Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41
    I might be dumb enough to delete my email accounts
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    946
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Wow this year's art is great.

    Go go DNC AF.

  2. #42
    LD
    LD is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    The mithra pld using cover wins in my mind. The composition is striking and dramatic, the pallet is gorgeous, and the figures are ridiculously well drawn. I'm pretty disappointed that a boring anime cliche won. Most of those pictures were: Random Character in Random Situation, Standing Around. Very uninspiring. The cover picture was a diamond in the rough.
    If you're saying the winner is bad because it's an over-used cliche, I think you're being a bit of a hypocrite by supporting "Blue Knight", but I do agree it's one of the better pieces, despite it being a contrivance verging on triteness.

    "Feline Females in the Field" is good because it has a lot going on at once and each situation has its own story that is connected to the whole, but can also have its own self-contained ramifications. It's a humorous take on what can happen in battle, so it blends comedy with something we can all relate to (SNAFU). Compare it to the other winners, and you'll see it's very much different from the rest in that it's not a portrait, something showcasing a person or people, it's a scene, the focus of which is the situation rather than the individual characters.

    We're all entitled to our opinions, but you have to see things for what they are sometimes.


    Also, the chick in the dancer AF pic looks like a 12 year old boy with an expression so blank, I'd question the wisdom of letting him around my livestock. I really don't see the appeal besides the great detail, and the other winners also have that in spades.

    Finally, everything Gulk does is pure fucking gold. .........no pun intended.

  3. #43
    With milk. With love
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,629
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Anyone wanna take a stab at enlarging this to wallpaper size (preferably 1600x1200?)

  4. #44
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    341
    BG Level
    4

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/796/82319561wp1.jpg

    There you go; it's too bad there isn't a larger sample source image (it doesn't look great... but it's nearly 3 times the size or the original). I did all I could to get the right amount of blur / sharp (despeckle, took it up, sharpened, then down). Anyway, looks alright if you want this on your background. Personally I’d size it a bit smaller to get a better resolution and white frame it.

    Sampling it down on a smaller monitor would probably make it look better too.

  5. #45
    Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,322
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)


  6. #46
    With milk. With love
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,629
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    I took a few of the ideas you had noted down on the resizing and tried a couple additional steps. I think overall it came out pretty well. Lemme know what you think.

    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/417/ ... st2it3.jpg

  7. #47
    chi
    Guest

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Good stuff this year.

  8. #48
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    341
    BG Level
    4

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Looks pretty good Kimiko, better than the one I did I think

    The problem with any enlargement is that you really have to balance the blur / sharpness to your preference, which means it's going to be different for everyone's "ideal" enlargement. That said, I'd use yours

  9. #49
    VZX
    VZX is offline
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,700
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)


  10. #50
    chi
    Guest

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    That entire style of drawing never changes facial expressions.

  11. #51
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    131
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    I was really a fan of the dancer AF painting until I looked at it from a distance. The values on the skin of the female should have been darker because they are too close to the values in the moon. If you remove those two lines that seperate it from the moon, or stand back about 10 feet away from it, the female looks like she is a floating head and bust with lower body but the torso disappears. When I first saw the thumbnail I had to stare a while to understand it (and I thought they were simese (sp?) twin dancers joined at the back. Everything else about it was great, but the lack of clarity on the body probably was the thing that sealed it at 2nd place instead of first.

    They may have liked first place because it resembled miyizaki's style of watercolor works.

  12. #52
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,032
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbabwe Justice
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/top...imgs/im002.jpg


    My personal favorite. Aww yeah DNC AF.
    This should have been the winner.

    Lots of amazing drawings! No matter the skill, i love seeing FFXI drawings. KEep up the good work everyone!

  13. #53
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    One of the things I loved most about FFXI were the armour details. Amazing attention to detail in all the pics shown, wish I had that kind of patience.

  14. #54
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,141
    BG Level
    6

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    One of the things I loved most about FFXI were the armour details. Amazing attention to detail in all the pics shown, wish I had that kind of patience.
    Oh god seconded. I get so fkin lazy when drawing armor. Then again I spend like 10 mins max on pencilling before inking cuz I really can't be arsed when I know I'm gonna edit it in PShop eventually.

  15. #55
    Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,841
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by vagus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbabwe Justice
    imghttp://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/fanart/imgs/im002.jpg/img


    My personal favorite. Aww yeah DNC AF.
    This should have been the winner.
    For a second there I thought the two people were sharing a torso.

  16. #56
    chi
    Guest

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreampainter
    I was really a fan of the dancer AF painting until I looked at it from a distance. The values on the skin of the female should have been darker because they are too close to the values in the moon. If you remove those two lines that seperate it from the moon, or stand back about 10 feet away from it, the female looks like she is a floating head and bust with lower body but the torso disappears. When I first saw the thumbnail I had to stare a while to understand it (and I thought they were simese (sp?) twin dancers joined at the back. Everything else about it was great, but the lack of clarity on the body probably was the thing that sealed it at 2nd place instead of first.

    They may have liked first place because it resembled miyizaki's style of watercolor works.
    The skintone being the same as the moon could be a desirable effect, but my real problem with the dancer pic was that when I first looked at it, I was kinda confused about what was going on. I didn't realize that it was two people at first. If I had to change the values, it would be making the elvaan male a little darker so he looks less like a giant tumor.

    Ideally though... just push the layers a little further apart. The costumes are too similar to smash them together.

    Also, that "moon" could just as easily be some sort of spotlight... and probably is.

  17. #57
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    You people need new eyes.
    It's easy to tell it's two people and that's not an Elvaan male, that's a Hume. Sheesh.

  18. #58
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic
    You people need new eyes.
    Seriously.

  19. #59
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    131
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Doll Festival Fan Art Contest Winners Selected! (03/27/2008)

    well its all about clarity and a good read on the image beside all that other stuff, like render ability and technique (style). At pixar after a piece of concept art has been completed they hold it back about 50 feet in the hallway, and if you can still read the image from that distance its good on clarity. With the second place entry, the clarity is a little comprimised at a distance because that frail little line on the torso is not going to hold at a distance. I think everyone understood that there were 2 dancers, but weather or not they are sharing a spine is questionable at the first read.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2009-06-10, 17:55
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2009-05-07, 00:33
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2008-11-13, 22:42
  4. Final Fantasy fan art contest!
    By Branwen in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2007-08-18, 10:14