Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1421

Thread: MLB '08 Season Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #121
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama
    Dunno what Orioles' team you've been following them, but if I had to play a team in the AL East, it'd be them. They are struggling after losing 3/4 to the Red Sox. Their pitching is no where near as scary, and you beat Halladay before he really got in his groove.

    Also, only reason Halladay has three of those losses is because the offense behind him didn't give him jack for run support. Hope they do tonight.
    Yeah, and the same Orioles have taken 4 of 6 from the Yankees too. They have a lot of lefties and the Yanks just don't do well against them. The Blue Jays starters, while all good, are mostly righties who the Yankees have much better numbers against. The Orioles have players like Markakis and Millar who don't hit against anyone but the Yankees. Millar has killed the Yanks since his Red Sox years.

    Again, I'm looking at this from the perspective of my team which is the Yankees. On paper and standings Baltimore is by far the worse team, but I like their chances more against the Blue Jays.

    Also when was Halladay ever out of his groove? He pitched well against the Yankees opening day, just gave up a couple costly hits. And he's been great ever since.

  2. #122
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    What I mean by "Out of his groove" is everyone's first couple starts tend to be a tad rough, even if Halladay pitched great in opening day. If it were later down the line, he could've pitched better.

    Anyway, I understand your concerns then. I do realize the Yanks hit lefties badly and the O's have done well against them. I suppose it's like the year where they struggled against the (Devil) Rays, but could beat up on other teams. Meh.

    Joba looked rough in the first inning. Then again, Halladay looks pretty rough too.

  3. #123
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Yeah, I called them taking 2 strikes. No one swung unless there were 2 strikes, and I thought he got squeezed a bit. Oh well. The media amped this start up so much, but my friends and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was, even if he was lights out he wouldn't have been out there more than 4 innings. His next start is against KC, should be more interesting then.

    And yeah, really odd for the Yanks to get to Halladay that quickly. I'll be surprised if he doesn't settle down and pitch 7 strong though.

  4. #124
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Yeah, I called them taking 2 strikes. No one swung unless there were 2 strikes, and I thought he got squeezed a bit. Oh well. The media amped this start up so much, but my friends and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was, even if he was lights out he wouldn't have been out there more than 4 innings. His next start is against KC, should be more interesting then.

    And yeah, really odd for the Yanks to get to Halladay that quickly. I'll be surprised if he doesn't settle down and pitch 7 strong though.
    Almost a good call there. Two quick runs and bam, 5 strong innings in a row and got the win.

    I don't think Joba got squeezed from what I saw, and I just thought that his big problem was location. He left a few pitches hanging, and the Blue Jays got to him. Either way, 38 pitches in the first inning isn't very good, lol. D:

  5. #125
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    I missed Joba's start due to watching the Red Sox game. After seeing how it turned out, I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and listen to John Sterling's call of it. I hope Suzyn Waldman made sure that he didn't jump out the window.

  6. #126
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Yeah, the Yankees are a real disaster right now, no two ways about it. Admittedly I originally thought moving Joba to the rotation was a good idea but I'm having second thoughts. He just looks too much like a reliever and the Yankee bullpen has been absolutely horrendous for them. It really doesn't look like we're going anywhere this year. The only bright spot on the horizon is Posada coming back but meh... they need to trade for some bullpen bench help sooner rather than later.

  7. #127
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Yeah, the Yankees are a real disaster right now, no two ways about it. Admittedly I originally thought moving Joba to the rotation was a good idea but I'm having second thoughts. He just looks too much like a reliever and the Yankee bullpen has been absolutely horrendous for them. It really doesn't look like we're going anywhere this year. The only bright spot on the horizon is Posada coming back but meh... they need to trade for some bullpen bench help sooner rather than later.
    They have a ton of money. They'll spend it to get some bullpen help I'm sure. This is also Joba's first start. I wouldn't poo poo on him yet. It'll just take time to get used to, and the Yankees need to stop babying him. Hell, MLB need to stop babying pitchers all together. Not everyone has to be Dusty Baker and breaking young talent.

