+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I got a tough one.     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #1

    I got a tough one.

    1. Laptop with Linux pre-installed (150GB+, 2Ghz+, 2GB RAM +)
    2. Below $1000
    3. Mayor brand if possible.

    Ald.

  2. #2

    Re: I got a tough one.

    I don't think major brands sell anything with linux pre installed? Can't you download it for free anyway when you got a new one?

  3. #3
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,227
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Re: I got a tough one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    I don't think major brands sell anything with linux pre installed? Can't you download it for free anyway when you got a new one?
    Here's the next best thing:
    (Dell Lattitudes with FreeDOS)

    They're basically laptops without an OS, so you load it up with whatever you want (like Linux), if you want to cut out the Windows and pre-installed software that comes with everything else.

  4. #4

    Re: I got a tough one.

    Yeah, I thought about that. Thing is, a friend bought a Dell XPS and installed Linux, problem was he couldn't find most of the drivers =/

    So to save me all that trouble I'm trying to find ANY Linux pre-installed laptop.

    Ald

  5. #5

    Re: I got a tough one.

    you could buy the asus eee pc and upgrade it to 2gb memory. The 900 model is seriously sexy as shit.

    Hell it doesn't nearly meet your spec range but what can I say, I'll try to convince anyone lol....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY2azHo0LAU

  6. #6
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,227
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Re: I got a tough one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alduere
    Yeah, I thought about that. Thing is, a friend bought a Dell XPS and installed Linux, problem was he couldn't find most of the drivers =/

    So to save me all that trouble I'm trying to find ANY Linux pre-installed laptop.

    Ald
    The problem there is, if laptop manufacturers have access to those linux drivers, so will you.

    Instead of buying a laptop and hoping to find drivers for everything, what you should try is finding drivers then buying a laptop with matching hardware.

  7. #7
    Resident furfag
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,249
    BG Level
    6

    Re: I got a tough one.


  8. #8
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,742
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

  9. #9
    Not Killing Ganon
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,273
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    Re: I got a tough one.

    pretty sure dell has some 1520s with ubuntu on them<,<

    let me see if i can find the link

    edit:

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... WPL1&s=dhs

    you can add all your options, but you're limited at a 2ghz processor (core 2 duo though so not bad>.>)

    there ya go sir~

  10. #10

    Re: I got a tough one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon
    pretty sure dell has some 1520s with ubuntu on them<,<

    let me see if i can find the link

    edit:

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... WPL1&s=dhs

    you can add all your options, but you're limited at a 2ghz processor (core 2 duo though so not bad>.>)

    there ya go sir~
    Have my babies.

    Thanks a ton.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag