Originally Posted by Pun
lol well done.
Originally Posted by Pun
lol well done.
I'm happy to see this, partly because of my belief that Obama would be a better candidate, but mainly because of the delicious schadenfreude of watching the Clintons spiral into defeat.Originally Posted by Acturus
This just in: The whole fucking world loves Obama
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-wo ... orld.View/
Colin Powell will never run for national office because of the My Lai Massacre.Originally Posted by Zanz L. Barre The 3rd
I posted a detailed explanation of why Edwards would be a horrible VP choice in the other thread, but suffice it to say he'll bring no extra votes to Obama. Expect Obama to pick Webb or Richardson (there's a very slight chance he'll pick Kathleen Sebelius, but Hillary will most likely make sure that there's no woman on the ticket that's not named Clinton).Originally Posted by Skirkle
From Reddit.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/ju ... ctions2008
"US elections: Jimmy Carter tells Barack Obama not to pick Hillary Clinton as running mate"
I laughed. Really.
Edwards would be better as attorney general, IMO.
I'd agree with making him Attorney General if not VP.
This is all speculation though, I'm completely willing to wait rather than sound like a douchebag pundit from a 24 hour news channel![]()
I support Bob Barr for Banning Wicca.
Think he can go after Christianity next? That'd be awesome.
Barr jokes aside, Webb is seeming very likely to me. White Southerner, major military cred (Fmr. Sec of the Navy), a Vietnam hero counterpart, a pro-gun position to balance Bittergate, and so on.
and check out how badass this guy is:
"Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker."
If Edwards hadn't frivolously sued dozens of OBGYN doctors into oblivion by claiming they caused birth defects, he might be an alright guy.
But somebody who makes a bankroll off of ruining people's financial lives... haven't we seen that in previous administrations?
Edwards might have a pretty face but he doesn't seem like a man of great ethics, at least in my eyes. And contrasted to Obama, Edwards will get grilled by any ethics committee haha.
WHERE IS AL GORE WHEN YOU NEED HIM!?
You are probably the only one who I've found agrees with me on this.Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
At some point people are going to forget he's only half more black than your average white man. Actually, I'm certain there are tons of people of people who don't even know. I mean, it doesn't matter or at least it shouldn't. However, still annoying because I'm tired of having it rammed down my throat about how black he is.
Considering rewriting that last sentence...
Who don't know what? That he isn't full-blooded black?
I'm pretty sure more people across the nation are more aware of his mixed racial heritage than about Hillary's racial heritage. It's not like you can pretend to ignore it and I've never seen anybody who didn't work for a newspaper or TV station do anything resembling 'ramming' his Wesley Snipes-level of Blacknitude down anybody's throat.
But I guess it's more fun to be the guy pissing on any attempt to claim how history will remember this nomination as something quite special.
His running mate will not be Clinton or Edwards, you make your VP someone that actually has a remote chance to run for President and actually win. They're both screwed in that respect. (Cheney doesn't count due to being both the devil incarnate and the real president.)
History should remember the truth. It's significant that he is the first not-fully white person to be in this position. However, everyone, including this thread, calling him "black" and not "mixed race" or whatever other way you want to accurately describe his actual race is a throwback to Jim Crow-era "just a drop" laws, where if you have even a touch of African blood in you you are automatically and exclusively "black". It's extremely oversimplified and I feel insulting to the complexity of heritage and race.Originally Posted by Correction
But go ahead, keep masturbating over this "idea" of "the first black president" - the only thing that makes him "black" is his father and a long history of racial prejudice and segregation that still persists in this simplistic language.
It's ok to be complicated about this, and being half-white doesn't minimize his accomplishment in my mind.
If the requirements for being black were based on some arbitrary percentage of pure African blood, then only a vanishingly small number of black men currently living in America would qualify. I have to wonder why half isn't good enough for a Black Man's Membership Card to you. Splitting hairs and connoting percentages with hyphenated labels reeks of 1992 political correctness. Something I can't help but think this board should be immune to.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote ... 151&page=1
And done. I bet if that Michelle "whitey" tape exists it gets dropped on Saturday lol.
Originally Posted by SwampdonkeyPLD
Doesnt exist. fuck, when not even the nutjob Michelle malkin thinks it exists you know the GOP are grasping for straws.
You'd think after the Dave Chappelle "Racial Draft" shit, white people would have learned.Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
This was a rule instituted and practiced by white folk. Now, all of a sudden when those "black" kids grew up and became important members of society, they're all of a sudden "half-white" again?
lol
editted wow i need to stop posting high
These are the same ideas that state that one race has to "claim" a mixed-race person, otherwise the "crazy confused mulattos" will have no where to turn! Gasp!Originally Posted by Deejay
I get it, I understand why it is the way it is, but I think we should be pushing towards something more nuanced, not vehemently fighting to maintain the status quo from the 1910s.
As long as he was raised black, then he's black. It shouldn't matter what is "statis quo" What if Barack ended up being a gangster who sold crack for a living? If this thread were a discussion about Barack the drug-dealer would you still be chiming in explaining that he's still "half-white"?
I just find it funny that you think it's such a crime to identify Obama with one group, as if you've ever winced at someone for calling a half-black person a nigger.