+ Reply to Thread
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Can't install window updates.

I've recently reformatted and went to go update windows and after installing SP3 i can't install the updates that are windows site now. The updates that i was trying to install are...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)
    Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
    Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)

Is there anyway to get the updates to install or am i SOL? Thanks in advance.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Re: Can't install window updates.

Google the error code that pops up when it fails to install those updates, and go from there.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Hm, I've been running XP Media Center on my laptop (Vista SP1 & Ubuntu on Desktop), depending on what the error code is it might have something to do with your virus software. I know it sounds funny but for an update I downloaded it, disconnected from my wireless network, shut off my virus protection & then hit install and it let the windows update go. Some of the newer windows updates make me irritated.

I've been using Windows OS for a long time and I honestly like Vista more than my XP Media Center as far as security and wireless remote access go, the only issue is vista took me forever to configure so it would work nice. I'm personally not a big fan of MacOS (partially because Safari blows and working in Web Development forces me to fix code for that POS browser)., but windows has never let me down in a long time...till the recent string of updates.

Long Story Short, as someone said google the error code. If all else fails maybe try what I mentioned, some newer virus protection software packages block direct access to files windows uses to install. D:

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The updates might have been in your update que from when you still have SP2 installed, and now that you have SP3 installed, it wont allow them to be installed, since SP3 installed them.

If not, have you tried updating each one seperatly? You can do some regedit work, folder deletion, and uninstallations to get it too work, but I wouldnt suggest it yet.

MS provides free help with update issues, so give them a call/email.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

1. go here: http://www.bootzilla.org/

2. download it.

3. start the app by clicking on Pstart.

4. run dial a fix
    4a. flush windows updates
    4b. click on fix windows updates *both these options should be on main page*

Make sure you don't have a um...bootleg copy of office either....

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah this sounds like it could be Windows Geniune Advantage blocking you from downloading updates. I've had this happen before when I've done reinstalls - eventually you'll get a pop-up that tells you your Windows registration is invalid and will deactivate in X days. It's a fucking pain in the ass to get around this even using the automated reg system.