  8. #128
    Death by snoo snoo
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,117
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Ok, I have a question.

    With it being 2 months into the season, who got the better deal (putting team records aside)?

    Cincinnati who got Edinson Volquez
    or
    Texas who got Josh Hamilton?

    Both are extremely hot, whenever I see him hit a HR on sportscenter, I'm like wtf why isn't he still here, and then Volquez pitches like he did tonight, and I'm happy.

    I'm torn.

  9. #129
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Headspace
    Ok, I have a question.

    With it being 2 months into the season, who got the better deal (putting team records aside)?

    Cincinnati who got Edinson Volquez
    or
    Texas who got Josh Hamilton?

    Both are extremely hot, whenever I see him hit a HR on sportscenter, I'm like wtf why isn't he still here, and then Volquez pitches like he did tonight, and I'm happy.

    I'm torn.
    Know what? This has to be one of the rare times that both teams came out of the trade in a great position. I honestly don't think anyone won/lost that trade. Volquez is a beast of a pitcher. Of course Dusty Baker is the manager.. and we saw what happens when he coaches up young arms. *CoughPriorWoodcough*

    Josh Hamilton's story has to be one of the better ones out there. Crack addict to all-star Major Leaguer is a pretty awesome change.

  10. #130
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    I was actually thinking about that at work last night. The only comparison that came to mind immediately was when the Sox got Beckett and Lowell from the Marlins for HanRam and Sanchez. Trying to pick who came out on top in that deal is equally tough.

  11. #131
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    I would take Beckett and Lowell over those two any day of the week lol. Beckett sometimes doesn't look like an ace during the regular season, but he's been as good a postseason pitcher as anyone the last 5 years. And Lowell was the world series MVP, nuff said.

  12. #132
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    I would take Beckett and Lowell over those two any day of the week lol. Beckett sometimes doesn't look like an ace during the regular season, but he's been as good a postseason pitcher as anyone the last 5 years. And Lowell was the world series MVP, nuff said.
    I'd take HanRam over both without a doubt in my mind. He's a young stud, and worth a ton more than he's being paid. Beckett had a great season last year, but he can still be iffy here and there. Lowell produces, but not on HanRam levels.

  13. #133
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Lowell also had a flukey career year last year. You can also make the case that Pedroia should've been WS MVP.

  14. #134
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,815
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama
    Quote Originally Posted by Headspace
    Ok, I have a question.

    With it being 2 months into the season, who got the better deal (putting team records aside)?

    Cincinnati who got Edinson Volquez
    or
    Texas who got Josh Hamilton?

    Both are extremely hot, whenever I see him hit a HR on sportscenter, I'm like wtf why isn't he still here, and then Volquez pitches like he did tonight, and I'm happy.

    I'm torn.
    Know what? This has to be one of the rare times that both teams came out of the trade in a great position. I honestly don't think anyone won/lost that trade. Volquez is a beast of a pitcher. Of course Dusty Baker is the manager.. and we saw what happens when he coaches up young arms. *CoughPriorWoodcough*

    Josh Hamilton's story has to be one of the better ones out there. Crack addict to all-star Major Leaguer is a pretty awesome change.
    I think another part of his story that doesn't get mentioned is how out of "baseball shape" he was during his tough times. He randomly came to a few of our practices in high school where he played American Legion ball. He couldn't even hit the ball out of a high school field, a small high school field at that, 310 down the lines. He really didn't hit the ball hard at all. Just a testament to him that he was able to get back in shape again.

  15. #135
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    650
    BG Level
    5

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    Lowell also had a flukey career year last year. You can also make the case that Pedroia should've been WS MVP.
    Lowell is a product of Fenway. Put him anywhere else (except Coors and the bandbox in Philly) and he's an above-average-decent offensively. Pedroia's Home/Road splits were pretty stark last season also. Lowell has been better on the road this year (but I'll wait until the year ends) Pedroia's been awful away from Fenway.

    Stoked with the Yanks pick in the draft today.

    New York Yankees
    Gerrit Cole RHP Orange (Calif.) Lutheran H.S.

