Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 306

Thread: Iphone 3g with GPS!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #161
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    For free stuff, I recommend TapTap, very addictive.
    Labyrinth LE looks fantastic on iPhone, and the controls are much easier than Super Monkey all or Crash Kart (have both).

    Midomi vs Shazam, Midomi wins hands down imo.

    The Facebook have more advanced function the the usual safari iphone version (can tag photos etc.....), highly recommended as well.
    The added benefit of Labyrinth LE is that there is a level in the "Settings". It is intended to be used to calibrate the game but you can use it as a level in real life applications like hanging a picture or building a birdhouse.

  2. #162
    WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,065
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    It isn't much more of a drain on the battery than anything else, really, since its your computer that's doing all the work. All your iphone is doing is sending commands to the computer, and getting screenshots back.

    1) Download and install a VNC server (I used http://www.uvnc.com) on your computer
    2) Download and install MochaVNC from the App Store on your iphone
    3) Change windower launch.ini to a resolution of 420x380
    4) Using MochaVNC, connect to your computer.
    5) Start up POL and run FFXI (this has to be done after connecting, because the act of connecting/disconnecting flickers your monitor for a second which causes POL to crash)

    Both UltraVNC and MochaVNC are free, and quick to install. The only thing you might have to do is go into your router settings and set up port forwarding. In the case of UltraVNC, set up port 5900 to be forwarded to port 5900 of your computers internal IP (e.g. 192.168.0.x), and in MochaVNC you will connect to your router's IP (as seen from the outside, try www.whatsmyip.org).

    You can play with the UltraVNC properties (be sure to set your password and login settings), and you can change whether to poll the entire screen, or just the active window, etc. to increase the speed/reduce bandwidth.

    You could just scroll/zoom in on a full sized windower window, rather than change the resolution to 420x380, however then everything would be too tiny to read or see and you'd be constantly zooming in and scrolling around. If you set the resolution to 420x380, then you get a more compact but readable display, as shown. Plus, the VNC only has to send you updates on a 420x380 portion of the screen rather than a 1900x1620 portion.

    Disclaimer: Inputs are a bit awkward and the framerate sucks, although on wifi and some tweaks to the VNC settings, it's not entirely unbearable. You can move with the mouse or the keyboard, but the keyboard takes up half the screen, and you'll have to do macros by hitting ALT or CTRL (to "activate" the key) then the number to be ALT'd, etc. so it's not exactly something you can realistically expect to play and react quickly on. But, you can chat, /sea, etc. just fine.
    I've been jerking with MochaVNC on my iPod touch and I had no idea it would work this well. I'll give it a shot from work later on!

  3. #163
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    BG Level
    8

    Izzy's production lvl at work just hit 0%

  4. #164
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Izzy's production lvl at work just hit 0%
    As if the Iphone didn't already screw up everyone's productivity...

  5. #165
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,147
    BG Level
    7

    Is there anyway to prevent the phone from going "dead" while you're making a call? What I mean is, while I'm talking the screen just goes away and I can't use any of the touch features (it's just a black screen) but I can talk/listen. I have to essentially shut the phone off then on, using the button up in order to use it again.

    Edit: Alright, apparently the protective casing I have sucks royal balls. Taking it off did the trick.

    Any recommended casing? I'm using something called the MobileGlove.

  6. #166
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Quote Originally Posted by fren. View Post
    Is there anyway to prevent the phone from going "dead" while you're making a call? What I mean is, while I'm talking the screen just goes away and I can't use any of the touch features (it's just a black screen) but I can talk/listen. I have to essentially shut the phone off then on, using the button up in order to use it again.

    I tried making a phone call to my college and was listening to the automated messages (Push 1/2/3/4 etc to get connected to different services ) and the phone just went blank and I couldn't do anything. I put the "auto-lock" setting to never and that didn't work.
    i dunno about your phone... when I take the iPhone off speaker and put it to my ear, the screen does go dark. But when I move it away from my ear (even if im in the middle of a call) it lights back up w/in a second w/o me touching anything. Outside of phone calls the phone is designed to lock in about 1-2min['s]of inactivity in order to conserve battery life if your not running a specific app. If your running an app then it locks in about 3-5 minutes, but the screen darkens first to give you heads up

  7. #167
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    380
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

    So what games can everyone recommend? Bought a few myself, so I guess I'll list them from best to worst:

    1. Motion X Poker (Must-have. Played this for almost 4 hours straight the first day I got it.)
    2. Trism
    3. SUDOKU (EA version)
    4. Crash Nitro Kart
    5. Dizzy Bee
    6. Critter Crunch
    7. Jirbo Break ("Brickbreaker" + free = )

  8. #168
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Oh yeah... what type of screen protector would somebody recommend? I have the gell case w/I really like [that goes around the sides & back] & I bought some type of film you put on the screen to protect it from scratches... it came w/ 3 sheets/attempts... and it's impossible to put them on w/o some major bubblage going on so I took it off. Kinda hoping there is something else that works since I'm timmid w/where I put the phone cause I don't want to scratch the screen.

  9. #169
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    380
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Oh yeah... what type of screen protector would somebody recommend? I have the gell case w/I really like [that goes around the sides & back] & I bought some type of film you put on the screen to protect it from scratches... it came w/ 3 sheets/attempts... and it's impossible to put them on w/o some major bubblage going on so I took it off. Kinda hoping there is something else that works since I'm timmid w/where I put the phone cause I don't want to scratch the screen.
    Currently using Power Support Crystal Film. Comes with only 2 sheets and is kinda expensive, but it's the only screen protectors the Apple store carries. Would like to eventually get a full-body film (InvisibleShield) so I can ditch the case, but it seriously looks like a pain in the ass to apply correctly.

  10. #170
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Currently using Power Support Crystal Film. Comes with only 2 sheets and is kinda expensive, but it's the only screen protectors the Apple store carries. Would like to eventually get a full-body film (InvisibleShield) so I can ditch the case, but it seriously looks like a pain in the ass to apply correctly.
    I got my screen protector from the apple store when I bought the 3G so this is probably what I got. They're awesome.

  11. #171
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    i use a combo. I use Power Support for the front of the phone and the Invisible Shield for the rest. I love Invisible Shield. Only drawback is if you don't apply it perfectly because it would be prone to peel off eventually.

    I use Power Support for the touchscreen instead of the one included with the Invisible Shield case because your finger glides smoother.

    Here's some dude's review on the shield.
    http://www.appleiphonereview.com/rev...shield-review/

  12. #172
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    The Gelaskins look cool too. I dunno how durable they are since I've never seen anyone with one. But i do remember seeing them at MacWorld

    http://www.gelaskins.com/catalog.php...ategory=16&p=1

  13. #173
    Hayleystrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,069
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Wow, that's awesome. I might get some of those...

  14. #174
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,248
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

    I guess I may now participate in these topics, my sister is paying me for a few contract jobs, with an Iphone instead of cash, woo!

    The catch is, it's one of the first model Iphones so would anyone know what differences a launch Iphone would have vs the current ones? I'm guessing the GPS.

  15. #175
    Hayleystrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,069
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    I guess I may now participate in these topics, my sister is paying me for a few contract jobs, with an Iphone instead of cash, woo!

    The catch is, it's one of the first model Iphones so would anyone know what differences a launch Iphone would have vs the current ones? I'm guessing the GPS.
    The use of 3G networks, the non-recessed headphone jack, and it's slimness are the main things.

  16. #176
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    double post, unsure how to delete.

  17. #177
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    I guess I may now participate in these topics, my sister is paying me for a few contract jobs, with an Iphone instead of cash, woo!

    The catch is, it's one of the first model Iphones so would anyone know what differences a launch Iphone would have vs the current ones? I'm guessing the GPS.
    Unless she is giving you her old phone, i don't see why anybody would want to buy an obsolete model w/was twice the price of the new iPhone. The new model's GPS is not turn-by-turn voice support, but it has it's own unique perks that other GPS systems don't offer.

  18. #178
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,248
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

    yeah she's giving me her old model which still works fine hopefully, if it doesn't I'll send it back and demand cash

  19. #179
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    yeah she's giving me her old model which still works fine hopefully, if it doesn't I'll send it back and demand cash
    One of us...one of us...one of us...

    Enjoy the "Cool"-Aid.
    http://img.skitch.com/20080731-cbi8w...beww1ftdt3.jpg

  20. #180
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    764
    BG Level
    5

    Just got one ... Got all kinds of excited and then I got home. The phone is missing 1 key thing that I'm actually quite pissed about. The lack of bluetooth really really pisses me off. No file transfers? WTF. This is seriously a big deal.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast