+ Reply to Thread

Broken Monitor = Broken Computer?

So I've had this monitor for a good 2 1/2 years and lately about 5 months ago it started making this "funny" noise when I would cut it on. I really didn't take much notice to it until aabout 2 months ago whenever I would cut my computer off and turn it back on it would take the screen about 5 minutes to fully turn on and eventually it got worse to the point that even after an hour it still wasn't fully on.

So like any computer illeterate person I decided to hit it real hard and it worked. So fast forward to two nights ago when I decided to give my computer a break and shut it off. Upon turning it on in the morning the screen wouldn't show any signs of working. So again I decided to hit it real hard and to my dismay it didn't work.

At this point for some stupid reason I decided to poke around in my computer to see if anything looked odd or seemed out of place (I'm an idiot) everything looked fine and the only remote thing I did that I guess could have caused my next dilemma was take out the heatsink to get rid of the dust that had built up in it, then replace it. After doing this I remembered I had an old working monitor lying around and decided to hook it up. After everything was connected I cut my computer on and noticed something quite wierd but just said to myself I must be imagining things. The monitor was turned on but it wasn't receiving a signal (from what I could tell) from the computer.

Now the thing I noticed, when I turned on my computer the blinking light (or whatever the hell it is called) stayed lit a good five minutes and showed no signs of going off. So I tried to turn my computer off but it litterally wouldn't. I had my finger on the power button for a good 2 minutes with absolutely no result. So I turned off my power supply and the computer STILL ran without any power(the hell?) so I unhooked the power cord and it finally shutdown.

Anyone know what could have happened or did happen? I'm honestly baffled.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Re: Broken Monitor = Broken Computer?

Have you double checked to make sure the heatsink was reinstalled correctly? If it's loose or not seated right, the CPU may be overheating, and the PC not booting as a safety measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia
    Have you double checked to make sure the heatsink was reinstalled correctly? If it's loose or not seated right, the CPU may be overheating, and the PC not booting as a safety measure.
    I checked it over and over again and it still does the same thing.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Well that's a new one...

Is there any chance you knocked something off while checking the inside of the computer? I would go back in and make sure everything is seated correctly. Check the 24 pin power connector (the bigass cable that provides main power to the motherboard) and the 4-pin molex connector that provides power to the CPU.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You may be having a problem with the hard drive. What can happen with a dying drive is that the computer tries to read it, but due to problems with the drive it takes a while for the thing to respond, which can make booting take a loooong time and/or fail at times. However, it usually won't run well even once booted.

Might want to try disconnecting the cables from the drive and see what happens. If the computer readily boots up to the point where it says no boot devices are available, then that might be a good hint.

Definitely do check to see if anything got knocked loose or not plugged back in. Also try removing the CMOS battery for 10-15 minutes while the computer is unplugged, then put it back in. That should reset the motherboard if it's in some safety mode.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

1.) When you took out the heatsink and replaced it, did you also replace the thermal paste on it?

2.) When you talk about blinking lights, you mean the one usually in the front of the case near the power button right?

Quote Originally Posted by jkim1162
    1.) When you took out the heatsink and replaced it, did you also replace the thermal paste on it?

2.) When you talk about blinking lights, you mean the one usually in the front of the case near the power button right?
    1. No, and this was just brought to my attention about an hour ago.

2. Yes

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Thermal paste doesn't necessarily -need- to get replaced...unless of course you cleaned it all off...usually the pad or paste or whatever will still function as it ought, though perhaps slightly less efficiently than it would were it not disturbed.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

A dead hard drive will have no effect on the POSTing process into the BIOS.

Sounds like a bad video card/loose connection.

A little update, had a friend use the paste crap stuff on the heatsink and now the computer boots up just fine. Sadly I got the blue screen of death yesterday so my friend is going to reformat Hard drive to see if that fixes it.