    This is a great pick; he fell to the Yankees for financial reasons. Cole has the best arm among the prep pitchers in the draft. He has a loose, quick arm. He has the best fastball of the high school pitchers; it tops out 97 mph. He needs more consistency on the breaking ball. And he needs to just throw his changeup instead of guiding it. He's a high-ceiling arm that could be a No. 1 starter. If that doesn't work, he could be a dominant reliever.

    -Law
    Only 17 years old, jizzzzzzz.
    Yeah, the Yankees are a real disaster right now, no two ways about it. Admittedly I originally thought moving Joba to the rotation was a good idea but I'm having second thoughts. He just looks too much like a reliever and the Yankee bullpen has been absolutely horrendous for them. It really doesn't look like we're going anywhere this year. The only bright spot on the horizon is Posada coming back but meh... they need to trade for some bullpen bench help sooner rather than later.
    How does he look like too much of a reliever? You do realize one of the biggest components into whether a hard thrower can be an effective starter, is if he can maintain that velocity deep into games? Joba hit 100 and hovered around 97 in the 7th inning in the minors. He was on a strict pitch count (the Jays knew it and capitalized) and there was a ridiculous amount of hype..expecting good results in his first outing was a longshot.

    He's gonna be the goods in a few years (or could pull a Lincecum and dominate next season) Either way, the next few years for this team are gonna be golden. We're gonna whore the shit out of the International market (Michael Inoa hi2u)

  16. #136
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,939
    BG Level
    7

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    I kinda regret switching from baseball to soccer as my sport. Baseball is in my family's blood. My grandfather actually threw two perfect games in the Minors, but felt he burned himself out cause he started pitching so young and didn't pursue it after being drafted (for WWII).

    Bringing guys in at such a young age is rediculous; teams need to protect these guys a little more, otherwise you're gonna see more and more elbow/shoulder injuries.

  17. #137
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    LoL@the fight in boston. Coco Crisp needs to be thrown out of the league, what a low class lowlife. I hope Bob Watson suspends half the Red Sox team, Shields didn't even hit him and there was no reason to charge the mound. Low class if you ask me.

  18. #138
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Grats to Chipper on his 400th homer tonight.

  19. #139
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    LoL@the fight in boston. Coco Crisp needs to be thrown out of the league, what a low class lowlife. I hope Bob Watson suspends half the Red Sox team, Shields didn't even hit him and there was no reason to charge the mound. Low class if you ask me.
    Uh... Shields admitted after the game that he was trying to hit Coco.

  20. #140
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Re: MLB '08 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    LoL@the fight in boston. Coco Crisp needs to be thrown out of the league, what a low class lowlife. I hope Bob Watson suspends half the Red Sox team, Shields didn't even hit him and there was no reason to charge the mound. Low class if you ask me.
    Uh... Shields admitted after the game that he was trying to hit Coco.
    Gonna have to agree about Coco being a "thug"

    He was already stupid for getting in the shouting match with Joe Maddon last night after that dirty slide. Getting retaliation is nothing new, but the thing is... Shields went low. It's not like he was headhunting. If it was thrown at his head, I agree with charging the mound like that. He threw at the back of his leg. Not even at his knee, and Coco dodged most of it. Him charging the mound made no sense. I'm behind Shields on this. He was getting retaliation for his team and Coco should have just stared, and then made his way to first base. Classless stuff tonight by Coco.

Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1007
    Last Post: 2012-08-15, 11:04
  2. Replies: 4567
    Last Post: 2011-11-01, 11:00
  3. 2010 MLB Season Discussion
    By Cephius in forum Sports
    Replies: 8309
    Last Post: 2010-11-16, 20:47
  4. 2009 MLB season discussion*
    By fren. in forum Sports
    Replies: 7026
    Last Post: 2010-02-08, 14:00
  5. 2008 MLB Season
    By Lordcaim in forum Sports
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2008-03-05, 08:25
  6. NBA Regular Season 2007-08
    By Rigor in forum Sports
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2007-11-16, 08:49
  7. NFL Discussion Preseason and season
    By Insanecyclone in forum Sports
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 2007-08-23, 20:28