Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 306

Thread: Iphone 3g with GPS!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #81
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Having all my friends pics and contact information in my phone, with geotagged pics so i can use the great GPS system/apps to get anywhere I want, or ping them with the Loopt app and find out where they are at any given second and what restaurants or bars are nearest to us is just too cool.
    You're selling me. lol Your post is literally making me want to buy an iPhone if only the /month charge wasn't so damn much Also what's this about pinging people, that sounds like it has serious stalker potential, people can ping me and find out where I am just by knowing my phone number or something?

  2. #82
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    I'm trying to pick one up if I can find a store around here that has any left... Apple store is supposed to get more in today, but I'll see if it happens. I havent had an Ipod/mp3 player for ages, so how many songs can 8 gigs roughly hold or should i get the 16 gig instead?

  3. #83
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,147
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Honestly, Ive been waiting till the 16gig 3G iphone came out to get one and got the last one in tucson (literally last store that had them and last person in line to get one lol). As for my results:

    ITS AMAZING.

    Its one of those things that you wonder how you lived without once you get it. Its not a "neat phone" or nifty ipod upgrade, its a new way of connectivity and experience.

    1. The interface is spectacular, vivid, intuitive, and just damn cool.

    2. The web browser is fast (with 3G or wireless it lags very little) and very easy to manage. Its as easy to surf the web on this device, as it is to surf at home on my cpu.

    3. The apps are killer. Streaming radio, cool games, instant access to itunes, news, weather, friend locater and location based networking and event finding.

    4. Oh ya, its an awesome video/music Ipod.

    Having all my friends pics and contact information in my phone, with geotagged pics so i can use the great GPS system/apps to get anywhere I want, or ping them with the Loopt app and find out where they are at any given second and what restaurants or bars are nearest to us is just too cool.

    Getting lost on the way home last night and pulling out the iphone at 3am and getting a hybrid satelite/map view and guiding directions back to the highway was pretty awesome too.

    Just overall really happy with this, by far the coolest and usefull thing I own.
    I've been following the mega thread over at SA and hardly any user reviews of it, this convinced me even more. I've called all the AT&T stores that carry it here and none of them are answering the phone, is there still lines for this shit? Did you try out the flashlight app yet? that looks pretty hilarious and useful as I never have a flashlight when I need one,.

  4. #84
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    380
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

    For those who picked one up already: Is the battery life as bad as people are making it out to be? Also, has anyone seen the white model up close? I played with a black demo model and it really wasn't that big of a fingerprint magnet as I originally thought it would be.

    Since the BB Bold has apparently been pushed to a September release, the iPhone is looking pretty damn tempting right now.

  5. #85
    Bring on the Revolution
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,061
    BG Level
    10

    Question: does it have Blue-tooth headset capability? thats a big thing for me only thing keeping me from considering it really.

  6. #86
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    For those who picked one up already: Is the battery life as bad as people are making it out to be? Also, has anyone seen the white model up close? I played with a black demo model and it really wasn't that big of a fingerprint magnet as I originally thought it would be.

    Since the BB Bold has apparently been pushed to a September release, the iPhone is looking pretty damn tempting right now.
    Depends on your usage. If you surf the web all the time the whole day it's going to run out in half a day. For me I charge the phone every day and it's not been a problem yet.

    The white model looks good, but in reality you'll probably get a case (for protection) and it will all get covered up anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Question: does it have Blue-tooth headset capability? thats a big thing for me only thing keeping me from considering it really.
    Yeah, it has bluetooth (For hands free only though). No bluetooth for listening to music and no contacts direct transfer using bluetooth.

    Edit: One warning to those of you who has third party ipod/iphone accessories... It may not charge your phone anymore!! I own a car ipod/iphone connection as my audio player when I drive to/from work and it doesn't charge my 3G (charges the original iphone). I've read that they disabled fireware charging and only USB charging and that's why the 3G charging doesn't work in my car...

  7. #87
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    BG Level
    8

    Octo answered most of the quesions, I will DL the flashlight app on the phone when im done posting this (on my phone) in a sec. Get the 16 gig if you get the chance, and quite honestly the white one looks beautiful (more so than black i think), but ya I got a case for it so oh well lol.

    Havent tried blue tooth yet.

    As for the ping "Loopt" app, its not a stalker program, you have to sign up for it and register, and I am not sure yet if you can ping people not signed in (havent tried it, only have like 2 friends on it lol). Ill test it later. Was just really cool to ping my wife and determine what street she was on, and find a restaraunt between us (and directions from both our locations) in about 30 seconds.

    Seriously loving this thing. I am looking for a good app atm the is an extention of "remote" that will allow me to remotely control my desktop.... Hello playing FFXI on my iphone >.>

  8. #88
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,210
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Is the flashlight app anything you couldn't accomplish by opening a new page in Safari?

  9. #89
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,737
    BG Level
    7

    Nope, that's pretty much all it is. Though there's free versions of iflashlight anyways.

  10. #90
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    fuckin took an an early lunch to try and grab it.. got there 20 minutes after the Apple Store opened and there was alrdy a 3hr wait.

  11. #91
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,210
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    fuckin took an an early lunch to try and grab it.. got there 20 minutes after the Apple Store opened and there was alrdy a 3hr wait.
    I just went to my local ATT store.

