• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FFXI Connection, Windows Vista, Blue Screen ><><

For the past 2 months I have been experiencing some rather unique problems (or not so unique) issues with FFXI. I am absolutely desperate for a fix to this issue and have explored almost every possible option.

Here are my computer stats:

Toshiba Qosmio F45-AV425
    Hard Drive Size: 300 GB Hard Drive @ 4200 RPM
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
    Memory Size: 2048 MB DDR
    Display Size: 15.4 in
    Display Type: WXGA 1280x800
    Primary CD Drive: HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti
    Graphic's Cards: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (i am using driver version 169.17.. is there a better one out now?)
    Wireless Connection: A, G, N
    S- Vidio Attachment: Yes

For whatever reason, my wireless connection will randomly drop out while playing FFXI. When this happens, my connection to the internet will also drop out and my computer will be unable to detect any wireless access points for several minutes. When I attach the computer to a wired connection, FFXI still disconnects me, but I dont lose internet access etc. I have not witnessed my connection being lost any other time besides when I play FFXI. I occasionally will get the 'blue screen of death' which does a memory dump, restarts, then says "Windows has no solution for your issue at this time." To try and fix this, I have done the following things:

1) Replaced my wireless network card (comptuer was still under warranty)
    2) Updated all drivers etc
    3) reformatted my harddrive x2 (Toshiba said it 'has to be a software issue')

Playonline reps say it could be that I need a Static IP address, but that would require alot of changes for alot of different computers used, and I fail to see why it would select me vs four other people who play FFXI at my house at the same time, moreso after I reformatted my hard drive. As of now, none of this has worked. I have a linksys router, but I have disconnected on non-linksys routers as well over 3 different ISPs. I was having no connection issues for months, then it just all of the sudden started to happen about 2 months ago. My brother has the exact same computer (ordered them together), and has no connection issues with FFXI. I am at a complete loss on what to do at this point ; ; I cant enjoy the game when I'm disconnecting almost alot during dynamis, limbus, sky etc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Re: FFXI Connection, Windows Vista, Blue Screen ><><

First of all yes there is a better graphics driver out right now : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_174.74.html

Secondly, have you tried the port forwarding on your router? Google FFXI port forwarding for more info on that. I'm at work so I can't do much of that for you.

Also I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say your router is the WRT54G, could be wrong, but none the less, try disabling UPnP and make sure your firmware is updated.

Also go to your connection properties and try disabling QoS Packet Scheduler, Microsoft File and Printer Sharing, and Client for MS Networks (last two only if you don't run a home network). QoS was causing an issue with FFXI with me, the other 2 i'd just disable for security reasons if you aren't running a network. (those 2 could also cause connection issues, but I've yet to see that happen with FFXI)

Also do you have any 2.8 ghz phones in your house by any chance? A lot of 2.8ghz phones interfere with wireless connections. Took me a while to figure out what the hell was causing the disconnects in my house (mainly bc the phone is never for me haha)

Just throwing some stuff out there, not sure what you've tried.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The Playonline rep. asked told me to go to portforward.com and follow their instructions. I did so and set up the router configurations as they were reccomended, but did not set up a static IP address (which was also in the directions). Of course, it did not work.

Not sure about the phones, i'll have to look when I get home, and I havent, to my knowledge did many of the other things you've reccomeded, so I'll have to give those a try. I'm hoping for resolution, though every time I change something it last for a few hours, I get my hopes all up, then people stop moving and I r0 ><

For the new nvidia drivers, do I need the modified INF files for the laptop or is this version specifically for laptops?

thanks ^^

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Oh no you'll need the laptop ones I think... try that umm laptopvideo2go site or whatever that is. Sorry I'm not more help I'm at work like I said. If I get a chance to go through the FFXI Nvidia thread I'm pretty sure they were posted in there.

I'm having similar issues on my PS3.. I reinstalled on my PS3 to try and rectify the situation since it was occuring on my PS2. However I'm still constantly disconnected on my content ID only, I can log into my friend's content ID and have absolutely no connection issues at all. For the passed week or two the issue seemed to go away, but it started back up again today: I hadn't done anything different either (that I know of). I've even gone to another person's house and tried to play on my content ID for a few minutes, and I was having the same problem..at a loss.