucking awesome.

    Song of the Lonely Mountain

  13. #573
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,767
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Seen it tonight. Was fucking stoked to get the first X minutes of Star Trek. That shit was amazing.

    Movie was great. Paced well. I pissed my wife off howeve, forgot to tell her it was a three-parter.

  14. #574
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,838
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Saw it today as well. I will admit that the movie started off a bit slow, but I still enjoyed every bit of it. It was great just returning back to Middle Earth and seeing a bunch of old and new characters.

    Only complaint is I was hoping to catch a glimpse or two more of Smaug. 1 year too far away

  15. #575
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    Gonna go see this tomorrow (tonight). One of my friends never managed to sit through all three LOTR movies because he kept falling asleep (usually during the first one) and then giving up because he missed parts. He made it through almost all of the first movie yesterday, and is hopefully watching the second right now. Assuming he did, the plan is for him to watch the third tomorrow, then drive up and go see the Hobbit with the rest of us.

    I've enjoyed the process, because he often misunderstands some aspects of the lore/story, having never read the books... so I get to show off all the lore that I've accumulated instead of such things as friends/family birthdays, holidays, history, and my own past.

  16. #576
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    209
    BG Level
    4

    Saw the movie today and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I agree with the critics though that it could have used some extra editing to shorten it. Also I still would have preferred a more faithful movie where it's only Bilbo's version of everything that happened, since it's supposedly his book, but the movie was still good.

  17. #577

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,994
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Seeing in 3D was a mistake as it always is, but other than that I enjoyed it.

  18. #578
    They're just like us
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Saw it this morning preparing to be a bit disappointed only to leave giddy as hell at the thought of the next 2. Bitches in spoilers.

    Spoiler: show

    1: Parts looked like an after-school special.
    I'm not sure why, but the quality of the CG felt all over the place.
    Sometimes it went from things that should have been technical effects that weren't to action shots that did not hold up in sequence.

    Gandalf's eye peering into Bilbo's house at the beginning is an example of the former: it was over magnified. There where some little things like that, where they used CG to enhance a scene³. Not all where bad, some stood out and drew more attention than they added to the scene.

    For the latter, Radaghast's chase with the wolves was kept throwing me off. Most of the CG was great, but every once in a while the action would get ahead of the camera. I learned really quickly that if you move your head with 3D glasses on, or hit the wrong viewing angle it goes from acceptable to 'oh god my eyes'.

    Every once in a while a scene would make me wonder if they rushed it after deciding to make the series a trilogy instead of 2 movies. The scenes with Radaghast and the Hedgehog, for example. Or Bilbo and Frodo talking about the Sackville Baggins'²

    2:Gay Dwarves
    The incoming slash for Kili and Fili will be the stuff of legend. I pray it gets a mention in Clerks 3.

    3: 3 hours long
    Seriously, even with the amount of material left I'm wondering how the 2nd and 3rd movie wont drag on.

    The second movie could be Mirkwood-> Finding the Door -> killing smaug
    And the third movie would be The Seige of Erebor then the battle of the five armies, which would be short and boring as hell.

    A more likely chain of events is Entering Mirkwood -> dealing with the Necromancer - > escaping the spiders -> escaping mirkwood for the second movie, with more scenes with the White Orc thrown in for good measure then the third movie setting up Lake Town, getting into the mountain, beating Smaug, Seige of Erebor and the battle of the five Armies.

    And holy fuck, that sounds awesome. But it's going to be looooooong. LOOOOOOOONG. There was easy 30 minutes of stuff to drop from this movie, I hope Jackson learns and chops more out of the 2nd and 3rd ones.




    ²Having said that, the many, MANY nods to LoTR and call forwards where awesome. The first time he put on the ring was amazing.
    ³After reading more and reflecting, this might not have been GC and might have been the higher frame rate. Which means that now I can't tell what side of the uncanny valley I'm on, holy shit.

  19. #579
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    329
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    I need to go see this again in 2D, saw it in HFR 3D, oh my days, looked absolutely stupid. The inside of bag end looked far too realistic, it was far too obvious the props were props, it looked like some day time TV crappy show.

    I loved the second half of the film, as the action and pace kept me distracted from these horrid visuals, but the lack of that warm, film feeling at the start ruined it for me some.

  20. #580
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    156
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    Spoiler: show


    The second movie could be Mirkwood-> Finding the Door -> killing smaug
    And the third movie would be The Seige of Erebor then the battle of the five armies, which would be short and boring as hell.

    A more likely chain of events is Entering Mirkwood -> dealing with the Necromancer - > escaping the spiders -> escaping mirkwood for the second movie, with more scenes with the White Orc thrown in for good measure then the third movie setting up Lake Town, getting into the mountain, beating Smaug, Seige of Erebor and the battle of the five Armies.
    Spoiler: show
    I'm expecting the movies to go similarly to your first idea, but then show many of the events that come between the hobbit and Fellowship. They had said at a few points they wand the end of the third to lead pretty directly into fellowship. I was expecting the 2nd movie to probably lead up to finding the door, possibly even including Bilbo's conversation with Smaug, with the third movie being the conclusion of the necromancer, death of Smaug, battle of the five armiles (with Azog leading them instead of Bolg) and then into a depection of the events that followed, such as Saurons return to Mordor, ect

Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Del Toro leaves "The Hobbit",film now w/o a director
    By Rulke in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2010-06-15, 09:21