A very unlikely scenario but maybe there'll be Chocobo NPCs/NMs introduced that have to be caught by Chocobo riders to actually get good gear or receive a very high speed mount.
The only thing I'm weirded by is the other mobs (sheep, dhamel, etc.)
A very unlikely scenario but maybe there'll be Chocobo NPCs/NMs introduced that have to be caught by Chocobo riders to actually get good gear or receive a very high speed mount.
The only thing I'm weirded by is the other mobs (sheep, dhamel, etc.)
Love my red chocobo but 1k per charge to ride it and slower than rental is just dumb.
This is most likely a "X-Files" reference, not a Watergate reference, considering how many pop culture references the game has. Also, it's an unlikely coincidence that the phrase "the truth is out there" would be used in the same article as a character named "Deep Moat", if this was about Watergate.
Even if it was a reference to x files.... I wonder where x files got it from...
I think Watergate is easily a larger part of (US) popular culture than X-Files is, at least until more baby-boomers die off. I can't imagine if you surveyed people on something like "Which of these names do you recognize? Bob Woodward, Fox Moulder, Carl Bernstein, Dana Scully" the X-Files characters would win, as great of a series as it was.
Freaking sad that people hear Deep Throat and think X-files, gogo public education!![]()
I disagree. You're talking about a show that went off 6 years ago, that averaged 15-20 million viewers weekly in it's prime, vs. a situation that happened close to 36 years ago. Even if you take babyboomers into consideration, it's unlikely SE would reference Watergate over "The X-Files" given their history of referencing popular movies, TV shows, etc.Originally Posted by Suiram
Also you have to consider the X-Files Deep Throat is probably more globally recognized at this point than the original from the 70s....SE choosing to reference a guy born in 1913 over a character from a popular TV show is sort of far-fetched.
I don't understand this mind state. Not everyone is from the US and even if they are from the US, most people have no reason to know or care about the code name of an undercover agent from almost 40 years ago. That's not really relevant information in anyone's day-to-day activities.Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza
Hes more mentioning the US residents than the international community who probably dont give a fuck.Originally Posted by hexagram23
Ok, I actually thought of this Deep Throat, before the Watergate one came to mind.
Seriously? I can't even believe this is a discussion. Regardless of what SE is actually referencing, anyone from the U.S. that thinks of X-Files first when they hear Deep Throat is grossly uneducated.
It's estimated that 85% of US households watched at least some portion of the the Watergate hearings (source), and the film for All the President's Men was the #5 highest-grossing film of 1976, compare to the first X-Files feature which didn't even make the top 10 in 1998.Originally Posted by hexagram23
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE MOTHER FUCKING CHOCOBOS, GOD DAMMIT!?!?
Jesus....
Nirokun was so in the right to ban you for his birthday.Originally Posted by LD
![]()
k #1: Ha, #2: you know this is asinine as well as I do.
I mean, God knows this isn't the most substantial update, but Jesus Christ, a derail in adv should at least be related to Mother Fucking FFXI. The worst part is they're having a serious conversation about this shit. A guy didn't know about Watergate. BIG FUCKING DEAL. There will be non-american's and stupid jack-offs for all of recorded time, I don't need a manifesto about it in a forum dedicated to an online video game.
Keep this ridiculous shit in Spam and General where it belongs.
Incidentally Rocl, aren't you a mod? I've seen things locked for much less.
Next SE interview, which question do you think would yield a more useful response,
"Can you give us more information on what the AV video was intended to demonstrate?"
or
"What was the inspiration for the Deep Moat character in the May 26 update announcement?"
That logic makes zero sense considering the lowest grossing Top 10 movie of '98 generated more money than the highest grossing movie of '76. "X-Files" in particular was more successful in '98, than "All The President's Men" was in '76, even after you consider inflation...."All The..." made $70 mill, "X-Files" $83 mill.Originally Posted by Suiram
And 85% of the US watching something 32 years ago means nothing in '08, unless you think the average age of people playing FFXI is 45+.
This is sort of silly to argue about either way, but it's highly unlikely SE would reference Watergate over The X-Files. In grand BG message board fashion, people are over thinking this.
God why the fuck did you even post this!? I can completely see some idiot taking this seriously at the next fanfest or something.Originally Posted by Suiram
FixedOriginally Posted by hexagram23
They're obviously hyping Metal Gear 4 with Gray Fox using Deep Throat as an alias in MGS1.