  12. #92
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    I tried em all... they don't expect to get more until the end of the month. I doub't they are being honest, it's just a smart way of reducing traffic until they knoew when they are getting more. Apple store gets em in 1-3x a week it seems

  13. #93
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    You're selling me. lol Your post is literally making me want to buy an iPhone if only the /month charge wasn't so damn much Also what's this about pinging people, that sounds like it has serious stalker potential, people can ping me and find out where I am just by knowing my phone number or something?
    When I saw the Loopt demo at the WWDC, I immediately thought of hundreds of wives and gf's checking to see if their man really is "working late at the office."

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I'm trying to pick one up if I can find a store around here that has any left... Apple store is supposed to get more in today, but I'll see if it happens. I havent had an Ipod/mp3 player for ages, so how many songs can 8 gigs roughly hold or should i get the 16 gig instead?
    I still have a v1 8GB phone. I only have about 300 songs, 50 pictures and no video. But I did download a bunch of apps. All that and I'm still only 2GB. 16GB is for those that like to keep a few movies saved into their phone, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    For those who picked one up already: Is the battery life as bad as people are making it out to be? Also, has anyone seen the white model up close? I played with a black demo model and it really wasn't that big of a fingerprint magnet as I originally thought it would be.

    Since the BB Bold has apparently been pushed to a September release, the iPhone is looking pretty damn tempting right now.
    The battery life hoopla is from people comparing a non-3G to a 3G phone. Compared to a 3G phone, the battery life is just a crappy as the other 3G phones on the market. Which is why Apple chose not to come out with a 3G phone from the beginning. The main problem is that people play around with their iPhones 10x more than they would another phone so yeah the battery drains fast. I always plug in my phone when I drive and when I go to bed so the battery is never an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    I'm debating....should I buy a 16gig now? Or wait to see if a 32gig model appears?

    16gigs really isn't enough for me
    A lot of people like to wait for the next bigger and better to come out but why deprive yourself of months of goodness? Plus, when/if a 32GB model comes out then you'll probably tell yourself to wait until the 64GB model comes out. You'll never be satisfied. Get the 16GB and manage it better (in other words, do you really need 32GBs of porn on you at all times?)

  14. #94
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I am waiting for my employee discount before I upgrade but I am loving the apps store right now. My productivity is at an all time low right now and I'm losing a lot of sleep because i keep playing stuff on my phone.

    Some neat apps that I have found. These are free unless otherwise noted:

    PhoneSaber -- I think everyone has this one. http://youtube.com/watch?v=aT6MbpXTRCc

    iPint -- Another one everyone has. Drink virtual beer. Yay!http://youtube.com/watch?v=HewTDIAnDPs

    Aurora Feint -- One of those block puzzle games with RPG elements to it. Amazing that this app is free. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mP7r9AhiqfQ

    Vay -- I bought this one. It's a port of an old FF-style RPG game. Skip to the 7 min mark to see gameplay. http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNMpByvwq84

    Shazam and Midomi -- These two apps will ID songs for you. Just put your phone's microphone up to the music you want to ID and it will find the name of the song and artist for you. Midomi will also try to ID the song if you hum or sing it. I guess it didn't like my singing cuz that didnt work so well for me.

    Comic Touch -- From the makers of Skitch (my fav mac application) come this really cool app. It's $5 but worth it. http://plasq.com/comictouch

    Friend Book -- I haven't downloaded this but i think it's really cool how you can share contact info. With the GPS and accelerometer, two linked phones that are shaking near each other can pass contact info from one to the other.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DFOozO0390g

    I downloaded a bunch of other apps like backgammon, Texas Holdem, some movie listings apps, some shopping and gaming apps. The awesome thing is that this is just the beginning. Imagine what other cool apps that are still in development.

  15. #95
    GRT
    GRT is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,272
    BG Level
    7

    lol ya, 199 bucks phone with 80 bucks/month service fee on a 2 year contract

    there is no such thing as a free lunch

  16. #96
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by GRT View Post
    lol ya, 199 bucks phone with 80 bucks/month service fee on a 2 year contract

    there is no such thing as a free lunch
    Usually true. I got my iPhone free and the company pays my bills. Go Team Venture!

  17. #97
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    BG Level
    8

    If all you really want is a fucking cell phone, then ofcourse your going to be dissapointed lol.

    This isnt a phone, its an experience. Im pretty sure it cures cancer too, ends world hunger, and helps you lose weight.

  18. #98
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    If all you really want is a fucking cell phone, then ofcourse your going to be dissapointed lol.

    This isnt a phone, its an experience. Im pretty sure it cures cancer too, ends world hunger, and helps you lose weight.
    I believe it does all of the above aside aid you in losing weight. Actually... I lied... it doubles as an Ipod so yes... it can help you lose weight!

    And where do you get $80/month plan? It's only $40 extra for me [ontop of my existing phone bill], & I'm sure you could get cheaper plans that what I need.

  19. #99
    GRT
    GRT is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,272
    BG Level
    7

    it's a simple concept

    haven't you heard about people getting extremely cutting edge phones for FREE at some chinese phone store with a 2 year contract?

    at&t is making every penny back and more with the contract, so don't think you are getting a steal of the deal paying only 199 for the phone

  20. #100
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by elphaba View Post
    The cheapest plan for starting out is $69, which includes no text messaging... whatsoever. For unlimited texts you're looking at $20 / mo. Which killed me, which is why i'll never get an iPhone for a very long time. I text more than I talk nowadays, the same plan like that through VM is $65 after taxes etc.

    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...phone-info.jsp
    You can get around the text messaging by using the AIM app which is free in the app store. Does IM and SMS texts. There are some other apps that do that too. A person could use these programs even if they did not sign up for texts with AT&T. (Including the iPod Touch.)

    I heard they were still buggy and they only work if you have the app currently open so I never really bothered.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast