Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1107

Thread: 2008 Summer Olympics     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #21
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    912
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by BarthelloSylph View Post
    The Olympics have sucked ever since it stopped being the Capitalists versus the Communists.

    That being said, I will watch American soccer and basketball.

    Fuck Coack K though

    Hahaha UNC hatred runs deep.

    Honestly, this will be the first year I will watch the games and not be "watching" the games... there is so much going on AROUND the games this year. You know somewhere along the line something is going to stir the pot up over there, and it'll be interesting to see how the Chinese react and also how NBC will react.

  2. #22
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,050
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    I just got home from work and am watching the opening ceremonies on CBC. I turn it on NBC and low and behold, no coverage lol.

    Right now they're having the parade of nations. Can't wait to see Canada

  3. #23
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,050
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Yay Canada is walking into the stadium now. The flagbearer is Adam van Koeverden, he wpn gold in Athens in kayaking.

  4. #24
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Why am I not suprised that Canada is winning golds in kayaking. What about log throwing and pine cone toss?

  5. #25
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    696
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Why am I not suprised that Canada is winning golds in kayaking. What about log throwing and pine cone toss?
    http://www.brownsnout.com/archives/d...og-rolling.jpg

  6. #26
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,304
    BG Level
    6

    I've been watching the ceremony - some awesome bits on it, but good god will the BBC commentators PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR 2 SECONDS!

    Got this in my email today about the whole London 2012 thing and it amused as well:

    In an attempt to influence the members of the International Olympic Committee on their choice of venue for the games in 2012, the organisers of the bid have already drawn up an itinerary and schedule of events.

    A copy has been leaked and is reproduced below.



    OPENING CEREMONY

    The Olympic flame will be ignited by a petrol bomb thrown by a native of The city, wearing the traditional costume of hoodie, baseball cap and balaclava mask. It will burn for the duration of the games in a large chip van situated on the roof of the stadium.


    EVENTS
    In previous Olympic games, GB's competitors have not been particularly successful. In order to redress the balance, some of the events have been altered slightly to the advantage of local athletes.


    100 METRES
    Sprint competitors will have to hold a video recorder and a microwave oven one under each arm and on the sound of the starting pistol, a police dog will be released from a cage 10 yards behind the athletes.


    100 METRES HURDLES
    As above but with added obstacles e.g. car bonnets, hedges, garden fences, walls etc.

    HAMMER
    Competitors in this event may choose the type of hammer they wish to use (claw, sledge etc.). The winner will be the one who can cause the most grievous bodily harm to members of the public within the time allowed.


    FENCING.
    Entrants will be asked to dispose of as much stolen silver and jewellery as possible in 5 minutes.

    SHOOTING
    A strong challenge is expected from the local young men in this event. The first target will be a moving police van. In the second round, the competitors will aim at a post clerks, other young men or any bystander.


    BOXING
    Entry to this event will be restricted to husband and wife teams and will take place on a Friday night The men will be given 15 pints of Stella, while the woman will be told not to make him any tea when he gets home. The bout will then commence.

    CYCLING TIME TRIALS
    Competitors will be asked to break into the University bike shed and take an expensive mountain bike owned by some mummy's boy from the country on his first trip away from home. All against the clock. Bonus points if its David Cameron’s bike

    MODERN PENTATHLON
    Amended to include mugging, breaking and entering, flashing, joy riding and arson.

    SWIMMING
    Competitors will be thrown off the Pier Head into the Thames and the first three survivors back will decide the medals.

    MEN'S 50KM WALK
    Unfortunately this will have to be cancelled as the police cannot Guarantee the safety of anyone walking the streets of London.



    THE CLOSING CEREMONY

    Entertainment will include formation rave dancing by the members of the English Health in the Community anti-drug campaigners, synchronised brick throwing. The Olympic flame will be extinguished by someone dropping an old washing machine onto it from the top floor of the block of flats next to the stadium. The stadium will then be boarded up before the local athletes get a chance to use the stadium and help towards the next Olympics.

  7. #27
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,050
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Funny shit :D

  8. #28
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Eh, I'll pay attention to a few things I guess, seeing as how I've met (well, fixed the computers of) a few of the athletes participating.

  9. #29
    An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,178
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

    Cesaria that cracked me up.

    I watched about 15 minutes of the Parade of Nations this morning while eating my breakfast and was very confused about the order in which the nations were introduced. I'm guessing they are entering alphabetically according to Mandrin spellings of the nation's name.

  10. #30
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    As I have since I was young, I will be watching the Gymnastics competitions more closely than anything.

  11. #31
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,304
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Elesirdur View Post
    Cesaria that cracked me up.

    I watched about 15 minutes of the Parade of Nations this morning while eating my breakfast and was very confused about the order in which the nations were introduced. I'm guessing they are entering alphabetically according to Mandrin spellings of the nation's name.
    According to the BBC WE DON'T SHUT UP OOOH WATCH THIS NEXT BIT CREW - they were ordered according to the number of strokes in the first character of the nation's name or something - threw Australia out being almost last instead of their usual right near the start thing.

  12. #32
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    233
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Elesirdur View Post
    Cesaria that cracked me up.

    I watched about 15 minutes of the Parade of Nations this morning while eating my breakfast and was very confused about the order in which the nations were introduced. I'm guessing they are entering alphabetically according to Mandrin spellings of the nation's name.
    ACtually, they appeared in order of the Greece Characters. Not sure how it works exactly, but that is the order they used XD

    Was an amazing opening and they sure used a whole lot of fireworks o_O

  13. #33
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,050
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Just finished watching the ceremonies. Overall, I liked it. I only started watching when they began the Parade of Champions because of work so I'll have to catch it on the replay later today.

  14. #34
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    930
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Just finished watching it on BBC too, annoying commentators maybe but fireworks were amazing. And the way they lit the flame was quite extraordinary.

    As per the order of nations according to Wiki since I was wondering this too (tuned in about half an hour in and of course missed Finland's entry, /sigh):
    Traditionally (starting at the 1928 Summer Olympics), Greece enters first, due to its historical status as the origin of the Olympics, while the host nation marches last. (In 2004, when the Games were held in Athens, Greece marched last as host nation rather than first, although the flag of Greece was carried in first.) Between these two nations, all other participating nations march in alphabetical order of the dominant language of the host country,[citation needed] or in French or English alphabetical order if the host country does not write its dominant language in an alphabet which has a set order.

    For the 2008 Summer Olympics, Greece entered first, followed by all other countries ordered by how many strokes it took to write the country's name in Chinese. [40]

  15. #35
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Watching the opening ceremony, tape delay and all, but I must say... this has been awesome.

  16. #36
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    700
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    that was a lil creepy lol

  17. #37
    Chram
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,702
    BG Level
    7

    Wow, that thing with the blocks was absolutely amazing. This is one of the most entertaining opening ceremonies that I've ever seen.

  18. #38
    MaachaQ
    Guest

    I watched it live last night, was very very nice.

    My favorite part was the Tai-chi guys all moving in unison, took 10 months of practice for most of the performers.

  19. #39
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    I'm loving this guy running in the air, that's pretty cool looking.

  20. #40
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    opening ceremony has been really spectacular to watch in HD

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fantasy Football 2007-2008
    By Vade in forum Sports
    Replies: 217
    Last Post: 2007-12-29, 23:24